[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Competitors to Lifestraw
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: images.jpg (13 KB, 471x312) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13 KB, 471x312
Looking for some competitors to Lifestraw, preferably ones that come with a bottle or some method to store the filtered water, anyone have reccomendations?
Appreciate the help.
>>
File: sawyer.jpg (140 KB, 800x709) Image search: [Google]
sawyer.jpg
140 KB, 800x709
Sawyer
>>
>>673267
Chlorine dioxide
>>
>>673267
Lifestraw makes a bottle with a Lifestraw integrated.

Lifestraw go bottle.
>>
>>673274
this desu, or iodine
>>
>>673270
OP, you should give this a look.

Lifestraw doesn't filter out much bacteria.. i think .004 microns compared to Sawyers .002.

Plus, lifestraw only lasts 10,000 gallons compared to 100,000 gallons.
>>
>>673299

Depends which model you get. There's one that filters everything but viruses and is quick. Then there's the other one that also filters viruses but is slow.
>>
>>673299
Yeah that sucks when the average human might consume 15,000 gal in a *lifetime*. Realistically, how many gallons do you expect to drink in the backcountry? 100 maybe? It's pretty meaningless.

Any way why does the LifeStraw get so much hype when comparable treatments have been around for decades? Platypus, MSR, Sawyer etc. They all work (otherwise people would be getting sick and not buying them) and you see them in the backcountry a lot. The only time you need to apply some rigorous analysis is when dealing with nasty city water that might be mixed with sewage.
>>
>>673359
>nasty city water that might be mixed with sewage
What fucked up place has that? Not even Flint, MI has a problem with sewage making it into water mains. The only thing close would drinking storm overflow from a combined sewer, which would be the stupidest thing ever.
>>
see also >>659204
>>
>>673267
Platypus Graphity works.
>>
>>673299
This is not true

This has been discussed at length in other threads

Both sawyer and lifestyle claim to filter the same 0.2 microns.

Sawyer overstates their claims. They have been proven to lose effectiveness after time. After hard use, they no longer filter 99.9999% of bacteria, they only filter about 75% of bacteria.

The lifestraw understates it's capabilities. It exceeds EPA testing even at the end of its life. It will better protect you from things like e.coli and beaver fever.

You're going to use either filter a handful of times a year. As long as you don't use the sawyer often, it will be fine. The lifestraw you can use as much as you want, when it reaches end of life, it stops filtering and won't allow water to flow. The sawyer will keep flowing contaminated water.
>>
>>673270
Seconded. Sawyer mini is the same price but smaller and 20x better
>>
>>673270
I just bought one to add to my get home bag. $20 at Academy and it comes with a bag and cleaning supplies. I bought another to add to my camp kit.
>>
>>673444
>>(Lifestraw) when it reaches end of life, it stops filtering and won't allow water to flow

Is that because it slowly clogs up and gets harder and harder to suck through? If this IS why it stops working then FUCK that piece of shit...
>>
>>673862
I would honestly rather have it clog up instead of unknowingly only filtering out 50% of contaminants.

If you were really in a jam and it wouldn't flow, I wonder if you could backwash it as a temporary fix.
>>
>>673862
You idiot, it does that because the pores that filter the water become filled and no longer functional.

You're saying you'd rather it just keep flowing? And you're just sucking down e.coli?

You do realize it STOPS FLOWING so you don't fucking die of some terrible gastrointestinal illness, right?

God damn it you're stupid.
>>
>>673940
You'll notice the flow slowing down significantly leading up to it stopping. You'd have plenty of warning that it's time to replace the straw. It's good for about 1k liters. Which is all the water you'd ever drink in 1 year. Seeing how most users will use it a few times a year, maybe 30 liters a year, it would be good for more than 30 years.

Tests have shown that sawyer begins to fail EPA testing after about 90 liters, which would mean it would work OK for about 2 years.
>>
>>673962
So you have a Lifestraw and got your precious feelings hurt when I said it was a piece of shit eh? Well, if it gets harder and harder to suck through, then it IS a piece of fucking shit but I guess a cock smoker like you can probably produce quite a bit of vacuum so maybe you can get more use out of it than most...
>>
>>673967
>>673444
Are those tests the ones done by Africans? All I've been able to find relating to poor performance of the sawyer filters is a study of an African village using a few for large amounts of water. My bet is that they didn't backwash them or backwashed them with dirty water because they are illiterate niggers.
>>
>>673267
>>673270
Thread pops up immediately after a Sawyer debunking thread where shills got bodied, this is either trolling or real shilling. Last thread proved the Lifestraw bottle was the best for this purpose, why is th thread in direct contradiction?
>>
>>673967

>Tests have shown that sawyer begins to fail EPA testing after about 90 liters, which would mean it would work OK for about 2 years

LIAR
>>
>>675434

You cannot gravity filter with lifestraw. It would need threaded openings on both ends for that.
>>
File: Picture 108.png (94 KB, 730x565) Image search: [Google]
Picture 108.png
94 KB, 730x565
>>675434
>Thread pops up immediately after a Sawyer debunking thread where shills got bodied

The last thread was anything but a Sawyer debunking thread. The vast majority of postings said that the Sawyer mini was undoubtedly the best filter (due to many different reasons). There was actually only one or two Lifestraw shills posting in the thread and their arguments kept blathering on about a study that's summed up in this pdf:

http://whconference.unc.edu/files/2014/10/murray.pdf

The study however is complete BS. They didn't attempt to use anything even remotely resembling scientific method. They basically handed out 200 Sawyer Point One filters (not Sawyer Mini) to a bunch of illiterate Honduran cave people then went back 2 years later and tested 6 filters. The had no idea how much water was filtered during that time. They had no idea what the quality or origin of the water source was. They had no idea if the users correctly backwashed the filters with clean water. One filter showed signs of burst fibers, suggesting that compressed air might've been used to clean it. Pic related is a slide from their PDF where they actually admit that their study is fatally flawed.

If anyone wants to read the previous thread, it's still available here:

>>659204
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF_VIg2Wpwo
>>
>>675662
They also tested after 2 months, and the people using them demonstrated at that point proper back flushing technique, and after 2 months the filters had begun to degrade.

Sorry sc/out/s, I know the sawyer is more convenient, but it just doesn't filter as well as claimed. The EPA has already asked them to stop boosting their claims, since they can be dangerous.

Enjoy your beaver fever, the lifestraw is the more proven product.
>>
>>675699

What you should be apologizing for is shilling lifestraw here. You're the only one who does it and your persistence makes it really obvious you're being paid to do it.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.