[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canadian Wilderness Laws
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1450112185699.jpg (777 KB, 2000x1728) Image search: [Google]
1450112185699.jpg
777 KB, 2000x1728
Whats up with canadian wilderness laws?

I can't even carry a decent airgun to hunt for wild game, theres all these protected species (can't migratory birds like ducks). Theirs bears everywhere which you are not allowed to harm. 90% of Canada is wildlife yet you can't defend yourself without some kind of permit.

Am I just reading the laws wrong, I'm trying to bicycle across Canada but it seems its not possible without a huge budget and staying at motels.
>>
>Hi, I'm going to bike 5000km across Canada but I can't figure anything out or do anything for myself
>>
>>662945
>Am I just reading the laws wrong

Yes.
>>
>>662973
Nice.

> what pants do?
>>
>>662945
>Bike across Canada
Go north/south through the US, it's a better trip (no prairie winds, more camping sites.) Kinda sounds like you should start out with some shorter trips and build up to the longer tours. Also, a good reading of the regulations will give you a better idea about what you can hunt, how, and when. Thousands of Canadians do it every year.
>>
>>662945
Our Canadian laws don't even allow us to defend ourselves against other people...
>>
>>663081
Stop perpetuating that myth, the law says that you can defend yourself with the reasonable amount of force.

Self defense with a firearm is only possible in your own home but it does happen. Like that guy in Montreal who shot the cops during a no knock raid and got off the murder charge.
>>
>>662945
Just call Pierre or a Mountie. They will save you
>>
>>662945
Can't defend yourself with a gun? Bring bear mace. You would be a foreigner in the country so why would you be able to carry a gun anyways? (we can carry guns, just not one's classified as restricted)

Also, look for hostels, they're cheaper. You can also look for crown land to camp on.
>>
>>662945
I'm not sure we want you coming here poaching our animals and not spending any money tbqh

>90% of Canada is wildlife yet you can't defend yourself without some kind of permit.
You've been reading /out/ too much, wildlife isn't out to get you. Wolf attacks on humans are so rare as to be statistically irrelevant, you won't see the mountain lion that gets you anyway, and bear spray is more effective than guns. Unless you're way up in polar bear country the only thing you'll probably need to "defend yourself" against is horse and deer flies and they're hard to shoot on the wing.
>>
>>662945
>I can't even carry a decent airgun to hunt for wild game

False. As long as you meet the requirements for FPS, you can use airguns to hunt small game and upland game birds.

>>662945
>can't migratory birds like ducks
False. You can definitely hunt ducks and other migratory birds. Duck hunting is done all over Canada during hunting season.

>>662945
>Theirs bears everywhere which you are not allowed to harm
False. You can definitely shoot a bear if it's valid self-defense. Just don't shoot one at 100m and claim it's self defense because that would be a lie just like your entire post OP.

>>662945
>yet you can't defend yourself without some kind of permit.
False. Where do you even come up with this shit?

>>662945
>Am I just reading the laws wrong,
Yes, entirely wrong. Where are these "laws" you're reading newfriend?

>>662945
>I'm trying to bicycle across Canada but it seems its not possible without a huge budget and staying at motels.
You'd better just stay home. We don't want you here.
>>
Not OP but was planning on taking a similar bike trip through the trans canadian trail

>False. As long as you meet the requirements for FPS, you can use airguns to hunt small game and upland game birds

Lets say i get my outdoors card, hunting version in my province of ontario, as well as a small game tag for the year. As soon as i leave ontario, that license to hunt and the tag become null dont they

All i plan to do is bring a 2 pound air pistol to nab squirrels here and there for protein. Going through all that trouble for certification that isnt even valid seems like a waste of time and money.

What are the chances of a] meeting some kind of parks ranger dick and b] him giving you flak about an air pistol
>>
>>663778

For the most part, hunting is licensed and regulated provincially so licenses purchased in one province don't transfer with the exception of a federal waterfowl stamp which is required above and beyond your province's specific gamebird license. As it should be. (though the hunter's education prerequisites are to the best of my knowledge accepted inter-provincially)

Non-resident licenses (like purchasing an BC license if you live in ON) are much more expensive and require you to hunt with a guide or a hunter host. As it should be.

In many provinces, small game licenses do not exist and some small game species such as snowshoe hare, and grey squirrel are not classified as game animals and thus do not require a hunting license. However, some may be classified instead as 'fur-bearing' animals and fall under trapping regulation (like red squirrels do in Alberta). This varies by province.

In any case do your research and be sure you've read and fully understand the hunting regulations of each province you're traveling in if you intend on snaring, or shooting small animals to eat.

Do not rely on hearsay from 4chan as a Canadian hunting regulation authority.
>>
>>662945
>I can't even carry a decent airgun to hunt for wild game
You sound like an Amerifat. You should know if you want to hunt here you need to hire and hunt with a guide or have family or friends to host and accompany you.

The last thing we need is a fucktard like you running around shooting our animals.
>>
>>663943
youve been incredibly helpful! So ill find out what the small game regulations are for each province ill be travelling through, but what youre saying is if I skip the licensing in ontario or any other province that regulates small game hunting, i run the risk of being fined for shooting squirrels.

Damn shame but it just not plausible to get licensed for a handful of squirrels. Anyhow thanks so much
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.