[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Solitude in the woods
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 640x400
I think I'm going to spend the next 4 weeks in pisagah national forest in solitutude. I need to loose weight badly and get more focused in life (it's gone down the shitter for the last year). It's currently 25 degrees there and it'll only get colder ( I have the proper gear) will spending this time in the woods do for me what I want it to do?
>>
>>669557
You will probably get pink eye from fingering your anus and then touching your eyeball.

At that point you will realize that you need to re-evaluate your life.

You will also lose two toes to frostbite
>>
>>669568
same

go for it OP, stay safe :^)
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I was in the forest about 2 hours ago. Something crossed the trail in front of me and ran up this hill. By the time I got my phone out to take a pic it was gone. Never go innawoods without a gun. Also it was cold.
>>
>>669557
>i need to loose weight
Have you tried untying your weight first?
>>
>>669557

Actual pretty similar ideas have been coming to me to do the same ITT use the solitude to rethink my life I swear since I first considered the idea I knew I had to do it. Its fuckin' calling me man
>>
>>669557
what do you weigh and how tall?

we need to know how far you've let this thing go
>>
Right before I joined the army I was horribly over weight. Went to the black hills in south dakota. Had camping fishing and minimal hunting stuff. If we didn't catch anything. ....we didn't eat. Spent 30 days out there lost more then 40 pounds.
>>
Don't forget to leave ask the extra shit at home. Have someone go though your shit. Minimal cash. Just enough for gas or emergency
>>
The way your body and mind feels at the end is crazy. Like a new man, or woman. Might do this again while I'm in Colorado
>>
>>669631
What do you think ITT means?
>>
Hey OP this is me in Linville gorge, pisgah is gorgeous.

That being said you're a fucking dumbass, don't run away from your problems. Exercise at home, keep your job, step back for a week tops and reevaluate shit then attack it with a plan. Clearly you don't have one. Spend no more than a week in Pisgah and come up with a plan, don't be a sad sack softbody.
>>
>>669665
Also, read up on Buddhism and/or start practicing meditation. Spirituality in general is probably a good idea if you're willing to spend weeks in solitude but that's your business.

Before I started meditating I was an unfocused neckbeard living with my parents. I'd known about meditation for a while but one day I just started meditating and everything started working out. There are tons of videos on youtube you can check out if you don't know how but basically that gist is to just spend at least an hour every weekend just doing fucking nothing and see where your mind goes. If it goes somewhere bad then challenge it and fix it (this is called Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in case you're interested). Anyways, now I'm back on track getting my engineering degree so it definitely worked for me.
>>
Op here I need to loose weight badly I'm 5'7 235 lbs and I think the woods may be the answer
>>
File: bow_before_rms.jpg (211 KB, 2172x1711) Image search: [Google]
bow_before_rms.jpg
211 KB, 2172x1711
Do shrooms, opie
>>
Been thinking of doing this myself, but I have no transportation and I don't know how to get out in the wilderness without a car.
>>
>>669697
Where do you live?
>>
>>669613
I always carry a gun in the woods I used to apprentice for a gun smith
>>
>>669719
USA, commifornia's metropolitan coastline near the bay. Any of the public forests are at least a hundred miles away.
>>
I heard cold Weather helps burn fat is this true? Any experiences?
>>
>>670063
Well a few reasons, firstly shivvering is energy intensive, since it's muscle contractions all over your body that stuff takes a lot of calories to maintain.

There's also the idea that some fat in the human body that converts fat to heat is still present (brown fat) this is mostly something that exists in newborns to help them maintain their tempature, but there is some evidence that adults retain some of this fat, and it may activate in the presence of prolonged cold. But I don't really know if that's quackery or not.
>>
So could I loose a lot of weight by hiking in the cold?
>>
>>670070
It's lose, you lose weight, you don't loose it.

Also it's unlikely that you would lose "A lot of weight" just hiking in the cold, what would let you lose weight is restricting your diet to less than your body uses. If you go out in the wilderness with properly rationed food this will make it easier to lose weight, and physical exertion would aid that. However exercise is not a panacea for weightloss, if you want to lose a significant quantity of weight diet restriction is a must.
>>
How much yall think I could loose in 4 weeks in the woods doing everything I've described above?
>>
>>670070
anon, I'm not trying to be a dick

loose - free or released from fastening or attachment:

lose - to fail to keep, preserve, or maintain
>>
>>670081
Go online, look up "BMR calculator", enter in the relevant info, copy the number it spits out and then come back to us and tell us that number.
>>
>>669557
I've done this a couple times. While it is very fun, it kinda scares you into getting motivated to accomplish things. I'll be feeling very apathetic, burned out, slightly depressed about college/work/finances/everything, and then do a solo camping trip.

By the time I'm driving home, I am usually terrified and freaking out. I feel like I need to finish college immediately or I will be homeless and working part-time at mcdonalds.

It's a good mental exercise.
>>
>>670098
Have you ever done it for 4 weeks?
>>
>>670099
No I usually just go for like 3-4 days haha. I wouldn't go for 4 weeks if I were you. Unless you have absolutely nothing going on.. I don't know.

Really, the best motivation is just to start doing something. Get a job/new job, enroll in a class, get a gym membership. Just start somewhere and get the ball rolling. Productive decisions usually create new productive decisions.
>>
>>669557
I've done this once, in the forest near my house. I intentionally lost my way and stayed in there for a week. I ate my food, roots and a rabbit.
I did lose weight. But it was from the horrible anxiety I got sleeping a week alone in the dark woods rather than the exercise. I felt there were things in there with me. I sleep with the light on now.
>>
>>670123
Strange, I personally feel quite comfortable outside when it's quilted in dusk. Feels like if anything happened I could run in any direction. It's when I'm inside a house, boxed in with nowhere to go that I start to wonder if there's something right in front of my face just waiting for me to notice it.
>>
Any of you guys live near pisgah?
>>
>>669665
>>669691

Fuck this guy.

Do it OP. The wilderness is the best healer there is. Fix your problems in the woods. You're not running away from them.

Someone suggeted to hunt and fish for food. If you have a little experience, try this. Even if you don't have experience you'll get good real quick. Get a cheap .22 (about 350 after the gun, scope, and ammo) and a fishing rod. I'm an experienced fisherman but I don't know much about winter fishing. Rappalas have always worked for me but again, dunno about winter. As for hunting, it's extremely easy to do with snow on the ground. Just know the tracks of the game you're hunting for. You could easily live off small game for a few weeks.

I suggest a Savage MkII with a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope.
>>
>>670083
You are a dick
>>
After a bad break up of a 6 year relationship and engagement i have an crazy urge to go /out/ and spend a few weeks in the wild.

Am i running away from my problems or trying to heal?
>>
>>669726
100 miles is easy you faggot. Start walking with all your gear in a backpack. When you arrive in 6 days you will have lost 10 pounds. Grab 10 pounds of food and head inna woods
>>
File: IMGP4488.jpg (85 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
IMGP4488.jpg
85 KB, 1000x662
>>670664
it's both anon. sometimes when the dog goes under the porch to die in solitude it comes-out a day later healthy and ready to go. and other times it dies under there. either way, it did the right thing.

my life went to hell, really really bad, a couple years ago. i lost basically 100% of everything i had plus a lot more. that first year of ruin i would spend a lot of time in the woods, basically hiding from society, and all the stress and depression. but it helped a lot too. it was slow, but i emerged from that peroid having healed. i don't have to go out in the woods all the time anymore, and when i get drunk i don't wander into the woods anymore either. i still go out recreationally and still love the forest, but for regular reasons now.

if you think of all the horrible things that people do to cope with problems and anxiety, going /out/ has to be way at the top in terms of healthy options. i say do whatever you want to do as long as it isn't self-destructive, fuck the psychology.
>>
>>670708
Can you tell us more about your time in the woods? What did you shelter in etc
>>
File: CRW_0025.jpg (173 KB, 1228x921) Image search: [Google]
CRW_0025.jpg
173 KB, 1228x921
>>670806
I never stayed in the woods for more than 2-3 days at a time, but I spend about 40% of my time out there. So I was gone a couple days a week and the weekend. Basically just constant camping trips because I just had to get away as much as possible. I sleep in a hammock and rig up some tarps, that's about it. Also, when I'd hang out with my friends I'd bring them out with me for the night around their side of town as well, just to get away from everyone. We'd urbex around the train tracks and explore around the rivers and old mills and stuff until sunrise. We still do, just not every week anymore.
>>
>>669557
>Pisgah
>>
File: 92857-050-8D5A0A8E.jpg (367 KB, 1600x1065) Image search: [Google]
92857-050-8D5A0A8E.jpg
367 KB, 1600x1065
>>669557

I totally support going and recharging your batteries in the woods, but if I could identify one common theme with these "flee to the forest" threads, it's that the trip is always incredibly ambitious and is being dreamed up by someone who isn't motivated or passionate enough about getting /out/ to day hike or do the occasional solo overnight trip.

However, I digress. Being alone in the bush can be a mirror. You'll see right away what you need to fix in yourself, but it's really up to you to put the work in. For me, I've realized that I'm extremely hard on myself, and I start calling myself an idiot or a retard inside - now when I'm out, particularly when I'm hunting, I practice positive self talk. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>>669665
Would that happen to be Wiseman's view?
>>
>>670123
There were.

>>670148
There is.
>>
>>669665
Good ol Tablerock mtn. And I can see Shortoff in the distance.
>>
>>670102
>haha
Stop using this expression. It makes you sound like a child.
>>
>>669557
Four weeks is a long time, anon. Bring plenty of food, first aid, and water filtration. And make sure you are mentally prepared. You'll leave after three days if you can't control your fear at least to the point of not freaking out everytime you hear a noise in the night.

What do you plan to do out there? Build a cabin? Just walk around? My recommendation would be to bring a musical instrument or a pad of paper and a pencil. Something to occupy yourself when you aren't gathering wood or building. Harmonicas are great because they're lightweight and the sound is so unnatural it scares most beasties away, and with a whole month to practice, you might get pretty good.
>>
>>670070
Weight loss is mostly diet

OP I'm a pretty big proponent of doing things in the spur of the moment and just improvising, but you kinda sound like you're making excuses, "ok I'll just go out innawoods THEN everything will be good".

Start improvement literally right now, that's how you know you're doing something legitimate. Then you can start thinking about some meditative trip to the wilderness.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.