[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is an assegai a good hunting weapon? >in before durr hurr
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4
File: 71v4SGPjaAL._SY355_.jpg (9 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
71v4SGPjaAL._SY355_.jpg
9 KB, 355x355
Is an assegai a good hunting weapon?

>in before durr hurr just use gun
>>
>>665143
Gun use just hurr durr.

Op cant inb4 newshit.

Also hunt with what ever you want.. Spears are wayyy to much work for my lazy ass. Ill stick to my bows and firearms
>>
Traps are best
>>
>>665143

No just no.Fucking stone age BS.
Fuck Shaka and the Zulus.

That is all.
>>
Compared to a gun, it actually is a terrible weapon.
What did you expect, you have to run up close to animals and stab them to death. Most animals detect you and run away before that. I think the only people who use spears are africans and the guys that use dogs to hunt down hogs. It's only ever useful in a few types of hunting.
>>
>>665143
Yes, but only when paired with a wool cloak.
And +3 elven boots
>>
>>665176
This.
>>
Spears aren't actually a great hunting weapon, and an assegai isn't even designed for hunting. It's a weapon of war.
>>
>>665191
>weapon of war

Fucking liberal faggots. It's just a tool, there's no such thing as an "assault spear." I habe every right to own a spear, it's in tbe constitution! Take you sissy nospear bullshit back to commiefornia with your Prius and your gay tranny boyfriend.
>>
>>665194
Nice b8 m8
>>
>>665194
I'm not saying you don't have the right to own an assegai.

I'm just saying it's a little bit stupid to try hunting with one. It'd be like hunting with a bardiche or guisarme.
>>
>>665216
The problem is that spear control legislation is written by people who don't understand spears. I'm all for keeping Spears out of the hands of criminals and terrorists, but you can't have a bunch of arbitrary rules about shaft circumference, center of balance, etc.

I mean just because my fauchard has a fork doesn't make it some "military grade" spear.
>>
>>665223
Yes, we get it, it wasn't that funny the first time.
>>
>>665223
hunting spears have a large crossbar to keep the animal from running up the spear. this one is suboptimal.
>>
>>665257
We both know this thread was over by the second post.
>>
>>665216
I'd be surprised if the negroes that used them did not also use them to get a bit of bush meat.
>>
>>665168
>metal tool
>stone age

Choose one, mongoloid
>>
They are illegal to hunt with everywhere I've lived.
>>
No. Ever tried getting close to a game animal? Not easy.
Just use a rifle, or if you want to be macho use a compound bow.
>>
>>665755
if you want to actually hunt though,use a gun.
>>
>>665324
Get off your high horse and contribute something of worth to the conversation, you pretentious faggot. And yes, I'll have you know I DO see the potential hypocrisy of this comment!
>>
File: atlatlltalta.jpg (1 MB, 1152x768) Image search: [Google]
atlatlltalta.jpg
1 MB, 1152x768
prepare for at least a year of daily practice and maybe you can stalk a crippled deer if your lucky.

consider an atlatl
>>
>>665143
It might be, if you fire it from a ballista.
>>
File: saufeder.jpg (42 KB, 997x665) Image search: [Google]
saufeder.jpg
42 KB, 997x665
>>665259
as a sidenote:
you kill already pinned down or hurt game (mostly boar) with an hunting spear. normally.

pic related; in Germany a Saufeder can still be used while hunting to kill the game
>>
>>666038
Tree stand hunting with a bow is a legitimate hunting method.
Of course a rifle is the best way of hunting, but bow hunting is great fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOcPI1IFbTI
>>
>>666320
>>665168

A deer stand in a tree, and a food plot /feeder right below the stand
you would need a few seasons of allowing the deer to use this plot undisturbed, you would need excellent wind conditions, but it would be possible to get a spear throw at one from a stand.

the trick would be getting enough balance that high up to do it. There are some videos out there of north american spear hunting.
>>
>>665143
Hi, African here.

Spears are only useful when you can stab the underbelly and cut through vital organs. Like being a pygmy and stabbing an elephant in the heart.

Generally speaking lone hunting is not smart especially if you only have a spear because unless highly experienced you'll just piss a injured and scared animal off which makes you highly vulnerable.
>>
>>666429
where from? do you /out/ a lot?
>>
>>665755
in the right season deer might come onto you
use other bulls piss as cologne for better result

then you can use spear
>>
>>665143
Who cares? Get it to use as a walking stick. Maybe later it will be handy for something else. It'd be good to dispatch wounded, angry/dangerous animals.
>>
They work fine if you have no problems getting up close.

Study anatomy of what you're hunting from various angles.

I hunt pigs with a knife (no dog, just me), but I've used a spear before (bows and gunz when I was a noob).
>>
get a hinalung
its like a double edged knife that can turn into a spear.
http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/ifugao/
>>
>>666123
What is this, some sort of arrow lever? Is it hard to make?
>>
>>666123
fucking phoenix dude. i know EXACTLY where this guy is standing
>>
>>669627
Its a spear thrower. Basically stone age technology. So its quite easy to make.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear-thrower
>>
>>665143
>Hurr durr I want to hunt with a spear because reasons

Hunting with spears is hard, laborious and dangerous even if you actually know what you're doing. Your cold steel assegai also has no crossguard and probably a shitty shaft connection which will mean that your spearhead might break just when you need it.
>>
>>665143
I'm not going to rip into you like everyone else for wanting to hunt with a spear, if thats what you want to do then thats fine, i think everyone in this thread would actually like to experience that despite how much they might call you out on it.

But no it's not really a good hunting weapon. It's the first weapon ever made, and it was quickly realised by primitive man to not be the best at hunting. You're going to need to get very close to an animal, which is very hard, and then once you stab it, it will be very pissed off and probably attack you.

I don't know what makes that an "Assegai", it's just a spear to me. It doesn't have a crossguard which means you won't be able to hold anything at the end of the spear, it would just go all the way through.

If you really want to do it, get some javelins and practice with them, and take a gun for backup.
>>
To hunt with a spear you need dogs, lots of them, the spear is only for the kill when the game is mostly dying already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GCA7rcNLj4
>>
File: Boar Spear.webm (3 MB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Boar Spear.webm
3 MB, 960x720
>>669854
Shitting on Cold Steel stuff.

They may be a meme company for you, but damn, the shit they put their stuff through is quit impressive and brutal. I can't seem to find the youtube vids for them, they must be under a different name or have been taken down a long time ago. But, the big fat guy was the one doing the abuse tests.

>>670886
Not really.
>>
>>665191
Correct me if my anthropology isn't accurate, but aren't spears the invention that brought humans to the top of the food chain? You know, since we could use them to take down mammoths and defend against tigers and shit?
>>
>>669054
invest in a gopro
>>
>>669054
>hunt pigs with a knife

That's irresponsible of you.
>>
>>671296
why? it's easy enough to do.
i wouldn't pick pigs too big tho nothing heavier than you.
>>
>>666320
>Saufeder
Sauce on that spear please. I tried reverse image already
>>
>>671123
yes and no, solo hunting with a spear is not going to work well compared to group hunting. Spear hunts work best when you have a team to trap the game and keep them there while your other team goes in for the kill, co-operative hunting. Hunting game big enough to need a spear also means big enough to harm you and a spear may not be enough to stop it. Hunter gatherers mitigate against injury and danger where possibly, so I would imagine the solo hunter going for smaller game with other methods mostly bar obvious luck with a big animal trapped, old, unaware and close enough for a kill strike attempt (like from a pit up into it), etc.
>>
>hunting anything
just wait for the lions to kill and go and take it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNeNTMmltyc
>>
>>673440
you need balls of steel for this shit
if you hesitate or flinch first they add you to the menu
>>
>>673440
>>673723
also it's best to wait for the right moment.
first the male eats once he had his full it's the females turn and still much is left of the kill then you advance.
the male is the fighter the females are the hunters the male won't fight if he had his belly full the females won't fight period.
not very wise to try take food from a hungry male.
>>
>>665143

Did you order one yet OP?
>>
>>671111
fucking brutal quads
>>
>>665143
If your aim is steady, it can quickly become reliable.

I use a gig for spear-fishing and it's been exceptionally useful.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.