[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Garmin Fortrex 401
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
Any sc/out/s use this?

Thinking of picking one up and just wanted to get the board's opinion first.

I know next to nothing about GPS btw.
>>
And here I am downloading 7.5" topos to the plotter for free when I could spend money on gearfag that runs on badderies!

So how's that ominous, potential emp working for you?

Does your mtn bike helmet have a gopro on top, too?

Biolite much yet?
>>
>>654544
Why are you this mad?

Like I said, I know almost nothing about GPS units.

I just want something small and durable that I can use for brief hikes/shooting sessions in the woods so I can find my way back to my car. No multi-day outings or extreme hiking.
>>
> paper
> needs no batteries

Sounds like one 7.5' topo would cover your ao. At least until you learn your way to and fri.
>>
I'm guessing you just discovered this via the supposed CAG pictures on facebook
>>
>>654538

It's a glorified bread crumb dropper.

You won't get lost with it but won't help you with landnav on its own. You'll need a paper too in conjunction with it for proper navigation.
>>
I used one in Afghanistan. Bretty good desu.

I use a Suunto now though.
>>
>>654565
I honestly don't trust myself to rely solely on a map.

>>654575
I've seen them before, I have an old Magellan 210, but it's on its last leg and takes longer and longer to find a satellite signal.
>>
I have it, since 3 years now. I use it for hiking, snowshoeing and running.

Pros :
- Look tacticool, if you're into it
- Though construction, watertight
- Good memory
- Precise enough for navigation
- Easy to use for basic functions
- You can change the batteries

Cons :
- Mine take time to lock on sat (2-3 minutes)
- Only 4 buttons so use can be tricky
- Not compatible with garmin connect, have to use garmin Basecamp which is shit and not updated
- The screen is to small to be really heplfull
- only 17-18h with batteries

I'm thinking going to a Garmin Epix. I'm not saying there's a better option, it really depends on what you need from your GPS and what activities you do.
>>
>>654784
>only 17-18h with batteries

Do you mean 17-18 hours of use, or do you mean 17-18 hours from when you put new batteries in?
>>
>>654544
People that get worked up this much over a simple GPS question either are fatasses sitting on the same couch they have been for 20+ years or are the type of asshole that criticizes your gear and shit despite literally just having met you on a trail and talks for twenty minutes about his knife.
>>
>>654917
I am fucking dying, man. Too real.
>>
>>654917
Would you believe a more plausible reason?
>>
>>654538

I have one OP and it's great.

I've used it for geological mapping, soil sampling and general navigation. The convenience of having it on your wrist and freeing up a hand is what sold it to me.

I also have a bunch of rechargeable triple A batteries ready to go so I don't have to continue to buy fresh ones.
>>
>>655127
Sure I would. But you don't have one because you literally just got that worked up over someone asking about a gps...
>>
>>655434
Actually do, are you open to it yet?

You're the one projecting, let me know when you are ready?
>>
>>654538
I own one, mainly to answer questions like "how far did we go so far?"
Performs very nicely. About 48h of use with 2 AAA Eneloops.
You need a computer to program it in advance.
>>
> my map, it has no batteries
> no batteries has my map
> had my map had batteries
> it would not be my map!
>>
>>655611
Don't act all snide. How about you tell me when you're ready to act like a decent person.
>>
It's all well and good to do land nav traditionally: but how are you going to find a place to shit without GPS coords?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.