[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How you handle vision correction while /out/? I'm badly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5
File: Reading_glasses.jpg (351 KB, 1863x1401) Image search: [Google]
Reading_glasses.jpg
351 KB, 1863x1401
How you handle vision correction while /out/?

I'm badly nearsighted, I wear glasses at my desk job and contacts when I'm doing something more active.

That works fine for day trips but if I wanted to spend a few days camping, what's the best approach? Being blind in the middle of the woods is a horrifying thought.
>>
>>668823
wear your glassed? get a strap for them if youre that much of a pussy.
>>
>>668823
>what's the best approach?

wear a blindfold for a year and heighten your other senses
>>
Just put one of those little necklace type lanyards that attach to each arm of your frames so they don't fall off your face and break.

Might look nerdy/goofy but it's better than bringing all the shit to put your contacts in and out when /out/ while avoiding getting shit in your eye
>>
File: il_570xN.242228273.jpg (46 KB, 570x428) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.242228273.jpg
46 KB, 570x428
>>668823
>>668840
I'm talking about one of these shits
>>
As well as those string things, get a flexible frame with good polycarbonate lenses and you'll reduce your risk of them breaking. Or you could get a cheap pair online and pack them as spare, they don't weigh much.

I've been using the same Lightec frames for about 6 years of use and abuse. They've been stood on, dropped, bent inside out by toddlers, and the only reason I'm replacing them is that the lenses have been badly cracked from being stomped on.
>>
File: 20160119_140541.jpg (1014 KB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160119_140541.jpg
1014 KB, 2560x1536
>>668887
Pic related
>>
>>668841
former armyfag here. Definitely this. It's what everyone who wore glasses used in basic
>>
>>668823
Are you going to be at altitude?
If not you're fine
But if you plan on going to the mountains, you need sunglasses.
Then you have a choice, be blinded by the sun, not be able to see well, or forking over the cash for prescription sunglasses
>>
>>668951
I have had success with diy scrip sunglasses. get limo window tint and stick it on a spare pair of glasses.
>>
>>668823

I use daily disposable contact lenses and take a spare pair of glasses when I hike or hunt.
>>
>>668993
Do you pack out your used lenses?
>>
>>669073

I typically throw them in the river I shit in.
>>
>>668823
ask pretty much any old person, particularly fishermen who tie tiny knots and shit.

It sucks, my eyes were great until I spent the last 17 years working computers.
Blind as shit now. Need glasses for anything 2 feet and less.
I pack so many 'cheaters' because without them I'm fucked.
>>
>>669075

>tfw not near designated shitting river.
>>
>>669078

Computers didn't do that to you.

Being old did that to you.

Google presbyopia.
>>
I got my eyes lasered. Will never look back, also enjoyed the burnt hair smell
>>
>>669124
Did it fug with your night vision?
>>
>tfw had perfect vision before i started getting into hiking
>2 years ago realized i couldnt see as far as i used to. went to eye doctor and they told me i was near sighted and they found a lump under my retina.
>lump got bigger. needed surgery to fix it.
>after surgery eye was fine for a couple months then my vision became blurred.\
>Lump came back in full force. Blurs my left eye making it very difficult to focus on anything far away.
>Have another surgery to fix this annoying problem again. After the surgery I'm left with double vision which i still haven't fixed.
Shit sucks but I manage to make it work. I wear an eye patch over my left eye while I drive and if I'm on a hike where footing is important. I also wear a contact in my right eye only so it can properly compensate for the shitty left eye. Hoping to get it fixed for the next season. If I do an overnighter I just wear my glasses and bring the one contact with some solution. I hate sweating into my glasses or getting them all fogged up.
>>
The big problem for nerds like me is steamed glasses, where is below zero, You have your hood/helmet scarf etc and You have 2 options, breathe and be more or less alive or be blind and fall into dark pit :)
>>
File: stramed.jpg (263 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
stramed.jpg
263 KB, 960x960
forgot pic
>>
>>669140

They do make sprays for that. Had to use it daily when I was in the military, it got cold as fuck on deployments. Shit worked great.
>>
>>669215
thanks mate! I will look for this stuff
>>
>>669215

You could spit on it, or rub vaseline etc. in a thin layer too. I used to put a little toothpaste in my shitty diving goggles for that.
>>
>>669140
Breathe out through your nose mate, less moisture is exchanged that way.
>>
>>668823
>be me
>can pretty much see anything I can reach
>be nearsighted enough need bifocals to see up close if correcting for distance vision

Two solutions:
>single vision shades
>rubber tube strap with a float in the middle of it so if my glasses fall off me for some reason and wind up out of the boat they won't sink
>>
>>669140
Wash them with shaving cream (foam, not gel) just before going /out/ into the cold. It'll help lots. There are additives in there that act similarly to the chemicals added to windshield washer fluid.
>>
I use my contacts an have never had any problem, I just bring some hand sanitizer and clean water so that I can wash my hands before I pop them in. I use daily contacts, month contacts are killers when /out/ as there's a much higher risk of getting shit in them over multiple days of use and therefore a higher risk of getting an eye infection
>>
>>669127
no
>>
>>669282
Be careful with toothpaste, some more popular brands have a grainier texture and they'll micro scratch the shit out of your lenses if you do that. RIP In Peace My nice safety goggles.
>>
>>672107
Doesn't help if you are a person that really fogs glasses a lot.
>>
>>672238
This works for me.
>>
>>672296
Helps a little, not a ton. If you keep them the same temperature as the air around them, they won't fog up as badly. Get some metal frames with nose pieces and small lenses so they'll be away from your face and have air circulation around the lenses.
>>
>>669127
I had my eyes lasered too, and it did mess up my night vision a little bit. My vision is pretty much perfect now, I just see slight halo's/scattering around lights at night.
but it's really not that noticeable, especially when my eyes are used to the dark.
Just to give you some perspective.
>>
worst part with having nearsightedness is that your night vision goes down the shitter desu
>>
>>669137
You can compensate for an eye? How does one contact help into stereoscopic vision?

>>668823
Have a good hardcase for your glasses that has something luminescent on it to see in the dark.
>>
Genetically inferior blind bats get out of my board
>>
>>672826
But bats have excellent vision (sonar).
They have shown that they can fly between hanging strings where they fold their wings timed perfectly.
That's superb resolution.
>>
>>672826

>t. guy who's allergic to gluten.
>>
>>672238
this works for me also
>>
>>672796
What? I'm severely near-sighted and my night vison is better tan 90% of people I know.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.