[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Wish me luck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: map1.jpg (183 KB, 1000x773) Image search: [Google]
map1.jpg
183 KB, 1000x773
I am about to close on an off-the-grid cabin in the interior of Alaska.

I have lived in 'town' here for a few years, after immigrating from the midwest. I really want to live out in the bush and this will give me the chance to do that. After saving up money from working fishing boats and cutting timber and oil sites, I can buy this thing and keep enough savings to live off of for a while.

Shit will be expensive. Heat is wood and I am going to try to cook on that, but all gasoline will have to be flown in and I will have to fly in and out for essentials.

Hope I don't die....
>>
>>676776
Godspeed anon, post pics if you can. Are you going to be alone or with a qt gf? How big are your savings and how much have you spent so far?

>Hope I don't die
B-but we are all going to die, anon
>>
>>676776
i wish we could get updates but i guess that wouldnt be off the grid. if you publish a book when its all said and done, just title it 676776 by anon and ill buy a copy. safe travels
>>
Good luck anon. This sounds more interesting than the typical thread like this on here because 99% of the people who post these threads are just dreaming empty dreams and being laughably unrealistic. Good for you for actually thinking this through and working up to it.

Have you looked into an area that is capable of being easily reached by car or boat? It might be more expensive to purchase but cheaper over the long run.
>>
>>676790
I paid $192,000 for 27 acres with a 900 FT2 cabin in pretty good shape, wood shed, 500 FT2 storage building, and a 200 FT2 emergency shelter on the opposite cornet of the property.

It has a small runway that STOL planes can get in and out of (lotsa people fly super cubs here so no shortage of guys who can fly me or supplies in and out). Also a good spot on the river for a landing, but I will have to build that. Previous owner was a pilot and he flew in and out.

No QT GF at present. Could probably pick up a native but those really aren't my type. Maybe mail order a russian?

I still have a bit more tha $100k saved. Should be fine for several years considering I still will take work as I feel like it. If a guy doesn't mind semi-dangerous manual labor he can easily make low 6 figures up here.

>>676939
Will have LOS to a cell tower so I should have internet, though it will be slow. Have solar panels for electric and a generator just in case.

>>676958
There are no roads here. Really, outside of town, AK doesn't have much in the way of roads. THe place is reachable by small boats as it is on a river but flying in and out is the best option. Faster and costs less.

I need to scout the villages along the river here and find someone willing to sell me a boat. I plan to hunt and meat is a lot easier to move when floating than in a backpack.
>>
>>677440
The cabin needs some interior work....plumbing mostly and cleanup. Otherwise it is livable. Previous owner put up a lot of wood so I won't have to cut anything before next winter unless I just want to.

The landing will be my first project. Will probably take down a few trees to use as runners and pilings and just make a simple dock.

Also need to build a game processing shed and a smoke house. Salmon run up the river so I will have loads of them to smoke. Caribou and moose abound to them too.
>>
>>677440
What are the laws regarding the use of land surrounding your property? Is is public use or no? Do you have to hunt on your land?
>>
>>677475
That sounds amazing, man. I'd love to see your progress on that. You should definitely take a lot of pics throughout the process for when you have time in the winter to make a blog. I think a lot of people would be interested in that.
>>
>>677440
>If a guy doesn't mind semi-dangerous manual labor he can easily make low 6 figures up here.
What kind of jobs are those, also what did you do to get all of your money?

Pls post pictures in the future, sounds like an awesome project

>russian qt
Great taste bro, literally the most beautiful women on earth... and they will let you fuck the shit out of them for years for a few thousand dollaridoos.
>>
>>677477
There is a lot of state owned land near here, and federal not far away.

I can hunt my land in any season, or any of the state land provided I draw tags. I should qualify for a subsistence permit which greatly opens up the fishing and hunting areas and bag limits.

>>677497
Fishing and crabbing is flat out dangerous work. Guys get hurt bad or maimed all the time and a few people die every season, but it pays well.

Timber is too but fewer people are hurt. I worked as a rigger, then as a yarder, then scored some thinning contracts with the state. Generally the pay goes up as you learn more jobs on the logging crew and it actually gets safer. Still hard work though.

I worked a contract for an oil extraction crew. It was mostly riding around on a snow machine checking to see if all the equipment was in working order. Straight dumbass work and as long as you can dress for -40F, not dangerous. Pays pretty well when oil prices are good.
>>
U got coordinates? I'm in SE AK if u know who's flying what in I can send u some stuff if u need.
>>
>>677526
Are those jobs easy to come by or are they generally contested? I often hear of ppl going to Alaska to work boats and the likes
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.