[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you not be scared if you are in a tent all alone at night
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 1428953812249.jpg (292 KB, 1400x1050) Image search: [Google]
1428953812249.jpg
292 KB, 1400x1050
How do you not be scared if you are in a tent all alone at night out there?

I can deal with it if I'm on some sort of camping ground with some other people there even if I don't know them, but just all by myself still spooks the shit out of me and I hardly sleep. So how do you cope?
>>
File: IMAG0931.jpg (753 KB, 1520x2688) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0931.jpg
753 KB, 1520x2688
>>653638
the reality is nothing will get you man
no one is out there waiting for you to go to sleep to fuck with you
that animal you heard outside your tent? it's just rummaging around doing normal animal shit, not out to get you
you just gotta get over it. i'm a hobo, when i started i was creeped out every once in a while, i'd just have to remind myself that I was the scary dude sleeping in the bushes that everyone else was afraid of.
also the best advice anyone can ever give you for living outside or just being chill at your camp, get a dog. nothing will ever surprise you again.
>>
>>653638
It's scary no matter what. That's the point.

Really, by the time the night falls you should be so tuckered out, you don't give enough of a shit. You'll fall asleep in a boiler room with logs being unloaded next room if you're tired enough.
>>
>>653638

Depending on where you live OP. If you got animals that could pose a danger, I.e. bears, cougars, moose, etc. Just practice not leaving food around, prepping your food a lil ways away from main camp, don't be a slob and leave trash around.

While you're up and about, don't be afraid to make some noises to alert animals that you're there. Most attacks is due to them getting startled.

Usually humans are not a problem, just like any thing else there is a what if situation. I've stumbled upon grow site twice in my life, on the 2nd one I had a grower shoot at me (called the cops asap, I let them knew what happen, as well as general location of the grow site.)

If you want, you can bring a fire arm for a piece of mind. Besides just having fun plinking, always nice have some sort of protection. Make sure that is your last line of defense, not just mag dump into any thing that scares you.

Now all the anti gun retards will say how guns are pointless. Those tend to be the no guns country ppl, ppl who are retarded, or ppl who live in a part of the world who has no predators.

I'm from Alaska, if you told any one here to go /out/ with out a gun, you'd prob be called a dumb ass. Even for fishing here...you're some times sharing part of the river with a bear. Though he doesn't care about you, he might come poking around for that fish. Moose are every where too, during mating season the males become ass holes, them charging / attacking ppl is not all that rare.

This is all advice, do what you want with it.
>>
>>653651
I did take a gun with me a couple of times when I was in bear territory. Not that it helps really but having it next to me in my tent made me feel somewhat better.

Now I'm in australia though so no gun, no bears

>>653641
I'd love to get a dog again but currently a bit hard with moving around and work
>>
>>653638

Just don't eat where you sleep. I remember backpacking with friends and hearing a mountain lion take down a coyote that was brought close to our camp cause I spilled tuna juice earlier in the day. Major butt-clencher, couldn't even imagine if I were alone out there.
>>
>>653655
just get really, really drunk every night
then you will pass out and sleep great
>>
>>653638

you get used to it
just plan ahead

plan for several hellish nights of poor sleep which is followed by hellish days of low energy.
dont pretend this wont happen, many people ignore this which only makes it worse when it happens
your first days are going to suck, but you get used to it

i remember being a total jew fag with no outdoor experience such as yourself
the night is scary as fuck, it is something which many people cannot handle

the way i did it was practice
i have some trails nearby that are in the mountains
they are extremely close to civilization but dark and remote enough to be scary as fuck at night
i remember the first time walking these, it was really my first time alone at night. i was extremely terrified..
but you get used to it

having a weapon helps
many people cant afford guns, or dont want to go through the registration hassle of owning a pistol, but some really good affordable alternatives exist.
regular pepperspray will deter any animal
you dont even need the special bear spray
regular human pepperspray is extremely powerful, it is enough to stop a charging grizzly dead in its tracks and more than enough for anything else you could possibly face, even other humans.

get the gel type of pepper spray
those stand good against the wind
>>
I slept in a cheap tent above the tree line on a mountain in an area with high cougar and bear sightings. I was so tired because I made the hike with my 50lb bag with minimal stopping because I was afraid of sunset coming before I could find a flat piece of ground to tent on. I was afraid that I may not have thrown my food paraphernalia far enough away but if you push your physical limits to get to where you're going to sleep then you'll be too tired to worry even if there is a realistic danger.
>>
>>653711

no, this is not true
and it can be the exact opposite of what you described

no matter how hard you push yourself, the feeling of being tired can just as easily turn into terror if you hear an animal scream at night or hear something breathing up against your tent

or even just hear a fucking twig snap from a distance of 20ft away

this can trigger a huge shot of adrenaline no matter how tired you are and totally ruin your fucking shit

it depends on how much of a sensitive type of person you are
many neets and neckbeards who have been coddled by their mothers are extremely prone to these types of terrors which can be a real danger.. anxiety attacks are very real too. especially when you leave the safety net of civilization for the first time.
these are things you may be used to, but you really dont have any understand of how difficult these things can be for other people.

you should probably think better before trying to give advice next time
>>
>>653638
I'm far more fearful of the drunk idiot plunking at the lake from his tent twenty feet away than I'd ever be of the grizzly who's just getting a drink of water on his way back to his den. Wild animals, especially backwoods animals who don't get fed by humans, just want to be left alone. People are the real threat to your safety.
>>
>>653723
I definitely see where you're coming from. I guess my advice should've been more along the lines of "go to sleep in places that less athletic people would have more difficulty accessing." Being exhausted really puts you at worse risk in fight/flight scenarios, and would make you feel a lot more helpless. Too much personal perspective in my post. Thanks for the much-needed kick in the head, pal. I'll try to shitpost less.
>>
I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>653638

I'm afraid the long and short of it is that you're a pussy OP. Try and not dwell on it so much, you're letting your mind get the better of you
>>
>>653638
If you are too scared to fall asleep at night then you didn't do enough shit during the day. Get up as soon as the sun is up and get to work, by the time the sun dies, you should be ready to pass out
>>
>>653641
Do pardon me for sounding rude but how come you have internet if you're a hobo? Are you like a hobo who has a job? I was just curious and you may choose to ignore this question if it offends you, though I would greatly appreciate it if you answered.

Please forgive me if I wasent able to communicate well enough as engish is not my first language.
>>
>>655988
i make pretty good money as a musician, i play on the street and do shows. i pay for a cell phone with internet
don't worry about offending me
>>
>>653638
wear ear plugs
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.