[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/out/, i have a question about wood. I moved into this rental
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: index.jpg (18 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
18 KB, 275x183
/out/, i have a question about wood.

I moved into this rental and my main source of heat is my wood stove. PG&E fell 3 trees in my front yard that were very dead and 1 fell in my back yard. i easily have 4 or more cords of dead wood.

How does /out/ handle their chopped wood? what do you do with the saw dust from cutting it? these trees were very dead, the pine needles at the top were brown, but its still burning like its wet. how long should it take to be really aged?

its dark now but if this thread is still here tomorrow i will provide pics.
>>
>>671119
>wood stove
>pine trees

pls b b8
>>
>>671120
not bait, just burning what i have. they did cut down some oak but it was alive still and is super wet.

why whats wrong with burning pine?
>>
find a place in your back yard away from your house and stack the whole pieces of wood on pallets covered in plywood. stack them neatly and cover with a tarp for a year to let the wood season. if you need it that bad, it can be seasoned over the summer. splitting dry wood is a lot easier than wet wood. as for sawdust, just use a leaf blower and rake to clean up the tree mess
>>
>>671122
>why whats wrong with burning pine?
your house will burn down
>>
>>671120
free wood=best wood, retard

that being said, pine burns pretty dirty. keep your chimney clean.

standing wood isn't apt to be fully cured. weather permitting, buck it to firewood length rounds, let it sit 'til may or so, then split it and it'll finish curing and be good to go in the fall.sit over
>>
>>671131
>just use a leaf blower and rake to clean up the tree mess
i was wondering if theres something i can use it for. im not sure if it would work for soil amendment because ive heard pine is toxic for garden type plants. but the soil here is fucking all red clay.

>>671133
>free wood=best wood
thats what i was thinking.

i was planning on splitting it all now and building a raised porch thing to stack it all on under a tarp. i read that it doesnt start drying until its cut.
>>
>>671119
>handle their wood
With vigor
>do with the saw dust
snort it

If you are burning pine for heat in your wood stove heating system you are either fucking stupid or deserve to die.
>>
>>671119
Cut and chop your wood, then stack it and clamp a tarp over the top of it. Dont run the tarp to the ground, as you want an air to flow through it so it will dry faster. Also dont wait to chop it til it's already dry, chopping it immediately will speed up the drying process by ALOT. Doing it this way, you will have dry wood within a year. (I can maybe take some pics of it, if u need it)
I have a tree splitter at my disposal, but if you dont, renting one might be overkill if it is only a couple of trees.
>>
>>671119
these other posts are mostly bs.

split some of the wood - bring some inside - stack it near your wood stove - build a fire - the heat from the fire and dry air inside inside the house will help dry the remaining wood - repeat

if you have a porch or garage, after splitting the wood stack up all you can fit there.

the most important thing to do is to split the wood then store it where it will not get rained on...
>>
pine has a ton of sap, and burns very dirty. I'd use it for a camp fire but I sure wouldn't put it in a wood stove in my house.

Tar (creosote) will eventually build up in your stove pipe, and you should then remove the tar. If you don't, you could eventually have a fire hazard, and the tar could even ignite inside the chimney pipe causing a fire.
>>
>>671146
pine's way easier to split when dry. big difference when you're doing it by hand. and it'll still fully cure by next year if he bucks it down soon but doesn't split it all til early summer.

>>671160
that'll help a bit, but a few hours to a day of drytime indoors won't accomplish a ton. you'll still get water sizzling out the ends of the logs wasting btus. unless you split it really small.

>>>671164
sweep it at the beginning of the season and you'll be fine. maybe once in the middle if you're really nervous.
>>
>>671132
Excessive creosote build up that causes chimney fires only happens if you don't properly season your wood.
Season for 1 to 2 years, give wood room to breath when stacked (space between stacks)
>>
>>671168
plus years of neglecting cleaning your chimney
>>
>>671169
which happens a lot more than you'd think
>>
>>671165
Splitting wood before it dries has never been a problem for me, though it makes sense that it would be easier when its dry.
I find it hard to believe that there would be a striking difference as long as you have a decent splitting axe. Even if there is a tiny difference, giving that it could slow the process down a bit, I'd rather put in an extra few hours work if it meant that the wood could dry 4-6 months faster, especially if, like OP, it was my only source of heat.
>>
>>671120
You can burn pine in a wood stove. Just make sure it's FUCKING hot first with some hardwood, or you're in for smoke city.

If you are going to use the pine, you're gonna have to cure it for at least 6 months. That means keeping them almost perfectly dry for that whole time.

If it's oak, it should be good to go as soon as it's dry.
>>
>>671172
splitting wet pine is literally (literally literally, not figuratively literally) twice as much work as dry pine. unless you need it rightnow wait. It will have plenty of time to cure fully if split in may.

on the flip side, if you get oak you better split it while it's wet, or you're fucked.

source: wood is also my only source of heat, so i split a lot of it, and i don't have a machine.
>>
>>671192
Did you know heating your house with wood or pellets over 20 years gives you almost as much lung cancer risk as if you'd smoked those 20 years?
>>
>>671164
>>671168
how well do those chimney-sweep creosote-cleaner logs work?
I have a fireplace with a closed insert.
>>
>>671192
Pine is pretty easy to split, wet or dry, but splitting it now will give him drier wood faster. But I enjoy splitting wood, so I might be a bit biased.
>>
>>671119
Cut it and stack it, then put covers over the stacks. It won't take too long to dry, and you can start burning it straight away, the rest will dry over time.
>>
Cut to 15-16 inch lengths,
Stack (atleast 30 ft away from your house )
Tarp over just the top and maybe two sides
Let it season for a summer /year
Split
Stack again 30 ft from your house

Ants and termites destroy houses faster than you could ever think, and wold piles also attract squirrels and mice you don't want trying to find a way into your house

I have 4 cords of split wood in my woods and another 6-7 unsplit and I have 3 squirrels living in the pile

I also don't burn pine personally unless I had no other resotr, it gums up chimneys really quick unless it's been seasoned forever and burns at the right temperature
It's fine in small quantities occationally but I wouldn't do it of that were the majority of your wood
>>
>>671192
I get your point though I still dont think splitting it green is as big a hassle as you make it out to be. In the end it depends on when OP needs it, the size of the logs and if he wants to stack it twice.
>>
File: 20160122_095243.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160122_095243.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
i have lots of wood.
>>671146
> dont wait to chop it til it's already dry, chopping it immediately will speed up the drying process by ALOT
This is what i was planning.

>>671169
i have no idea how to clean the pipe for my wood stove. it has a weird curve to it that brings the pipe back above my stove before going to the roof

>>671271
>Stack again 30 ft from your house
i have a wood shed thats protected from the rain where i store most of it bu i like to have a 6widex3tall pile on my porch. ive just been stacking it a few inches away from the house so far but im thinking about building a box for it.

pic: my pile of rounds
>>
>>671407
there's probably someplace the stovepipe telescopes. look for indications of where it's been slid in the past. if you can't figure it out hire a chimney cleaner and watch what they do, then you'll know for next year.
>>
File: 20160122_102339.jpg (954 KB, 1836x3264) Image search: [Google]
20160122_102339.jpg
954 KB, 1836x3264
>>671410
im not sure what you mean by telescope. i bet i could probably just take this pipe off at the seams but i'd be afraid it wouldnt go back on right
>>
File: 20160122_095344.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160122_095344.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
heres the one that fell in the back. Im going to make some of this into lumber. the stuff from this that im going to use to burn im makeing a special shed to put the split shit into.
>>
File: 20160122_095347.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160122_095347.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
>>671418
'twas a big mother fucker. hit my neighbors shed.
>>
>>671413
hard to see on my phone, but likely separates at the bottom bend. is there a way to access the upper chamber of your stove (where the pipe leaves) without removing the pipe? if not it definitely detaches there because you have to remove whatever you brush down. figure out how it separates, pull it apart, tape a plastic bag to the bottom to catch all the shit, and run a brush down it. when was the last time it was cleaned?
>>
File: 20160122_095228.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160122_095228.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
>>671429
>is there a way to access the upper chamber of your stove (where the pipe leaves) without removing the pipe
i can see the pipe in my stove yes.
>when was the last time it was cleaned?
we moved in here 7 months ago and my landlord said he cleaned it before we moved in. i dot know if that means the pipe or just the stove though.

pic is the giant mess PG&E left on my driveway.
>>
>>671445
i recommend getting ahold of your landlord and clarifying what he meant, but i assume he meant the whole chimney since it's his responsibility to make sure you don't die in an easily preventable fire.
>>
>>671120
>>671132
>>671138
>>671164
>>671168
>>671169
>>671170
>>671175
>>671271
I've been burning green pine (green like it was cut down half a hour ago) for two years and each spring i have had no appreciable creosote build up, when i go to sweep the pipe i can see bare metal. If you use a insulated upper half for the pipe it burns pretty clean. My wood mix is usually one part green birch (burns clean and hot in the winter when fresh cut), one part green fir/spruce/cedar and one part pine.

>>671192
FROZEN wet pine is pretty easy to split, especially if it is knotty since it shatters instead of splitting.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.