[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intresting Plants thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 12
File: opium.jpg (71 KB, 700x438) Image search: [Google]
opium.jpg
71 KB, 700x438
Hey /out/,
I'm deciding to grow some plants in my backyard that are interesting yet somewhat difficult to grow. Would you guys recommend Opium Poppy and Foxglove? I have a bunch more plants I want answers from but I'm just asking ab out these 2 right now.
>>
>>660435
Interesting * op

Interesting*
>>
Poppies are real easy to grow. Scatter seeds early and they germinate quickly. I never bother to thin mine, Just let them go. When they flower it is great. You can collect the seeds or dump them on the ground for next year. They're kinda like pepper shakers I say. Also, you can collect the seeds for cooking.
>>
Try growing tobacco. I'm gonna get some seeds soon and give it a try.
>>
>>660487
That was actually one of the other plant's I was talking about. I wasn't going to use it for recreational use, but I heard it's good at attracting humming birds, so it would help my other plants. I was also going to grow apple mint and globe thistle
>>
>>660435
It you want to do poppies, you need to start while there's still snow on the ground, they have to freeze before they germinate. Also, check your local laws. They're only legal to plant in two states, and not legal to harvest at all in the US.

>>660487
Tobacco is fun. I had a four foot tall plant growing indoors a few years ago (they attract and kill spidermites). When it flowered, it was a basketball sized orb of pink flowers, very pretty. But it's worth noting that if you touch the leaves you can absorb nicotine through your skin. Even as a smoker, I got hit with a little too much one time when I lifted a leaf to water under it. And while not illegal to grow or harvest, the US does technically require you pay tobacco taxes on your own plants.
>>
File: 4L_7QsWMGnv.jpg (90 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
4L_7QsWMGnv.jpg
90 KB, 600x450
Maypop Passion Vine. I think it's the most exotic looking flower in Texas
>>
>>660928
Unusually, The most exotic plants that are still sanely possible to grow are the one's I'm doing. Like the maypop. Or any passion vine. Also planning on growing Nightshade if anyone has tips on that

>>660866
Poppy; A beautiful plant that is yet illegal in most states. At least regular poppy is legal.
>>
>>660990
Regular poppy? The only other variety I know of is the California poppy. I don't believe there's any states that have criminalized that variety, as it contains almost no opiates.

Naturally, I assumed OP was interested in growing the Asian or "opium" poppy.
>>
>>661051
I plan on growing different varieties on Poppy. Most likely poppy that is Perennial instead of annual, but every once and a while maybe opium poppy, I had only stated that because it was the only one in my cart. I am OP. You assumed correctly. California is one. Also the Switzerland flag, but it's an Opium Poppy. Going to be dumping the plant's I tend to grow and see if anyone can lend me help.
>>
File: dannyflag.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
dannyflag.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
Danish Flag Afghan Poppy 250 Seeds - Papaver Somniferum

I assume it would be like growing any other poppy so It's pretty easy.
>>
File: tobyseeds.jpg (103 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tobyseeds.jpg
103 KB, 500x375
>>660435
Tobacco Seeds

I normally come to 4chan for fast replies but that's not always the case is it?

Also is it true Tobacco is indeed a natural pest killer? Not for all pests but some?
>>
File: lilyinthepond.jpg (30 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
lilyinthepond.jpg
30 KB, 500x332
>>660435
Lily of the Valley

I assume most poisonous plants are safe to touch so I'm going to be dumping my poisons next.
>>
Atropa belladonna - Deadly Nightshade

I've really been looking forward to this one.
>>
File: smokethishityou'reprobablydead.jpg (33 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
smokethishityou'reprobablydead.jpg
33 KB, 350x350
>>661091
Outsidepride Castor Bean Impala

No it is not fucking weed all though it does somewhat look like it. I'm better off smoking Morning Glory seeds. Which is actually on my list.
>>
File: I snort Sugar.jpg (96 KB, 429x500) Image search: [Google]
I snort Sugar.jpg
96 KB, 429x500
>>661127
Nobody likes that name and I'm talking to myself

Hoorah!

made a name so someone could make fun of me because that's 4chan

anyway Foxy Excelsior Foxglove
>>
File: loveinamist2.jpg (740 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
loveinamist2.jpg
740 KB, 1600x1200
>>660435
Yeah, both of those are easy to grow and self-seed readily.

If easy to grow self-seeders is really what you're looking for, then I recommend pot marigold and corn marigold, as these annuals can stay in bloom well into December in a mild year.

If those aren't interesting enough for you, then perhaps annual honesty, love-in-a-mist or sweet pea might fit the bill.
>>
File: Pusilla.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Pusilla.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
Prickly-pear cacti
>>
File: Arizona 009.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Arizona 009.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>661557
Also, passionfruit
>>
File: more 050.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
more 050.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>661558
Also, columbine
>>
>>661079
This is fucking cool! I've never seen it before.

>>661084
Yes. When I was growing marijuana I kept a tobacco plant with them because the thicker, more supple leaves attracted spidermites and the nicotine killed them. It may not work on current infestations, because you're likely to get one or two survivors and end up breeding nicotine resistant bugs.

If you smoke it, different varieties have completely different flavors and tones. You'd want to grow several and blend them. And tobacco needs shade to develop correctly, so you'll need latticing. It also takes years to cure properly. Its really not worth it, actually. Pretty, though.

>>661090
I believe this is what they make teething tablets out of. I could be mistaken.

Looks like a very interesting list indeed.
>>
>>661557
>>661558
>>661560

I really like the columbine and passionfruit, probably going to see if they would be good at growing, I also plan on growing the Carolina reaper. Peyote, and Synsepalum Dulcificum. would be a greath help guys.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.