[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This isn't completely /out/ related but I figured you guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Things-In-Car-2.jpg (292 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
Things-In-Car-2.jpg
292 KB, 900x675
This isn't completely /out/ related but I figured you guys would have the best ideas.
I contract at an unheated factory this winter and we don't have an indoor breakroom. I get to spend breaks in my car. The average coldest it get a here in southern Indiana is in the teens in the dead of winter overnight which is the shift I work. How do I stay warm without running my heater and wasting gas?

tl;dr Have to spend breaks at work in car overnight. How to stay warm without running heater?
>>
>>655577
Answers you'll get on out include: Wool, merino wool, synthetics, down, fleece and space blankets (kek).

Wear layers, avoid cotton, invest in a couple sodium acetate or battery powered handwarmers.
>>
Wtf kind of place doesn't have a cozy breakroom?

I'd quit that job and find a better one. Fuck that shit.
>>
Get a hammock. Lots of threads here with good choices if you know how to read
>>
>>655577
Do you have leather seats? Leather seats will suck the life out of you in the winter, use either a sleeping bag, a towel or blanket to insulate between yourself and the seat.

Trust me I've slept in my car many times, and I wished I had cloth seats every time.
>>
>>655577
Take half your weight in hardtack that's all you need.
>>
>>655864
>half your weight in hardtack that's all you need.
That and a Mora
>>
>>655577
Has an air compressor, instead of a compact foot pump.

Thats not manly, thats pathetic
>>
I put a 12v interior car warmer in my truck, ran an extentsion chord through my firewall to connect it with my block heater. So now everything I plug in my truck at night, this little bad boy gets going and my windows are clear when I wake up, and gets rid of the chill in the air as well. Try finding one.
>>
>>655577
That doesn't sound OSHA compliant, m8.
>>
File: 320338_03[1].jpg (442 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
320338_03[1].jpg
442 KB, 1000x1000
>>655577
Half of the things in your pic are a literal what.

What you need is a good old woollen blanket. It will keep you warm while you wait (don't expect to sleep) on your chair and if one day you have a fire on your car, it will stop it without causing the damage of a powdered extinguisher.

Also, get some water and find a way to keep it at more than 0°c, and some caned food and plastic one-use forks.

Now, if you find a way to be completely horizontal, you can have a real night of sleep.
My favourite way is with 3 bed quilt like pic related. One is the mattress, one is the pillow and the hat so your head stay warm and the warmest is the quilt.
>>
>>655873
>Thats not manly, thats pathetic
That pretty much sums up "The Art of Manliness".
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.