[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who /thru-hiking/ this year? Any tips from the vets?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (746 KB, 3000x2250) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
746 KB, 3000x2250
Who /thru-hiking/ this year?

Any tips from the vets?
>>
i was gonna hike the TCT through like, 4 provinces. havent done much hiking before but im confident.
>>
>>666345
The only real tip I could say about thru-hiking is that exploring off the trail, and side trails are more fun than thru-hiking primarily because there are less people. I am not a completist or a box-checker though
>>
>>666345
Not really a thru-hiker since but last year in February I hiked 250km, the only tip I can give is pack light and watch out your feet. Your fucking feet.
>>
I'm 21. What's the likelyhood of running into other people my age or will I be hiking with old niggas
>>
>>666345
Is that you, Joe?
>>
>>666345
planning on doing the Bruce Trail end to end if I can get the time off work.
>>
Planning AT thru-hike starting February.

Shit's gonna be fun. I hope I get to see snow.
>>
>>666386
its skewed towards older generations, but theres plenty of younger hikers. If you're concerned about the age gap though, you are probably pretty immature.
>>
>>666386
I'm the same age and I'm worried about this too. I have a feeling we will be the youngest ones out there. Even worse, surrounded by REI multi thousand dollar setups while I scrounge by.
>>
>>667435
Then avoid thru-hiking
There is no reason to force yourself into hiking A to B
Go exploring and have adventures instead of slogging the main trail with a bunch of normies
>>
>>667434
Typical age is late 20s/early 30s on the PCT. Also this >>667434
>>
>>667435
Are you looking for a hiking buddy? When are you starting?
>>
>>667435
>while I scrounge by
The less resources you have the more you'll have to learn to think on your feet. Get better at improvising.
>>
>>666345
in progress thru-hiking the Appalachian trail at the moment.
i have many tips
>>666386
100%
>>
>>667510
Yeah actually, I'm doing the PCT starting late April
>>
>>667549
That's around when I'll be starting. Email?
>>
>>667586
I hate sharing my personal email on 4chan...

Shoot me an email at [email protected] or post yours and I'll respond back asap.
>>
>>667635
I emailed you
>>
>>667435
>>666386
21 yo italian here,when i go hiking in the alps 80% of the people you meet are mid 40-50 with expensive setups.I always smile thinking that i will get twice as far with just a quarter of what they have
>>
>>666345
Keep your feet well taken care of.

Also, don't be a pompous asshole like the other 70% of thru hikers I've met. I cannot begin to tell you how many trust fund or gap year kids I've met who feel like they're hot shit and won't even give you the time of day. It's infuriating.
>>
>>667886
When I reloaded the webpage shit didn't allow me to keep same address. Try [email protected]
>>
>>667635
>I hate sharing my personal email on 4chan
in a world where we all don't have like 15 different email addyies
>>
Gonna do Lycian Way with my friend for 2 weeks, its my first time, dont know what to do, welp.
>>
I need travel tips here.

I have to take a Greyhound bus to Georgia from Florida. Which is the best town to stop at? On Google maps it looks like Gainesville is the best option but I'm not sure. How can I get from Gainesville to the approach trail? Taxi?
>>
>>667586
>>667635
I hope to bump into you guys. I'm planning mid April, though I thought the first was the traditional/better start date?

Also, what are you guys doing for food? I've been dehydrating chili, vegetable soup, desserts, beef for pemmican. I need to do some pastas like spaghetti, macaroni and linguine soon.
>>
>>668024
>food
I'm dirt fucking poor, planning to make $1000 last the length of the trip. Either that or I'll be getting food stamps from each state I pass through, eventually totaling around $600/mo. Cardboard PCT sign for food also hoping will help feed me. Also slingshot for squirrel/rabbit hunting.

>>>667332
>Trail Mix
>Instant Coffee
>Cliff Bars
>Snickers
>Oatmeal
>Peanut butter
>Canned meats like spam and fish
>Canned Veggies and Soup (chili)
>Instant Mashed Potatoes
>Olive Oil/Lard
>Dried Fruits
>Salt and Pepper
>Eggs
>Whatever else available at gas stations for cheap.

I was homeless for a little while last year, I'm pretty used to not using a fridge and cooking relatively natural and healthy foods on a budget. Weight of hydrated foods doesn't concern me all that much.
>>
>>668034
Dehydrated chili mac is probably going to be my staple. I'm poor af as well. Interestingly, chili mac made with powdered cheese is fortified with vitamins and contains all essential amino acids because of the legume/grain combo. The only squirrel worth the effort is the eastern grey, and those only live in towns along the PCT. The EBT system checks whether you have a card already, and they'll stop you from getting another, but you can buy balances at 50 cents on the dollar from addicts. Once you get past the first week, most people are traveling faster than they anticipated and leaving food in hiker boxes, that may be a good source for you.
>>
>>668034
Why were you homeless bro?
>>
>>668045
>>668034
I'm going to be starting a bit a earlier because I want to spend a week in LA, with an online friend I started talking to 6 years ago.

I have most of my gear except for a fancy sleeping pad and sleeping bag. Another 300 bucks invested into this trip and I still haven't even bought my plane ticket.

I'm sure it will be worth it in the end
>>
>>668045
>The EBT system checks whether you have a card already
I've had a card from OR and WA at the same time before. They ask on the application if you're currently getting EBT from another state so I lied. I was trying to get a Cali EBT too at the same time, but you have to go in and take some class or some bullshit because it's an epidemic down there so I held off. Can't say if they have updated their interstate communication systems in the past few years but the websites still look the same.
>leaving food in hiker boxes
Yeah I've read they have those food caches where you can take some stuff or leave some stuff. Some people apparently go for hundreds of miles on food from those boxes alone.
>>668096
Girlfriend and I split up, lost my job, and my car broke down all in the same week. I didn't have any family to fall back on either.
>>668101
>sleeping bag
Check this one out. $50, down, 15F, compression sack.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201493180437
>plane ticket
Take a bus or better yet, share gas with a Craigslist ride share and have your buddy pick you up in LA. I've made some lasting friendships from ride share.
>>
>>668123
I'm in Louisiana man. Sitting for that long before I go hiking would not be a good idea. I would take a train just because it seems comfy.

And sorry about your situation. Is your situation the reason for this trip?
>>
>>668125
>Louisiana
Sweet my dads out in Shreveport.
>Is your situation the reason for this trip?
Yeah I've felt suicidal for a while now. I was 5150'ed before family finally took me in. It's been rough, I'm hoping to find peace while I meditate on the trail.
>>
This is the only reason to actually get one of those patches, so anons can recognize each other on the trail and have lulz at other hikers' expense.
>>
>>668128
Mighty powerful of you to take action and grab life by the balls.
>>
File: 1439527853191.jpg (64 KB, 570x569) Image search: [Google]
1439527853191.jpg
64 KB, 570x569
>>666373
I'm doing the whole thing baby doll
>>
File: IMG676.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG676.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>666345
I did the AT in 2013
Questions?
>>
>>666345
I wish I was hiking the Florida Trail. I'm broke though.
>>
>>668125
>Take a train
Hopping or buying a ticket?
>>
>>668816
How many drops did you use and how long did it take? What's the best time of year to go and how much did it cost you specifically? Both in terms of actual dollar amount and lost wages.
>>
>>669044
Taking.
>>
Anyone interested in the CDT here? Have been thinking of taking it on given the right amount of prep.
>>
>>666796
I'll be doing it hopefully this fall! Are you planning on stealth camping, or staying at b&b's?
>>
Are down jackets a meme? Every time I Google PCT hikers they're wearing an expensive down jacket but are also wearing shorts. Couldn't I just get away with wearing layers?
>>
>>669324
almost as big of a meme as morakniv
>>
>>668023
I got a taxi to the visitor center from the gas station that the grey hound drops of at for 85 dollars. Don't remember which taxi service though, I just googled for it when I got there. The uni taxi that people mention on line is dead.
>>
>>669339
Do you remember the name of the visitor center?
>>
>>668034
>Canned foods
Are you fucking insane or something? That's going to add insane amounts of weight to your pack that is absolutely not OK for a thru-hike.

If I see you on the trail I'll punch you in the neck.
>>
>>669899
>2016
>Spending five dollars for a bag of dehydrated chili
C.U.C.K.
>>
what sort of insulation/jackets are you nigs using?
>>
File: IMG-20130519-00523.jpg (586 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20130519-00523.jpg
586 KB, 2048x1536
>>669125
It took 6 months. I went March to Sept. Snow in March was a pain, but not Impossible.

$30k?

Drops? I don't know what you are talking about. Left the trail to resupply every 3 to 5 days.
>>
>>670046
Czech army winter coat.

Pretty comfy.
>>
>>670332
Shit man that image just triggered so many memories.

>1994
>be 5-6
>family lives on a homestead in Kentucky outside a town with 200 people
>we owned the only store in town
>dad buys a miniature horse for me
>she's plump and the most fun in the world for a 5-6 year old
>care and ride her for a few months
>mid november now
>wake up and look out the window to see her nursing a white/brown colt.
>nowihave2friends.jpg

Apparently she was pregnant when we purchased her. Family ended up selling the property and moving into the city.

>2006 returning to the property
>Drive by the old place
>talk to people around the town that watched me grow up
>get to meet Fancy (colt) again, now grown up

Miniature horses were the shit man
>>
>>669324
If it's popular and out of your price range, it's a meme.
>>
>>669324
People like down jackets because they are light as hell, and compress well. And if you get one with ventilation zips you don't have to worry about over-heating.

They also aren't that expensive if you look for the right deals. I have a $280 Mountain Hardware down jacket that I got for $120 on sale because I got it around this time of year when the winter stuff is being discounted.
>>
>>670332
>$30k?

It took you thirty thousand dollars? Or did you mean 3 thousand? Did you hike it with slaves carrying you in a chair?
>>
>>674222
Reading comprehension. The other guy had asked him how much did it cost him, INCLUDING lost salary for the months he was not working his real job while on the trail.
>>
>>666345
Joe's cool, his vids are pleasant to watch
>>
>>669899
Im gonna do a thru hike for a month and im totally noob. Wondering what i should take as food? I was considering canned food but your post make a doubt. So why its bad and what i should pick as food?
>>
>>674224
I've always dreamed of hiking the AT, but this is what worries me. I don't necessarily like my job, but 6 months away from it would cost me a hell of a lot of money.

Maybe I'll prepare and if I get laid off, I'll take a few months to blow off steam and hike the AT.
>>
>>674386
The dubs don't lie. Canned foods are incredibly heavy compared to what they offer. The weight adds up quick.
>>
Planning to do another 2-week section of the PNT and then have a month planned to hit all the parts of the Olympics I haven't seen yet. Not thru-hiking but spending a lot of time outside this year.
>>
>>674386
look at the distance between resupplies on your hike. then try to pack that much canned food. the weigh and bulk will be immediately apparent after more than 1-2 days. remember that you'll need 3000 Calories and up depending on your activity goals. canned food typically has a terrible ratio of Calories to weight and volume, especially once you include the weight of the can.

you want food containing upwards of 100 Calories/oz. nuts, chips, nutrition bars, candy, oil, dried pastas/potatoes, cookies.. that sort of thing.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.