[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
bear mace maybe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2
File: Mossberg 500 Canada Cabelas.jpg (5 KB, 462x462) Image search: [Google]
Mossberg 500 Canada Cabelas.jpg
5 KB, 462x462
Thinking of hiking uppa mountains to scout for game.
Do you carry a gun while hiking innabush?
>>
>>654080

I do. I'd bring firearms for plinking, hunting, firearm testing (seeing how the gun preforms when dirt and crap gets into it) self defense is at the bottom of the list.

Usually I just bring my mossberg 590, bring couple hand fulls of bird, buck, rifled slugs. Nice being able to have dif loads, gives me more hunting options. Love fresh meat when camping.

If I am feeling the /k/ommando in me. Might bring my AR and chest rig.

If it is just hiking, I usually just have my glock 19 that is my conceal carry piece. In my area we have had hikers and campers mugged before. One guy got stabbed when he wouldn't give his shit.
>>
>>654080
There's really no reason not to bring bear spray, when you're hiking in bear country.
>>
>>654086
>live in BC, Canada
>can't carry around handguns
>16000 Grizzly bears, 160,000 Black bears
>shotgun 2 heavy4me

I guess I'll have to spray and pray.
>>
>>654088

Go work out. Problem solved.
>>
>>654088
>>654096
yea, so you can fist fight the bear.
>>
>>654088
IF you can't carry a shotgun, why are you even going /out/?

No seriously, I wanna know. A shotgun weighs like 6-8 pounds.
>>
>>654119
You're not allowed to carry a shotgun anyway, in BC.
>>
>>654139
Yes you are. Fellow Canadian here and you can carry any non restricted gun in the wilderness 'rifles/shotguns'.
>>
>>654080
looking into getting a revolver for camping in areas with predators
>>
No Stupid.

Guns are useless against animals

expecialy bears. theyre fur is practially invincible.

be much better clapping your hands and blowing a whistle.
>>
>>654139
You can carry a fucking shotgun in England when /out/ m8
>>
>>654139
Yes you can, dont be retarded
Take your CSFC and get your PAL
>>
>>654731
>not getting your NTSC
>>
>>654085
American detected
>>
>>654668
They're bears not fucking armadillos with teeth and four inch claws. You can most certainly kill a Bear with a gun. My uncle used to hunt them. Decent meat by the way. Unless you make a perfect brain or heart shot though, don't expect it to just drop like in the movies. At least with bear spray your throwing off their senses and that may help you escape.
>>
>>654737
And? Do you have some ideological bias against simply preparing for an adverse situation?
>>
>>654086
Except the extra weight. Bears only attack idiots who overreact to seeing a bear or carry open food/Cook in their tent/wipe mustard on their shirt. If you don't smell like food or act like food a bear won't treat you like food.

And no, I never carry a gun.
>>
>>654080

Canadafag here. Yes, ever since I was stalked by a cougar during a hike. I usually carry a 4lb 9mm Sub 2000, but in moose or big bear country it's a 12ga with brenneke slugs. Moose are not something you ever wanna fuck with.
>>
>>655236

Skinwalker detected
>>
>>655237
>stalked by a cougar
That would sketch me the fuck out
>>
>>655239
That was supposed to be a secret, anon.
>>
>>655244

I'm not afraid to admit that it was the single most unnerving experience of my life.
>>
>>655251
How long did it stalk you for (or at least that you knew it was?). What time of day? How big?

I want a greentext!
>>
>>655258

Don't feel like greentexting, but I'll give you the deets. Was near a small Manitoba town called Cowan, east of Duck Mountain Provincial Park. I set out about 1:30pm for a short jaunt on the trails (terrain is pretty thick boreal forest). Just got a light snow, and I didn't expect to be more than 3 hours. About an hourish in I started feeling like I wasn't alone. About fifteen or so minutes later I hear some some movement in the brush about 70 ft off to my left, on the other side of the creek. The trail overlooked a creek which cut through the countryside, leaving a 20 ft drop about 10 ft from the trail. Now, I figured it was just a whitetail doing it's thing. About 20 minutes later I detect more movement, this time a lot closer, and catch a glimpse of brown fur. Now it's way too low to the ground to be a whitetail, and I'm getting a little freaked out. So I stopped, and started to backtrack without taking eyes off the thing. As I move I see the eyes through a clear spot in the branches. Let me tell you, that is a stare I will not soon forget. Pure predatory, felt like it was looking through me. Now my brain is frantically trying to think of something to use as a weapon, and at this point I'm waving my arms and doing my damndest to scream and sound intimidating. After a few minutes that seemed like hours, it decided to nonchalantly fuck off the other way. I think my saving grace is that it seemed like a relatively small, younger specimen that was unsure whether or not it could take me. Nevertheless, I immediately headed back, head on a swivel, and didn't see it again.
>>
>>655236
>I'm supposed to change my life to accommodate an animal so it wont hurt me

For fuck sake. We are at the top of the food chain for a reason. If a bear wants to steal my food I'm killing it.

This is America and it's my lord given right to protect what's mine.
>>
>>655270
Fucking hell, I think my trousers would be overflowing with the amount of poo I would expel in that situation.
>>
File: Ranch_Hand_2.jpg (80 KB, 850x297) Image search: [Google]
Ranch_Hand_2.jpg
80 KB, 850x297
4lbs, 6 rnds of .44mag out of a 12" bbl
>>
>>655369
Why is the lever hand guard thing so big?
>>
>>654080
>Do you carry a gun while hiking innabush?

I carry a gun all the time why would this be any different?
>>
>>655369
Because of thick winter/ranch gloves.
>>
>>654139

Get a load of this guy.
>>
>>654740

The only thing your gun can't protect you from is sarcasm on the internet.
>>
>>655370

I'm no expert but I'm under the impression that it was to accommodate riding gloves.

Now it's just for fashion?
>>
>>655374
>>655389
Fair enough
>>
>>655236
That sounds like something a bear would say. Or something else...
>>
>>654737

Well I'm originally from Russia, now live in the U.S. so yes.
>>
>>655305
Well, if you don't want to give up wiping food on your shirt, I guess you'll just have to deal with the bears then.

>mfw I expected /out/ to be more man-beardy and less neck-beardy.
>>
>>654080
Well, statistically speaking, you have a much higher chance of making it out unharmed if you have bear mace and encounter a bear rather than if you have a firearm
>>
>>654080
I'm in New Hampshire. I guess theres a chance of running into a black bear, but more of a chance of getting mugged. I just have a small .38spl on me when /out/
>>
>>655708
>I'm in New Hampshire. I guess theres a chance of running into a black bear, but more of a chance of getting mugged.

Jesus. I was under the impression your state was less shitty than this.
>>
>>654096
Ever been charged by a bear?

Didn't think so.
>>
>>655237
Vancouverfag here.

I tried to find brenneke slugs but for 5 it was $25 and no one locally had them in stock.

SCORE ammunition makes a slugs that's almost identical and wholesale sports stocks it all the time. $20 for 25 rounds. So I usually load up with one 00 buck and the rest are slugs.
>>
>>655986

Although Brenneke is a brand, I'm referring to the style. You're correct, SCORE makes them as well as Challenger, the latter being very common in my area.
>>
>>654701
i live in england and thats fucking bullshit.

if you are on the property you own fair enough but walking around on the moors or through a national park will get you arrested for disturbing the peace

there are no natural predators left that pose any danger to a uk /out/ist so carrying a firearm is a moot action.

I think if you wanted to carry a gun in the uk get a break down 22 and a suppressor and go somewhere quiet but marching around with a shotgun is full retard
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.