[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Blankets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: swedish-officers-blanket2.gif (53 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
swedish-officers-blanket2.gif
53 KB, 300x225
Hey /out/ I've been trying to find a wool blanket for my outdoor kit. I looked into the surplus world as it was cost effective but I can't seem to find any of the higher rated army wool blankets. The swedish officer blanket is just gone. The German one seems to be hard to find but I did find a bulgarian blanket. The Italian is entirely too expensive for what it is. Can anyone suggest a good civilian cost effective alternative the surplus blankets or link me to some of the surplus ones I can't seem to find?
Pic related would be ideal but I don't think its available anymore.
>>
Is there a reason it has to be wool?

Even a cheap synthetic sleeping bag is as good as or better than a woolen blanket in every way.
>warmth to weight
>warmth to volume
>ease of care
>durability
>drying time
>warmth while wet
>cost
>availability

I don't mean to be "that guy"... but sleeping bags are pretty much universally used over woolen blankets by hikers, hunters, backpackers, and even militaries for a reason.
>>
>>666551
It's for the inside of the sleeping bag. It's getting Colder and I need to add a layer.
>>
>>666538
European style rothco is 90% wool and $35 on Amazon. I use mine all the time inside and out.

If you're wanting something better then look into Golden Dawn blankets on ebay. They are copies of Hudson bay blankets.

Also keep in mind a wool blanket will not keep you as warm as a good sleeping bag and it will weigh more.

The pros is wool is great in wet conditions and you'll get all the hott hippie bushcraft babes.

If the weather isn't terrible and you have a fire, it's amazing. Also, I like to add it on top of my sleeping bag when it's really cold as a layer of protection from sparks from the fire.
>>
>>666554
Have you considered a fleece liner or something like the thermolite reactor? Might be a good alternative if you can't find a good wooly.
>>
>>666538
your main concern should be weight.
ebay has czech army 100% wool blankets which weigh 4.5 lbs. and there is a 4 pound 80% wool surplus-type blanket which also sells on ebay. personally i find this to be the better deal

>>666551
do you have anything backing up the warmth to weight ratio of sythetic vs. wool? its not a huge difference.

yeah, wool may be a little heavier, but the practicality is definitely not outweighed. wool is fire retardant, and keeps warmth when wet, which is something that can actually save your life.
you idiots really think a sythetic or down sleeping bag is some amazing shit, but a simple wool blanket can work just as good or better. personally i would rather carry the extra pound or two for a nice wool blanket and maybe also a synthetic acrylic blanket layered inside the wool

this offers true comfort and freedom while sleeping.
being kucked inside a sleeping bag feels retarded, you cant move your arms freely and sleeping on your stomach or side feels retarded
>>
>>666565
>muh wool
>muh fire retardant
Get a decent bag and you won't need a fire
>muh warm when wet
Fuddlore. Wool loses insulating properties when wet slightly less than other materials like cotton or linen, and is much better down, but isn't any better than synthetic fill. A better solution is to not be so fucking stupid as to get your gear wet.
>a couple of extra pounds
So it's not "just as good or better", seeing as you need several times the weight of a sleeping bag to be warm. It's obviously not providing as much warmth for the weight.

Have some light reading.

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.co.nz/2014/09/long-term-wilderness-living-blanket-vs.html?m=1
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 620x413
>>666563
>hott hippie bushcraft babes
I can just imagine the smell now...
>>
>>666622
Most of them are really clean. They may have dreads, but their flitters are clean.
>>
>>666613

eh, sleeping bags are overpriced though
>>
>>666624
Last blonde chick wit dreads I met had less tits than a 10 yo boy, if that's your thing?

> ewwwww!
>>
>>666639
I disagree. Even cheapo bags from big box stores are still better weight and volume wise than wool and are very cheap. Same with thrift shops, I see woolen blankets for 10 to 30 dollars, whereas there are often sleeping bags for under 10. Consider that you need multiple blankets or one very large (and therefore expensive) one, and the sleeping bag still comes out on top.
>>
>>666565
>Sleeping bags are uncomfortable
Get a quilt or a synthetic blanket like a poncho liner.
>>
>>666946
Agreed, sleeping bags are only expensive if you never use them. How is paying $300-500 dollars for something you could be using for years not worth it?

A lot of /out/ting gear is expensive, but overall backpacking is a pretty cheap hobby.
>>
>wool
>>
The fact that wool is heavy is a plus. it feels comfy as heck to have some weight on you while you sleep, a thick wool blanket, dog, cat, s/o, etc. makes me sleep so much better than a sheet-thin but warm synthetic material.
>>
Anyone on /out/ sew their own blanket from wool off the roll? I found some decent deals on line for a few linear yards of heavy material
>>
There is no substitute for a sleeping bag. Do not rely on a fire to keep you warm while you sleep.

I would not use wool. It is heavy, and even heavier when wet. If you want a blanket, get a polartec one laminated to nylon. At least it will keep the draft off of you.
>>
>>666554
You shouldnt stuff your sleeping bag with blankets. What you should do is lay your blanket over the sleeping bag. It works a lot better.
And not to bash on your thread, but the differences in wool blankets are minimal. So there really isnt a lot to discuss
>>
>>666551
>>warmth to weight
>>warmth to volume
Granted
>>ease of care
explain
>>durability
I fail to see how this is possible.
>>drying time
Maybe, but bags are a lot harder to dry, you can leave a wool blanket hanging next to a fire and not worry.
>>warmth while wet
Wool is about the same as cheap synthetics, and compared to the lighter sleeping bags which often use down or other light insulation materials which stick together and compact when wet.
>>cost
>>availability
Granted.
>>
>>667844
>ease of care
Woolen blankets are more delicate and time consuming to wash and dry. You cannot put them in a clothes dryer or they'll shrink, and if you accidentally leave it on the line and it rains then you risk it stretching badly. Comparatively a synthetic bag can be washed on a normal cycle and either hung out to dry (where it will dry much faster) or put in a machine.

>durability
Comparable. They both have strengths and weaknesses; wool is better at resisting flame and will hold up better to sharp objects, but both of these are moot if you're warm enough to not need a fire and if you put your bag in a sack or inside your pack. On the flipside, a woolen blanket that is used regularly for /out/ will get worn out from washing and lose its shape eventually. Thinking about it, wool probably does edge out over a bag for durability.

>drying time
Drying a woolen blanket that is soaked takes days, even on a warm day on a line. A sleeping bag holds much less water and so it will dry much quicker. This is from my own personal experience with cleaning stuff.

>warmth while wet
You said it yourself, wool is about the same as a synthetic bag. We're in agreement on that one.
>>
>>666538
Why is covered in dreidels?

I have an Italian army blanket. Definitely more expensive, but it moves you up from 70% to 100% wool.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.