[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going Skiing for the first time, need stuffs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 14
File: ski wipeout.jpg (5 KB, 253x188) Image search: [Google]
ski wipeout.jpg
5 KB, 253x188
So I'm going skiing (with lessons) for the first time and I need the following:

ski googles
ski pants
ski jackets (maybe, I already have a very warm winter jacket; a bit bulky though)
gloves
hat
face wrap/ wind breaker

I dont have a huge budget; I'm aiming for around $300 total, but want to aim for the best-bang-for-you-buck price range.

any help?
>>
The jacket, pants and goggles are what you should spend the most money on.
>>
polyester silvers
>>
>>672977
Without knowing your locale there is little way to help you other than find a bunch of internet/amazon purchases.
Most areas have a salvage store. Ocean State Job Lot, Big Lots, etc You can typically pick up ski bibs for dirt cheap. May not be great quality but are certainly good enough to learn in. Basic black ftw.
Weather is a huge factor. I can go skiing in a turtleneck one day, light shell another, full parka another, trash bag over lining in the rain. Done it all.
For learning goggles aren't critical if you aren't leaving the bunny hill. Sunglasses are. Snow is bright.
Gloves are critical. breathable, waterproof is good.
I expect you can pick a hat.

Have fun, don't spend a ton until you know you're sticking with it.
>>
>>672977
ebay all this shit directly from china
>>
>>672993
>>672994
The closest outdoor stores are cabelas and academy. academy had squat shit, and im heading to cabelas today. I am considering purchasing via amazon, but Im going in two weeks so having to return something if it doesnt fit probably wont be doable.

Ebay from china will probably take a month so no go.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (19 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
19 KB, 400x300
don't buy anything from china that you're going to put in your mouth, on your eyes, or that will touch your butthole
>>
Invest some of that money in a helmet.

Seriously.

I never used to wear one. Thought they were dumb.

Then I fell and hit my head so hard it knocked me out. I felt like shit for 2 weeks.

After getting one, I realized what I had been missing. Not only are they safer they are so much nicer than a hat. Your goggles stay exactly in place, you never are fusing with your hat, they often have vents when it gets hot, and they are just so much nicer than a hat.

Seriously, get a helmet. Even if you're new, and think "well I wont be going that fast", it's often someone else that's running into you at full speed. Even while you're stopped.

They aren't even that expensive. $80 and you can have a decent helmet.

Go to Sam's club. They had awesome jackets there for $25 a few weeks ago. I picked one up and it's great. They also had merino wool base layers for cheap, AND even had ski goggles and helmets.
>>
>>673125
I actually have a really nice jacket from sams club. Helmets and skiis, poles, etc will be provided by the class iirc. I'll check though
>>
>>672977
I'm assuming you are doing downhill?

300 bucks isn't much, I only do cross country and my full set of clothes/goggles/helmet(for the camera mount, And Muh safety) costs about 1500 buckaroos.
>>
>>673223
Also thinking of trying out biathlon, but Goddamn, them guns and even slings are expensive as fuck.
>>
>>672977
there's some pastebins about shit in the skiing general on /asp/

your existing jacket will be fine for learning in. you can start thinking about 20k waterproof gear once you are seriously committed to the sport.

gloves you can pick up any cheap pair for $20 basically anywhere, just make sure the tag says they have thinsulate in them. there is better shit obviously, but that can wait too.

cheap nasty goggles can be acquired at any outdoorsy store pretty cheap, but aren't entirely necessary on the bunny hill, just pop on some polarised sunglasses

hat any beanie will do - it's not that cold on the bunny hill usually, at higher altitudes it gets colder. that said, like the other guy said, a helmet is a really fucking good investment

you don't need a neckwarmer/windbreaker/balaclava for the bunny hill

pants ehh it might be easier to rent them at the skifield or a snowstore nearby than buying some. if you go this route, you can also easily rent a helmet and most other gear you need

once you start getting into the sport, I would recommend investing in quality helmet and goggles first, then jacket/pants/balaclava etc, then skis, boots, and bindings.

also don't forget your base layer, polypro gear usually doesn't run too much and is much, much better than wearing cotton. merino is nicer but more expensive
>>
File: comfy.jpg (46 KB, 582x598) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
46 KB, 582x598
>>673125
100% this, concussions add up. helmet / goggles / neck warmer of some sort is the ultimate comfy tier in cold weather
>>
I'm thinking of buying a team Wendy bump helmet for the night vision goggle mount that I can use for a gopro, those should be sufficient for your regular skiing impacts, right? They are rated for white water rafting and such.
>>
>>673238
New Kit, not outside because there hasn't been enough snow this winter here for cross country.
>>
File: 20160106_214854-1.jpg (185 KB, 1201x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160106_214854-1.jpg
185 KB, 1201x1080
>>673246
Forgot picture.
>>
>>672977
for goggles just use polarized sunglasses
for jacket/hat/etc just use your normal cold weather gear

only thing you may have to buy is pants but don't bother with special pants just buy cheap rain pants and put them over warm clothing

if you're only going a few times you'll be 100% okay
>>
>>673243
Except your head will be cold as hell.

Get an actual ski helmet. They are so much better than trying to fit a hat under the helmet, which by the way, reduces their effectiveness.
>>
>>673282
>not removing the lining from your helmet anyway and running a beanie with your goggles under the helmet
>>
i've seen climbing, motorcycle, and bicycle helmets on the slopes. but yeah i wear a ski helmet now. kinda nuts to think of how 20 years ago, almost no one besides little kids wore them.
>>
>>673282
Well I have those super thin beanies that arcteryx leaf sells that's also very warm, I'm pretty sure those are meant to be worn under helmets.
>>
>>672977
sometimes you can find decent snowpants at thrift / consignment stores. Look for North Face or Obermeyer
>>
>>673125
Especially if you're skiing in the alps/german-speaking countries, those people are fucking crazy. Never before had I seen someone skiing drunk.
>>
>>672977

>Ski googles

Julbo Luna master race

>Ski pants

Trangoworld TRX2

>Ski jacket

Gryphone fleece and Arcteryx MX

>Gloves

Marmot Exum Guide

>Hat

Wear a helmet instead: Scott Rove master race

>Wind Breaker

Haglofs balaclava

Forget about not spending money.
>>
>>674498
that's a ridiculous amount of money to spend for someone who is going for the first time. the bunny slope is not that cold, and not that demanding
>>
File: 20140218_083253.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20140218_083253.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Ski lifts/ski patrol fag here.
Here is my setup for skiing/work on a normal day.

>head
Polyester Buff over my head and down the back of my neck. Scott helmet & clear-glass goggles
>neck
Cotton buff
>top
T-shirt if -10c or warmer, long sleeve wool shirt if colder.
Thin fleece jacket.
Medium thick winter jacket that is windproof. A thinner windproof shelljacket will work fine on warmer days.
>bottom
Comfortable long boxers that dont go up your ass.
Wool longjohns.
Sweatpants, thicker ones on colder days (-20c or colder).
Windresistant softshell skiing trousers.
>feet
Long, medium thickness normal socks.
Thick wool socks
>gloves
Hestra Army Leather
>>
>>675158
>Long, medium thickness normal socks.
>Thick wool socks

I find doing this means I either need to go up a size or two in boots, which is not ideal, or have circulation problems from tightness, also not ideal. just one medium thickness merino sock is what I use. smartwool and icebreaker options are good
>>
File: 20160123_085103.jpg (509 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
20160123_085103.jpg
509 KB, 1920x1080
>>675251
Would probably work fine. I've got very thick legs and use size 47 ski boots so that I can actually close the top clasps, while normally using 44-45 for normal shoes
>>
>>675259
jesus christ 42 (eu) shoes, 27.5 (mondopoint) boots here
>>
File: glacier2.jpg (46 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
glacier2.jpg
46 KB, 600x600
>>675288
42 are the size I have my Sorel Glacier boots in, but they are damned large for their size. Best winter work boots I've ever used

If you're looking for boots like these get the XT model. Better rubber than the standard, and the inner "sock" slips on a lot easier aswell as having a type of shielding on the inside that retains heat better... with that being said, I've spent 15 hours in -30c with these on my legs without the slightest tingle of cold
>>
File: mc2.jpg (79 KB, 572x600) Image search: [Google]
mc2.jpg
79 KB, 572x600
>>675288
28.0 here, I go 1/2 (mondopoint) size down and wear thin compression socks in these. Pretty comfy
>>
>>674344
>Never before had I seen someone skiing drunk.
wait what have you ever even been skiing?
>>
>>673223
1500 for x-country???!!!?! Are you smoking the crack? Or just a professional/Olympic athlete?
I paid less than 100 for my whole setup and it kicks ass.
>>
>>673364
I've never worn one and have broken multiple bones and yeah, probably concussed myself at least once.
>>
>>675158
100% this except I wear only liners for socks or go barefoot in my boots. And no helmet but I'm starting to rethink that.
>>
File: 20160106_091746.jpg (3 MB, 4128x3096) Image search: [Google]
20160106_091746.jpg
3 MB, 4128x3096
>>675158
I think I recognize that lift! Trysil? Pic related. Minus 25, had to use two Woll buffs.
>>
File: hydranus.png (31 KB, 1279x833) Image search: [Google]
hydranus.png
31 KB, 1279x833
>>672977
Get a hydranus backpack for continuous hydration, they sell them at REI for 45$, although I've seen them on clearance for 29.

Be sure to get the insulated sleeve as well, you don't want ice-cold water entering your butthole. A friend of mine went skiing in -30°C and his sphincter and descending colon got severe frostbite because he thought he'd cheap out. Never cheap out on the essentials, m8.
>>
>>676982
Hehe, yup - T10 Hesten.
If your photo was taken at the 6th of January then you might've run into me, I think I was working at the T1 Fjellexpressen chairlift that day

Enjoyed your stay or what?
>>
>>677404
T2, not T1... geh

Conditions were goddamned perfect that day
>>
>>677406
Yeah, it was perfect! Enjoyed the stay a lot. First time in Trysil in a long time, and it was better than I remembered, even though many of the lifts didn't run.
>>
>>677708
The season has been a bit rough on us snow-wise, with warm temperatures & few and small snowfalls

Most of the stuff is up and running now, although we would REALLY love some heavy snowfalls like we had the previous season
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.