[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JERKY PROBLEM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 0110161446.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1350) Image search: [Google]
0110161446.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1350
I need help, sc/out/s!

I bought two beef hearts to make a plain (no seasoning or salt) jerky for pemmican, dried at 115F for about 24 hours, until pliable but cracking. I packed it into quart bags. That was several days ago. I went to try some today, and some pieces have a yellowish white powder on them. Google results list mold, salt deposits and tyrosine crystals as being the most common causes. It doesn't smell like mold, but I didn't salt them. Heart may be higher in tyrosine than most cuts because it's so lean, but I don't know. I don't want to throw out two stuffed quart bags if I don't have to. What do you reccomend?
>>
its fine
>>
When in doubt, throw it out.

Food poisoning is a nasty thing to have when /out/
>>
>>663267
>>663268
And equal number of contradicting opinions... thanks 4Chan...
>>
>>663268
>>663268
This is why there is so much waste in america.
I leave shit out all the time , never get sick.
I eat raw eggs , never get salmonella
Mold in my sour cream? scrape it off and eat.
Evolution gave you a nose that can tell when something is dangerous.
Use it
The world is far less dangerous than you think it is.
Oh and that jerky? Mine gets like that all the time and I still eat it.
Never once has it made me sick
>>
>>663272
That's what you get for asking 4chan for advice. We're a bunch of assholes and shitposters, what did you expect.
>>
>>663276
Actually there's so much waste in America because the industrial food system produces a surplus, but much of it is thrown away rather than distributed to those who might benefit from it because there's no profit motive to do so.

Individual food waste is a drop in the bucket.
>>
>>663264
Easy test, leave it longer and see if it grows hair. It should be fine if the moisture content is low enough. It looks just fine though.
>>
>>663284
I just got off the phone with my aunt who makes jerky all the time. She suggested this, and that I salt it next time. I won't be making pemmican with this batch, but will still eat it if it doesn't get worse after a week or two. Dogs are mad that I didn't give it to them, though. Its their new favorite food.
>>
>>663264
Post a photo that's in focus and you might get better responses.

And you need salt to help preserve the meat. I use soy sauce for that.
>>
>>663281
Worked in restaurants and bakeries most of my life. Every place I worked at that tried to give stuff to charities gave up to some extent because the charities were inconsistent in picking up or simply stopped coming at all. Even places that did stuff like composting and oil collection (for biofuel), which is much easier to deal with logistically, had a lot of issues trying to get consistent pick ups. 50 gallon drums of used fryer oil and commercial dumpsters full or overflowing of composting material spoiling out back is not a good thing for eateries.
>>
>>664202
Yeah, I have a crappy phone that doesn't focus for shit. It was more to start a thread than to help identification. Unless you can tell the difference between tyrosine and mold spores from a photo.

I've still been snacking on the pieces that don't have that on them. Dogs, too. It doesn't seem to be getting worse, and it tastes fine. I will be adding salt next time, though.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.