[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of food woukd you take on a 2 day hike? (Up a mountain)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (177 KB, 575x537) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177 KB, 575x537
What kind of food woukd you take on a 2 day hike?
(Up a mountain)
>>
Rich with dried black beans, oats.

Be sure to eat the oats before going uphill.
>>
File: 91YAf27+CbL._SY355_.jpg (18 KB, 336x355) Image search: [Google]
91YAf27+CbL._SY355_.jpg
18 KB, 336x355
>>675392
lots of protein in pouch or small can form (chiggin/tuna/herring/sardines/salmon/cocktail weenies, SPAM singles, etc), a jar of applesauce per day, nuts & chocolate. dehydrated soup and/or pasta packets for din-din, vitamins, coffee/tea, pic related full of eggiwegs if you got the balls
>>
>>675392
Dinner and supper are the same thing
>>
>>675392
I live in the european alps
cheese, dried sausage and a loaf of bread. Few apples. Some liquor such as a good whisky, and dried fruits.
Eating while hiking can be pleasurable, don't fall for the protein-dog food-bar nonsense.
>>
>>675403
>don't fall for the protein-dog food-bar nonsense.
this. i only bring food that i enjoy, protein bars have their place but a nice can of lemon pepper tuna, a cadbury bar, and some applesauce is way more enjoyable. hell if i'm just going for a day hike/one night i'll lug a couple cans of chef boyardee because yum
>>
>>675398
exactly what I was about to post
>>
>>675398
>>675398
Nope.
Supper is the evening meal. Dinner is the largest meal of the day. These often overlap but need not.

To OP's suggestion, it depends a lot on your water supply. If you have an excess of water (that you might use some for cooking) I'd suggest maybe two pounds of dry sausage, a pound of your favorite dry noodles or dehydrated potato, a pound or so of nuts of your choice, and a pound of dried fruit (or a jar of applesauce, that stuff keeps).

If you don't have excess water, replace the noodles with flour tortillas. Fry up the tortillas with the sausage, achieve delicious.
>>
>>675392
SAUSAGE LOAF
IT'S A LOAF
WITH SAUSAGE
POUND OF UNCOOKED SAUSAGE
POUND OF UNCOOKED LOAF
KNEAD TOGETHER
BAKE TOGETHER
EAT TOGETHER
LIVE TOGETHER
DIE TOGETHER
LET NEITHER MAN NOR POWERS OF HELL SEPARATE SAUSAGE FROM LOAF
>>
File: 1447297922787.jpg (25 KB, 750x499) Image search: [Google]
1447297922787.jpg
25 KB, 750x499
>>675794
SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED
>>
>>675392

Did the Presidential Traverse as a two day hike this past summer, this is what I packed for myself and a friend.

I knew he'd be bringing a stove and cooking kit, so I packed stuff that could be cooked for max comfiness. I put it in ziploc bags with the water amount needed written in a Sharpie, so it'd take less space in my bag.

For snacking I brought salami and sharp cheddar (I knew my friend and I would eat it by the end of the day so spoiling wasn't an issue) and triscuits, couple different protein bars, apples, THE dankest trail mix that I found at Target (it has dark chocolate pieces, hazelnuts and chocolate covered coffee beans and other various nuts).

For dinner I had a mix of quinoa, dehydrated corn and beans and tomatoes (saw it in my grocery store for like $5, it was being sold as a dinner side or something like that), brought canned chicken meat to add to it for protein.

For breakfast the next day I made an oatmeal mix with some brown sugar, dried bananas and walnuts (if you don't want to make your own there's plenty to choose from at the store, just take it out of their packaging), instant coffee and Kawa Inka (delicious polish roasted grain drink).

We also brought Gatorade powder, figured we'd be sweating balls.

Carrying enough water wasn't an issue since we had filters and access to streams so we could refill whenever.
>>
>>675392
2 days? Eh, 6 MREs then. How steep of a mountain? What's the elevation change and what's the maximum altitude? What's the terrain?
>>
>>675818
pretty much this. for such a short trip food comfort>weight/volume comfort. last couple trips i've done of about that length we packed fresh onions and bell peppers to mix in our pasta, cause why the fuck not.
>>
>>675392
>hard sausage, pepperoni or salami or similar
>cheese
>bottle or two of homebrew beer
>nuts and whatever I've dehydrated lately as munchies
>corn tortillas
>dehydrated hash browns
>homemade hot sauce

I can't eat wheat without getting nasty migraines, so I'll skip the noodles. There are a couple of kinds of rice noodles I can eat with impunity, but they aren't too easy to cook when hiking.
>>
>>675893
>Bringing MRE's backpacking
>>
Cum in a jar and save it.
>>
>>675397
If you live in the US and want eggs that don't need to be refrigerated, get local unwashed eggs. They'll last a few weeks or longer without refrigeration. If you live anywhere the FDA hasn't fucked you over, you probably don't refrigerate your eggs anyway.
>>
>>675791
Dinner is the evening meal
>>
>>676865
>unwashed eggs
those come from where they shit you know
>>
File: 20140719_194736.jpg (671 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20140719_194736.jpg
671 KB, 2048x1152
>>676234
I've discovered that I'f im going to bring beer with me on a hike that it's better to bring cans instead of bottles so you can crush them and make more room in your pack.

The last hike I went on I fucked up royally with the food. brought 2 cups of rice which i didnt even eat, noodles, 2 packets of instant oatmeal, 4 energy bars, some energy gel candy, trail mix, electrolyte tablets and beef jerky. I was pretty damn hungry the second day because the rice demanded pulling out or stove to cook it.

As apposed to a different overnight where we just brought smokies, beer and trailmix. After so many camping trips with smokies I got sick of them.
>>
>>676871
Also you can burn the cans in the fire
>>
>>676870
All eggs come from chickens' aortas. But unwashed eggs have a film that protects the egg from bacteria so the chick can develop properly without getting sick. When the egg gets washed the film is removed, exposing the pores and bacteria gets into the egg. The reason the have to be refrigerated is to slow the bacterial growth.

Many places in Europe, you buy eggs off a shelf, not out of a refrigerator. Then you keep them in a bowl on your counter until you're ready to use them. Some people wash them before they use them, but it's not really necessary.
>>
>>677268
I heard in yurope that some of the eggs in stores will have shit and feathers on them.
>>
>>677268
Aortas?

>cloaca
>>
>>676871
>the rice demanded pulling out
pulling out sucks
>>
>>677321
Yup. Which is why some people wash them before using them. But washing them immediately before using them as opposed to weeks prior, means they'll store at room temperature on a counter top, or in a backpack.

>>677441
Lol. Good catch.
>>
>>678048
The FDA requires all eggs be washed before packing because that's the most common reason people get salmonella from eggs.

The only reason euro companies don't do it is because they don't have to, and not washing them beforehand saves them money.
>>
>>678050
Yet another good reason to buy farm fresh eggs. Only factory farmed eggs are truly at risk of salmonella because of the abhorrent conditions their chickens live in.
>>
>>678115
salmonella is a naturally-occuring bacteriod in chickens' asses. because chickens lay eggs from the same venthole they schidt out of of (the cloaca) eggs are inherently contaminated. yes, i'm sure disgusting factory farms have a much bigger problem with it than happy farmchickens, but unless your chooks are getting gently douched daily there's always a risk
>>
>Americans refrigerate their eggs

Really now? Our eggs keep for weeks in the cupboard.
>>
>>675392
Nuts, dried fruits, dried/smoked meats, hard cheese, chocolate.

Seriously, 2 days is snack-food tier.

I would not bring a pot or stove since that is just a waste with such a short trip.
>>
>>678128
coffee, tea, soup, would never travel w/o heat.
>>
>>675809

> Spaz-detector needle just pegged.
>>
>>678050
Actually the number one reason people get salmonella from eggs in Burger-land is that commercial farms are not required to vaccinate their flocks for salmonella.

In Yuropoor, commercial farms are legally required to vaccinate their flocks so they have far fewer outbreaks per capita despite not washing their eggs.
>>
>>678120
If salmonella was a common issue prior to refrigeration, the egg industry would have never have been established. Eggs have always been used as food by humans.
>>
>>678188
the outside of the eggs get contaminated, the eggs themselves don't. washing, rubbing, rinsing, etc cleans them. it's not a pervasive problem, but it's a risk. chickens are messy and retarded, and salmonella grows inside their shit. it's smart to take precautions is all. you take an even greater risk eating raw or undercooked chicken meat because chickens are so covered in shit it's nearly impossble to process them without contaminating the meat with chicken shit - either from the outside of the bird or from the guts inside the bird. salmonella is nasty and unpleasant. you should wash your hands after handling chicken eggs if you want to be as safe as possible

>captcha: select all images with eggs
>>
>>678195
It would smarter to vaccinate the chickens rather than wash the eggs.
>>
>>678195
I'm not saying that it wouldn't ever happen, just that it's stupid to over-regulate something, when that same regulation just causes other problems.

Though, actually... all I was saying originally is that if you want to take eggs with you on a backpacking trip you should buy them from a local farmer, because they're shelf stable if they haven't been washed.

Captcha lol
>>
>>678199
yep, and a good point it is
>>
>>677268

What the hell? Eggs are chilled in the US? Thats odd, our eggs are on the shelf near the bread in NZ.
>>
>>678223
It's funny how people naturally believe that the way their grocer is, all grocers are. I was in my mid twenties before I found out that most places don't refrigerate eggs. I make a point, now to buy from local farmers so I can actually pack eggs on trips.

Most Americans buy that disgusting powdered egg crap to take out.
>>
>>678228
>Most Americans buy that disgusting powdered egg crap to take out.
i'm merkan and i have literally never seen that stuff anywhere, much less taken /out/. why would you do that when things like this exist >>675397
>>
>>678228

...is it bad that I actually like powdered eggs?
>>
>>678287
'course not. it's frankly an asset. people who are picky struggle a lot more, especially when it comes to perishables.

fuck I'm dying for scrambled eggs now, and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it
>>
>>678195
You are over forty times more likely to get salmonella in the USA than you are in the UK where they do not wash eggs.
>>
>>678287
Well, it's worth noting that the process of powdering requires oxidation, and that oxidized proteins are known to contribute to cancer growth. Same could be said for powdered milk and beef jerky, and who knows how accurate it is, they also used to say that margarine was better for you than butter and that smoking cured respiratory diseases. So take anything the government says with a grain of salt.
>>
>>678378
>>
>>677321
They used to but there is no need with modern egg factorys that shit died out in the 80's.

Except for the fags that pay 300% extra for "free range". Then they have to stick all the shit and straw back on just to please them, hence the extra cost.

But yeah - eggs is eggs. They last for months. You only have to drop them in a cup of water and if they float they are off.

Sell by dates and murrikatard fridge eggs are for retards that don't know how to tell when food is off.
>>
>>680404
I think you missed the point of the discussion. Refrigeration actually makes eggs go bad faster. This is why, for those of us that live in the states, the only safe way to take eggs /out/ is to get farm fresh eggs that don't get washed and are more natural like euro-eggs.
>>
>>680408
I've heard people spouting this on several boards now. I hope it's all the same person, because not one person has given source and most of the sites I've found have said studies suggest that washing will decrease incidents of salmonella poisoning. Most sites that encourage not washing eggs still say that washing eggs that are filthy or even dirty is preferable to not washing. Is there any science to this, or is it just people defending what they feel comfortable with?
>>
>>680424
Egg shells are porous. When you wash them, you expose those pores to open air, and consequently bacteria. Refrigeration slows bacterial growth, but it's not necessary if the eggs are unwashed.

Sources:
Raised by farmers
Chickens don't wash their eggs before they hatch.
People who raise chickens typically don't wash eggs, just use dirty one first and save cleaner ones for storage.
>>
>>680437
i raise chickens, and when it rains the eggs are covered in mud and shit for a couple days. i wash those, but when they're not caked in gunk i leave them alone

i've done an experiment to see which would last longer. i took 4 eggs, washed two and left two alone, one of each went in the fridge and one of each went on the counter. after two weeks i did the float test and none of them were floating.

washing does absolutely nothing but make sure there isn't any nastiness on the outside of the egg, bacteria isn't going to get inside the egg very easily until you crack it open
>>
>>680437
I'm not saying everyone has to wash their eggs or they'll die of salmonella the next time they eat one. What I'm saying is that there are a whole lot of claims being made that don't stand to reason and go against what studies that do exist conclude according to what I've found.
>>
File: DSC_3566[1].jpg (459 KB, 1296x972) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3566[1].jpg
459 KB, 1296x972
Is this enough supplies for a 2 night hike in the Tararuas in NZ? Going out with a friend who has plenty of food and another who supposedly is bringing food, but his input is probably gonna be pretty weak. Not pictured are around 18 precooked cocktail sausages and some venison for the first days lunch and dinner. Also gonna get a couple apples closer to the day I leave. A lot of these are new zealand brands so I'll list them:

>6L Bottled Water
>10 sachets of flavored oats
>almost 500g trailmix
>3 cans salmon
>9 snack bars with around 850kj energy each
>3 packets egg noodles
>3 packets fried rice (cooks in like 2 minutes with minimal water)
>>
>>680464
kinda overkill for a 2 day hike. I assume that you'll have a creek or something near by so bring a filtration device and a single bottle(preferably not some crap plastic water bottle like the ones you have, preferably an aluminum one so it can stay cold). I'd lose half those bars unless you're going to give them to friends. Same goes with the amount of oats. I'd only bring 3-4 max unless this is the entire supply for the group.
>>
>>680491
Allright, thanks for the advice. The oats and bars are for sharing. Any advice on what kind of filtration device would be best? Would just boiling extra water for 5+ minutes not be okay? I have a billy pot with me as well as a gas cooker and a bunch of spare gas.
>>
File: 20150824_153450.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150824_153450.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>680493
a hiking buddy has this which works amazing. even screw directly on to my water bottle. surprised that it's that expensive. I normally use a lifestraw though, or just tough it out and drink it raw. I hike around a lot of fresh of the glacier places tho. obviously don't take from still water or muddy water.
http://www.backcountry.com/msr-miniworks-ex-ceramic-water-filter?skid=CAS0479-CE-ONSI&ti=UExQIENhdDpXYXRlciBGaWx0ZXJzIHwgQ2FtcGluZyAmIEhpa2luZzoxOjI6YmNzQ2F0NzExMDAwMjE4
>>
>>680443
I appreciate you sharing your experiments, but there's a couple things to take into consideration in regards to store-bought eggs for the purposes of camping. First, because store-bought eggs are already refrigerated, returning them to room temperature would create condensation, which is not a situation you would have accounted for in your particular experiment. Secondly, store-bought eggs are already a couple weeks old by the time the average consumer gets around to using them.

In either case, these were farm fresh/home grown eggs not commercially produced and came from inherently healthier chickens.

I think we need a multiple-case double-blind study.
>>
>>680491
Actually aluminum bottles feel colder because the high thermal conductivity pulls heat away from your hand (and the environment) faster, resulting in the water warming up faster than in a plastic bottle. Titanium would be far better as it has a lower thermal conductivity than most metals. Consequently, titanium requires more time and heat to boil water in and far more time for it to cool back down, which are the primary advantages of using an aluminum bottle as opposed to plastic.

>>680493
Even at the start of a low boil, any pathogens have already died. You're just wasting time and fuel by boiling water past that point.
>>
>>675392
The same food I always eat every day. Why would I take anything different?
>>
>>680617
How do you cook tendies and KD on the trail? O.o
>>
>>680590
>http://www.backcountry.com/msr-miniworks-ex-ceramic-water-filter?skid=CAS0479-CE-ONSI&ti=UExQIENhdDpXYXRlciBGaWx0ZXJzIHwgQ2FtcGluZyAmIEhpa2luZzoxOjI6YmNzQ2F0NzExMDAwMjE4
>90 USD which is like 130 NZD plus the crazy high shipping fee

As a student, that might be just a tad too much. Thanks for the advice anyway. Thinking about those lifestraws, one of my other friends has one.

>>680613
So the water would be safe if I only just get it to start boiling?
>>
>>680622
>place chicken tender on surface
>apply heat

not that difficult.
>>
>>680630
>Water would be safe?
Aside from chemical pollutants, yes. But since a filter won't do anything about that anyway, a gentle boil is as sufficient of a purification method as you'll need. You could also pack a small dropper bottle of bleach. I want to say it's three drops per litre, to kill pathogens. They put bleach in the tap water in all first-world countries already, so it's nothing you wouldn't be used to.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.