[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm not sure if this is an acceptable thread or not, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Amphitheatre_Drakensberg.jpg (1 MB, 2496x1664) Image search: [Google]
Amphitheatre_Drakensberg.jpg
1 MB, 2496x1664
I'm not sure if this is an acceptable thread or not, but do /out/doors men have any good philosophies or life lessons they have learned while /out/ which they can share.

I'm going on a 2 week outdoor trip all alone and I'm wondering what i might learn about myself and whether it will change me or I'll come back just the same.
>>
>asking other people what you'll learn about yourself

could you get any more pathetic op?
>>
>>674612
I'm asking others for their personal experiences
>>
You'll come back a happier more serene version of yourself. That always seems to happen to me when I go camping.

I'd suggest taking a copy of The Sand County Alamanc by Aldo Leopold and reading it while you're out there if you're interested in /out/ philosophy
>>
sounds a hell of a lot like you're fishing for expectations to me.
>>
>>674608
So... How much acid are you bringing with?
>>
>>674625
Asking the important questions.
>>
you'll come back thinking you're some deep free thinking amaterialistic thoureau faggot who never shuts up about how great you are until after 2 more week back in the real world you'll be the same person you were before you left.

>implying you don't call it quits after 4 days of not having your mommy cook you dinner
>>
>>674632
Your post says everything about you and nothing about OP.
>>
>>674634
i meet tons of people who think some casual adventure will make them reflect and fundamentally change who they are. then surprise! they stay the same. but feel free to keep lying to op about how in tune with mother gaia you are after that one time you though really hard about hiking the pct.
>>
>>674608
I learned I'm allergic to bees and almost was kill
>>
>>674640
Just let people be dude, why do you have to have a huge chip on your shoulder, lots of people grow from solitude and adventure.
>>
>>674640
You should consider using the shift key.
>>
just make sure you shit in the river
>>
>>674608
When i'm /out/ i hike a lot and sometimes get into a subtle trance like high comparable with runners high. I start to have circular thoughts, thinking about the same thing over and over again until it becomes unclear which is the cause of that particular thought and which is the result, and there arises some kind of intrinsic conflict. It doesn't give me answers to questions per se but it does give an opportunity to analyse and look at things from a different perspective, most of the times this will be a more confronting point of view because i'm spending so much time thinking about it. This also points out how important certain nuances of the topic are which at first may seem trivial. When I'm /out/ I miss certain things, especially human contact, music, general distraction and comfort. I till a certain extent i enjoy this, as it is part of the experience. Compare it with how no one likes to get punched in the face, yet a lot of people enjoy practicing martial arts. This also gives me the opportunity to look at what is important in my life and what isn't, or what shouldn't. I also contemplate about the beauty of nature, and the wildness of life in it. For example if i see a deer, i will question where it sleeps and how it experiences the night. I will fantasize and romanticize the harshness of its every day life, but at the same time i'm actually submerged in its environment so in a way its feels very tangible and real.
>>
You'll have a lot of time to think. You might not change, and if you do it will be small. But not insignificant.
>>
>>674653
sure. just like they do at burning man. it like totally opens your eyes to like a new state of being, bro.

it can be a positive experience, but it's not transcendent. quit perpetuating that bullshit.
>>
Don't have any expectations. Just do it and see what happens and how you feel. Self-actualisation or whatever it is you're looking for isn't something you can just trigger, especially not by just going outside for a bit one time. It also depends a lot on what kind of person you are right now, your mindset, how receptive/sensitive you are to certain things. Don't expect to be changed, or you almost certainly won't be.

I dunno, I'm just spouting bullshit and I'm sure OP isn't looking for spiritual transcendance but it pisses me off seeing people looking for their magic 'awakening' that will make them a better person. It's not that simple.
>>
>>674608
The earth is essentially good, even with all of the brutal things nature does. Human nature is natural, and the best sound ever is the sound of nothing.

Trust me, as a suburbanite, this will make sense after -or hopefully, during- your trip.
>>
File: peopo.jpg (101 KB, 960x731) Image search: [Google]
peopo.jpg
101 KB, 960x731
>>675266
>the best sound ever is the sound of nothing
tfw tinnitus
>>
>>674608
>2 week outdoor trip all alone
Have you ever done any solo camping before? Ever? Even just one night? If not, you will fail. 2 weeks is a long time to be all alone with no experience.
>>
Don't do this OP. You'll just come back even more maladjusted than you are now, and filled with litost.
>>
>>675293
I understand, I suffer from mild tinnitus myself.
You need to stand in the middle of the woods and listen. Trust me, what sounded like silence when you are walking is truly beautiful.
>>
File: seasons.png (10 KB, 383x467) Image search: [Google]
seasons.png
10 KB, 383x467
>>675293
>>675387

https://clyp.it/xkljs003
>>
>>675293
>>675390

I am >>675266 and >>675387, added name because fuck it.

Yeah, that's kinda what it's like without the birds. Surprisingly, there aren't a ton of birds like that around me.
>>
>>675303
I've not solo camped before but im more than used to spending time totally alone.

Anyway I'm going to Scotland, its wild and harsh but realistically you're never more than 10 miles from humanity.
>>
>>675399
kek

i wish there was some way we could get a pool going on how quickly op packs it in. i'd say over/under is 3 nights.
>>
>>676001
Nah. I'm not a kid, I've done challenging shit before, i have military experience too.
>>
>>676015
>not a kid
>asking 4chan for help realizing existential self-discovery

whatever you say anon
>>
Salty as fuck in this thread
Have fun op
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.