[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /out/, I am really new to weapons and specially hunting,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: MDH_Deer_13030635_860x466.jpg (41 KB, 860x466) Image search: [Google]
MDH_Deer_13030635_860x466.jpg
41 KB, 860x466
Hello /out/, I am really new to weapons and specially hunting, but I'm still really interested, but I find it really hard to find good tutorials on hunting (anything from hares to deer). Most tutorials are on more advanced shit like what type of scent killer to use, whether you should smear yourself in Internet deer shit or not, or what kind of camera to buy. I just want to know the bare basics. Speak to me like I'm retarded. I just got off the truck, what's the first thing I should do?
>>
First step is to read and understand your State's/country's regulations regarding hunting
>>
>>652477
this. truly this.
>>
>>652476
First you need to pick what type of hunting you want to do. There is scrape hunting, stalk hunting, and stand hunting and many other varieties of techniques. Each has their own pro's and cons.
>>
Definitely know your regs and such.

Some things to then work on learning.

-Reading (if you can't yet) topo maps and land features that affect deer movement.
-How to look at aerials for most likely deer spots.
-Where are they eating? What are the food sources?
-Where are they sleeping?
-How do they move from eating to sleeping areas?
-Where are water sources?
-How to play the wind.
-Scent control.
-Where to shoot them.
-What to do after the shot.
-How will you get the deer out of the woods?
-How to process a deer.
-How to dress/layer appropriately for the weather.

There is a lot to learn, but don't let that discourage you. Just understand that, if you plan on actually *hunting*, rather than just lying in wait over a feeder or something, there is a lot involved and there will probably be many cases of "woulda, shoulda, coulda" when you spook deer, miss, and other stuff. Learn to fixate less on whether or not you actually got a deer and just enjoy being out and learning. It makes it a lot less frustrating if you learn to accept and enjoy the learning rather than making all of your sense of "success" dependent on whether or not you successfully harvest a deer. Hunting is a great vehicle for learning general woodsman skills but with a particular focus.
>>
>>656092
Also, don't let people tell you there is only one way to hunt. Many hunters swear by what works for them and interpret that as "how it should be done." Definitely listen to their advice, but don't let them make decisions for you if your interests lie elsewhere.

For example, I have come to enjoy ground hunting even though I am only in my third year of hunting. Yes... it's harder than tree stand hunting and yes, it may mean several seasons before I actually harvest a deer. BUT... I really like the challenge of trying to find a decent ground spot, constructing a deadfall blind, sitting motionless in a ghillie or ASAT suit, and all of that. I would rather hunt in a manner I enjoy, even though it may be harder, than hunt in a way I don't enjoy because someone told me it's easier. I have nothing against stand hunting, but I just don't like the feeling of being stuck up in a tree when the wind shifts. Plus, I hike a good ways in so ground hunting lets me not have to haul a stand around and I can also hunt areas that don't have trees thick enough for a stand.

The point being, there many ways to hunt. Find what you enjoy, even when you don't get a deer, and roll with it. On that note, also reflect on why something may not have worked. Didn't see any deer that day? Did you choose a bad spot? Were you close enough to where others hunt that deer have learned to avoid it? Are the deer moving much (this year has been bad because of a low population coupled with a huge acorn crop meaning they don't have to roam far).

At the end of the day, you got to be out in nature and enjoy some time to yourself. That's a good thing regardless of anything else.
>>
>>652476
The most important thing is to learn to use your firearm proficiently and to handle it safely.

Learn the basics such as knowing the backstop of your target, the trigger discipline, basic practices to keep your barrel free of obstruction, etc.

Practice. Practice handling it, practice shooting it, practice maintaining it.

Safety always comes first, even if you get nothing at the end of the day, at least you didn't accidentally put a round into your foot or let one fly over a hill.
>>
>>656108
Indeed. Getting a deer is optional. Getting home safely is mandatory.
>>
>>652476
>>656108
Tie a condom on your barrel to make sure that nothings gets into it. Or one of them finger gloves/covers that receptionists always use. They'll keep the barrel covered and you can still fire through it.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
Don't fall for the scent blocker gimmicks
If you pay attention to the wind then there is no need to buy that crap.
1 know the rules, laws
2 determine the animal you want to kill
3 choose an appropriate weapon
4 choose an appropriate cartridge
5 find a place to hunt
6 scout the area, learn animals signs, movements
7 learn how to dress the animal and proper meat storage.
8 learn how to cook.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.