[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/ how do you react when you see other hikers in the woods?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1123x749) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1123x749
Hey /out/ how do you react when you see other hikers in the woods? Do you say hi? Ever walk with them? Is there even a point acknowledging people when the trail is crowded?
>>
Sup nod and walk past
>>
File: old-woman-photo-150x150.jpg (11 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
old-woman-photo-150x150.jpg
11 KB, 150x150
I always say hi, and never travel with people. I want to be nice, but I want to be alone. Most other people do too. In the rare and horrifying case that someone on the trail is lonely and desperately searching for a friend (like old people in line at the grocery store) you don't want to give them much opportunity to engage with you and start a conversation, otherwise yer fukt. Smile, glance at them quickly with a quick greeting, look down and keep moving.
>>
>>673963

Just a "hello" and DAS IT MANE.

I get pretty autistic with strangers. I prefer to stop and let them pass or avoid them altogether.

Only on crowded places I may exchange some words, but only with old men.

If they have dogs I am playful with them though. Dogs are master race and the only strangers I welcome
>>
>>673963
I have autism so I'll say hello and that is it. When I see someone from far off on the trail I get nervous and have to plan the hello, eye contact, etc, then I will dissect the interaction for at least a couple of minutes afterwards, more if it was awkward.
>>
>>673970
Goddamn I ran into one of these fucks the other day. I guess I have a weak demeanor or something so they always come to me. Interaction is always the same, nice greeting like you do on the trail, guy will mention something and we will talk, I'll think he seems kinda nice, then he keeps talking and I realize he's a complete fucking weirdo and I have to manage an escape plan.
>>
>>673963
If white people
>Hey, how are you my good (insert gender)
>What a beautiful day to be in contact with the nature
>Where are you from
>First time here
>Nice hiking boots
>Be careful, niggers ahead

If minorities
>spat on the floor
>>
File: 1453685259038.png (1 MB, 1122x700) Image search: [Google]
1453685259038.png
1 MB, 1122x700
>>673963
I'm always on the look out for grubby hippy chicks to take advantage of. When I spot one, I usually pretend to ask for directions to the nearest trail split or play dumb and ask if I'm on the correct trail. Then I'll ask her a little about herself and what shes doing later. From there, we usually set up a camp somewhere off the trail, I bust out my big baggie of marijuana and my bottle of whiskey. We start a little camp fire and get fucked up while we share our life stories and howl at the moon for fun. Then we fuck and cuddle all night.

If it's a dude, I usually just say hey and step aside if the trail is particularly thin.
>>
Smile, nod, return any verbal greeting, move on.

If it's further /out/ I might offer some information on trail conditions or the like.
>>
I tip my wool fedora and ask them who their favorite pony is.
>>
> offer chips
>>
>>674002
i always see cute dudes on the trails but it's not possible for me to do this because there's no way to to know if they want it :[
>>
If the trail is busy then just a quick hello or nod. If I only meet one person all day then usually a chat. Almost always have a memorable conversation in that situation. If I catch up to someone on the trail, I'll say hello, and keep going past them.
>>
>>674011
You just gotta break the ice. You'll never know if you don't hint at it, most people wont be offended if they get hit on. Just indirectly state your point. Asking what they are doing later is an regular question and yet implies you want to be together later. If they get weirded out, they will make an excuse and you can tell them to have fun and walk away. If it sounds like you can meet up later, make some plans.
>>
>>674016
I don't wanna get beat :[
>>
>>673963
I look around nervously and then tell them that I just escaped
>>
>>674011
No one wants to meet faggots on trails, anon. Pls leave that degenerate behaviour to the cities
>>
>>673998
You are the guy that
>>673990
Is talking about
>>
>>674025
Sorry
>>673970
Is what I meant
>>
>>674020
You queer anon? If that's the case, don't be pushy or weird. If the dudes are straight they will probably just assume you want to chill because the trail is lonely. Be modest, not needy, and keep your gaydar on full blast. Hints include gay friendly patches, vocal tone, soft features, etc. Hikers are generally open minded liberal people anyways, nobody wants to beat you up. This isn't high school..
>>
>>674031
Yeah idunno, I never find it that easy. Also I never learned how to be open so I suck at the whole interaction in general.
>>
File: 1436931464960.png (19 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1436931464960.png
19 KB, 499x499
>>674031
>yfw he gets shot by a non-bullshit allowed dude
>>
>>674036
go hang out at a gay bar. lots of interaction, you'll probably be hit on.

watch out for stds. always get tested.
>>
File: brumbies.jpg (2 MB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
brumbies.jpg
2 MB, 1440x1080
>>673970
Its rare to meet those types wile out but there are some.

Years ago we had hiked to the top of the states highest mountain. Camped at a nearby hut and this qt comes up who seemed to be looking for friends basically. She would have walked for hours to get there. Stayed the night there with us.

Met an old guy who was mustering wild horses on horseback. He camped at the hut we camped near and got out his oxygen tank and mask but wanted to talk lots too. Had talkative people with me so they took care of that.

Another time when 4wding met a hiking group with one guy who was wrecked. Gave him a lift back to the car which took best part of an hour. Had to talk to him for a bit. Had hiked that route in the passed so had that to talk about.
>>
>>673963
If there are lots of people it's easy to do the 'nod' thing and move past.
I prefer this, or seeing nobody at all.
>>
I can usually tell if the person is in the mood for conversation or not. I always say hi, but if they or i do not feel like talking its left at that. Other times we would talk about weather, gear, where we are from, plans, or areas worth seeing in the park/forest.
>>
>>673963
I just say Hi and smile and continue walking. I don't try to initiate a conversation unless they look like they need help.
>>
>>674031
>Hikers are generally open minded liberal people
No they aren't especially where I live. We even have a local outdoor store that's run by a couple and the wife always writes the newspaper with conservative opinions.
>>
>>674085
Nice
>>
>>673963

I'm high, listening to music and enjoy I g nature...no time to acknowledge other ppl are there.
>>
>>674085
Yeah. Me being a shitskin, I can tell most hikers are hesitant to say hi to me because they're probably conservative/closet racists. And I'm in California.
>>
>>674217

So with all these autistic people on here, that couldn't possibly mean that others on trails aren't autistic or socially inept either??? Hell, I only talk to the fucking dogs I see, maybe even say hi to the owner if I took my Alex Jones proven anti autism pills that morning.

>muh all white people are racist

Just shut the fuck up dude. I've got nothing against race, just whiney white bitch mentality like you've got.
>>
I start breathing through my mouth and muttering to myself. Works like a char.
>>
>>674011
They all want it, didn't you ever watch the documentary "broke back mountain"?
>>
>>674217
They are just as scared as you as you are of them.
>>
>>673963
I'll say hi and maybe interact more if they seem cool. Either ask where they were hiking from, are going, etc. Sometimes I'll walk with them for a bit too, but that's pretty uncommon.
>>
In Sweden this is the time when we are allowed to be friendliest: we'll say a simple "hej" or "god morgon", approximate eye contact (usually by looking at boots or, if feeling outgoing, shins), and keep walking.

All that social interaction is tiring but it's nice to do when on the trail.
>>
Just say Hey or Hi or Hello.

The awkward bit is where to look when you're coming up to them and how close until you say hello. Sometimes you both say it at the same time.
>>
>>675012
This is what i do. The only thing i will avoid is old ppl, they are too outgoing and will often initiate a chat. Oh, and hello fellow Scandinavia fag, danish fag here
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.