[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey boys, So I ran the numbers in an excel spreadsheet and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: a-really-cool-looking-compass.jpg (855 KB, 2105x2101) Image search: [Google]
a-really-cool-looking-compass.jpg
855 KB, 2105x2101
Hey boys,

So I ran the numbers in an excel spreadsheet and the calculations came back.

Nine compasses is the optimal amount of compasses to venture with. With 9 compasses you have a 98.99997 percent chance to have a 100% accurate compass reading.
>>
>>672350
How would you know which one is the most accurate?
>>
>>672401
Good question, I guess.

So a compass can only be right 1/360th of the time, right? A human fits into a total of ten of the compass 'weights' or 'compass divisions.' That means a compass is really only right 1/10th of the time, since we can only go ten directions on the x-axis (boys imagine if we could camp on the z axis)

Anyway at home you look north, but
Since its relative, whatever you think is north and you measure a reading on your compasses. Once you have it, your initial North, for all 9 you simply turn to the next Compass Division. Once again, check to see if you have the correct division on your compasses. Then fine tune using the Turing-Table method. As long as you have 9 compasses, you will never get lost as you will always have two compasses pointing the correct direction.

Taking ten is a bit overkill as it goes from a 98.99997 chance of a 100% accurate reading to a 99.33334 chance which is negligible considering the extra weight taken on by the 10th compass.
>>
>>672450
>since we can only go ten directions on the x-axis
How do you figure?
>north is relative
No it's not
Also a compass reads magnetic north which can change due to the earths magnetism. That's why you have to adjust your readings depending on where you are in the world, sometimes as much as 30 degrees.
Also
>what is boxing a compass
>>
>>672350
Surveyor here. Take it easy on the Ritalin man.
>>
File: 502.jpg (41 KB, 351x359) Image search: [Google]
502.jpg
41 KB, 351x359
wtf is going on in this thread
>>
>>672350
why use stoneage tools?
just download a compass to your phone
i just tried the polaris pretty damn good keeps accurate track of your movement and position via gps shows magnetic north and deviation from true north also the altitude.
>>
>>673013
electronics fail. Say it slowly with me. Batteries die. Electronics short out in wet conditions. Electronics fail.
Should we do it again or are you getting it?
>>
>>673015
>implying you can't break compasses
>implying compasses don't develop bubbles and get rekt on their own
i think i would have noticed if my phone was prone to failure in the last 2 years.
the shit it withstood...
also new phones are somewhat waterproof and batter life is great but you can always carry a spare.
there is no reason to buy a stupid compass for the price of a smartphone when you have a smartphone with a smart compass.
>>
>>673021
Hey boys, OP here.

As far as your greentext, the calculations that were ran in the spreadsheet took compass health into consideration and that's why you take 9. 8 would be decent percentage for a 100% accurate reading but it ignores the fact that a compass can die.
>>
> locate big dipper
> locate Polaris
> set declination
Wtf?
>>
>>672463
>Boxing the compass
Please don't do this. A compass is a sensitive thing and boxing it can lead to physical and mental harm. A scarred compass can not be trusted. While a little blow now and then can be beneficial to its behaviour, you really shouldn't do this if you don't know it well.

>>673021
>>673151
Yes, but taking the nine smartphones necessary to achieve the 98.9 probability of exactitude might be expensive. Since it doesn't weigh you down the best option would be to have 9 Polaris (10 would be overkill and 8, again, ignores the fact that one can die - as stars sometimes do.)
>>
>>674391
i don't think you could ever do as accurate reading of position direction elevation and mapping your path with a 100 compasses as you could with a single smartphone with polaris tho.
>>
File: 1430468324860.jpg (7 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1430468324860.jpg
7 KB, 251x251
>>672450
>>
>>673013
I remember that time when a friend was all cocky proud of his paid app that show the north, and I told him it was the west. I didn't even had a compass, but I saw a map of the place and it was hard to lost the north. There were a river that went north to south and the sun was setting. It was hard to convince him that the sun don't goes down on the north.
>>
File: 1433630813161.jpg (106 KB, 600x455) Image search: [Google]
1433630813161.jpg
106 KB, 600x455
>>673151
>compass health
>>
>>674568
well 2 things
1 you must check the calibration on your phones compass before you try to navigate with it it might need calibration.
2 whatever fucks up a compass also fucks up digital compass (metals magnets electromagnets etc)

but here is the thing the magnetic compass is only one little thing in the navigation apps the other big thing is the gps and based on your vector this gps based will show you much more accurately where you are headed it will also automatically adjust your direction to magnetic vs true north based on your geolocation.
it's just a hundred times better than an analog.
>>
Hey boys,

Just got from innawoods, how's it going guys. I took 9 compasses, gratefully and unfortunately, none did give a wrong reading so this proves my calculations but it would have been nice to actually have to use a backup compass (BuC).

Has anyone used the 9C (9 compass) method? I really hope these calculations help others and not just myself.

Track well comrades.
>>
>>672350
>98.99997 percent chance to have a 100% accurate compass reading.
Define "accurate"
Accurate to within how many degrees?
Most hand held pocket compasses have a dial that reads in increments of 2 degrees. Combine that with your "pointing" or "sighting" errors, reading errors, fluctuations in the earth's local magnetic fields, and you're lucky if you can be within 6 degrees of reading a true and accurate magnetic bearing.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.