[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here /California/? I'm from the east coast and staying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20160112_144535.jpg (4 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160112_144535.jpg
4 MB, 4032x3024
Who here /California/? I'm from the east coast and staying near San Diego for a month and really want to get out and enjoy this weather. Anybody know any cool things to do? Anything really, even if its not /out/ but that's be ideal. Pic related. It's a view of La Jolla beach? In Oceanside
>>
That's Blacks Beach near Torrey Pines
>>
>get fuckin destroyed by el nino
>>
>>667180
Hitup Torrey Pines, go to Balboa, rent a surfboard, drive to the Anza Borrego Desert, climb Mt. Woodson the long way, get shitfaced at the Gaslamp, go to museums at Balboa, go to the zoo, visit Joshua Tree National Park if you wanna drive a ways, snowboard at Big Bear, visit the Cabrillo National Monument, go to Little Italy downtown, go to Oldtown, and so on. There is a shit ton to do here, especially outdoors.

Some good sites...
http://www.sandiegohikers.com/
http://hiddensandiego.net/
>>
>>667180
Balboa park is a beautiful and huge park, they have an area where they used to show black and white films with a huge organ.

If you can take a weekend trip go to Joshua tree.

In San Diego also check out the tide pools around la jolla, theres also a beach full of seals. You can also wing over by the start of the pct if you have the will.
>>
Give me a name and day and I'll leave you a free ticket to hang out up in Mt. Baldy
>>
>>668445
be careful, anon, that's just what he calls his shaved penis
>>
File: 444.jpg (36 KB, 300x315) Image search: [Google]
444.jpg
36 KB, 300x315
>>667180
Unless you really love the beach or have access to a boat there isn't fuck all to do here /out/doors that doesn't involve lots of driving to somewhere better; this place sucks in a big way for outdoor recreation.

>Only shitty warm-water reservoirs for fishing
>Lousy saltwater fishing unless you have a boat
>Lousy hunting all around
>Only places that don't take at least several hours of driving are shitty desert and shitty scrubby little mountains - virtually zero day trip potential for places worth going to because of how long it takes to get anywhere
>>
>>667180
LMFAO la jolla is like an hour from oceanside by car.

I live here, and here's what's good.

Torrey Pines, Balboa Park, Anza Borrego, Del Mar, Graffiti Falls, and Mexico
>>
>thread full of replies about /out/ activities to do around SD
>Then this whiny post
>>668467

I think the problem is not your location, it is you
>>
>>668705
>about /out/ activities to do around SD
Yeah, no.

>Hitup Torrey Pines,
Arguably the only /out/-related thing mentioned near San Diego that isn't a beach (technically) and it's still a bit of a slog if traffic isn't compliant plus it's often densely populated.

>go to Balboa,
Literally a city park surrounded by freeways. About as /out/ as Central Park.

>rent a surfboard,
Covered under "unless you really, really love the beach".

>drive to the Anza Borrego Desert,
Hours away from San Diego and covered under "shitty desert".

>climb Mt. Woodson the long way,
Overlooks a city and is also covered under "shitty, scrubby little mountains".

>get shitfaced at the Gaslamp,
Literally not even an outdoor activity

>go to museums at Balboa, go to the zoo,
Covered under Balboa Park.

>visit Joshua Tree National Park if you wanna drive a ways, snowboard at Big Bear,
Both hours away from San Diego and the former is covered by "shitty desert".

>visit the Cabrillo National Monument,
Located in a city and overlooks several other cities.

>go to Little Italy downtown, go to Oldtown, and so on.
Again, literally not even outdoor activities.

>Graffiti Falls
Not only located in urban San Diego but private property and pretty disgusting in the first place.

>Del Mar
A boardwalk is not outdoor recreation except in the loosest sense of the word.

>Mexico
Not even the same country as the US and even then is "shitty desert" to an even greater extent than southern California.

>There is a shit ton to do here, especially outdoors.
Only if you have standards so low that they might as well not exist. If you think that you're /out/ when there's a freeway within earshot - much less actually VISIBLE - then I pity you.
>>
>>668864

Fuckin savage.
>>
>>668864
Damn straight
>>
>>668445
Golden rod?
>>
>>668864
>If it's not perfect, I'm not going
>I hate the desert
>I shit on people not as hardcore as I think I am

You need to learn to appreciate what you have, or at least understand not everyone goes /out/ in the same way
There are Euros on this board who would kill for these options
>Oh no, this mountain overlooks a city
Get over yourself
>>
>>668864
This desu, glad I live in fucking BC.
>>
>>668467
>lousy saltwater fishing unless you have a boat
What species do you target? What techniques? I find it hard to imagine lousy fishing anywhere in CA. Then again, maybe I just have lower standards.
>>
>>669066
No, this guy has a point. California has become absolute shit for /out/ options. So many fucking people everywhere, you're always bumping into someone when all you want is some peace and quiet. Northern California is perhaps the only saving grace of the state. Everything below is shit, with only designated campsites, shitty trails, and far as fuck forests. I live in LA, and its complete bullshit the distance i have to drive to go to a nice federal park. State parks are absolute shit.
>>
>>667180
orange county here, the weather has been pretty gloomy lately, honestly. it hasn't been like in that picture, it's mostly been cold and/or rainy
>>
File: K (122-5).jpg (332 KB, 1280x881) Image search: [Google]
K (122-5).jpg
332 KB, 1280x881
>>669066
>You need to learn to appreciate what you have
I did when I lived in Alaska and I did when I lived in Colorado, which is why I hate living in San Diego. First I had a cup of delicious ice cream, then I had a cup of equally delicious but different frozen yogurt and now I'm refusing to eat the cup of refrigerated shit that my frozen yogurt has been swapped for and you're slurping yours down while telling me I'm being ungrateful. Go to hell.

>or at least understand not everyone goes /out/ in the same way
I'm pretty sure that only a native southern Californian could ever conceive of "getting shitfaced in the Gaslamp district" and "go to Little Italy" as outdoor activities.

>There are Euros on this board who would kill for these options
Yep, and I'm even more glad that I'm not them than glad that I'm not you.

>>Oh no, this mountain overlooks a city
>Get over yourself
Sorry I ruined the #OUTDOOR_SWAGGGGG #SOCAL thing you had going on by refusing to acknowledge a bushy pile of rocks as something worth the time of anyone not born and raised in such poverty of the natural world.
>>
>>668864
this >>668492 is me, and I agree with you

san diego is shit tier, but might as well give the guy some suggestions
>>
>>669139
What a spoiled baby
>>
>>669155
Here's a suggestion: go somewhere else.
>>
>>669357

Just calling him a spoiled baby proves his point that California is the /out/ equivalent of brussel sprouts while the PNW is the /out/ equivalent of dark meat and cranberry sauce.
>>
>>669403
t. in college
>>
>>668864
>joshua tree
>shitty desert

confirmed for piece of shit with no appreciation for outdoors

although the rest of what you said is true desu
>>
>>669649
CA
>longest trail unbroken by road
>12 14ers
>good weather
PNW is cool too, but CA has loads of stuff to do. And Brussels sprouts are delicious
>>
>>669695

Sorry, should have specified SoCal. Northern Cali is top-tier for /out/. So Cal is great for scuba though I hear. Lots of dope kelp forests and shit. Shits expensive though.
>>
>>669671
>confirmed for piece of shit with no appreciation for outdoors
Deserts blow, senpai. Seriously.

>>669695
>but CA has loads of stuff to do
Not in the south it doesn't. You have the very ass-end of the Sierras and some decent saltwater recreation and that's about it; almost all of the good stuff starts no further south than Tulare county and outside of the Sierras it doesn't get really noteworthy until the Bay Area.

Agreed on the Brussels Sprouts, though. Love those bitter little bastards.
>>
>>667633
Joshua tree / slab city.
Checked
>>
3-Day fishing trip to mexico. Then enjoy some homemade sushi
>>
>>667180
learn to love the desert because that's what socal basically is.

hiking/trails are all over but they vary in quality greatly. The best ones are up in the sierra nevada's unfortunately

you could also pick up surfing. That's pretty fun as long as your local break isn't packed or have lunatic "locals"

if you got major dosh, you could try sail boating. ton's of little islands off the coast of Ventura County that make great trips
>>
>>668864
I guess you're just some butthurt faggot with too much time and no reading comprehension. OP definitely wasn't just asking for /out activities but whatever. Have fun with your head up your ass
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.