[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody ever go walking through forests at night and see spooky
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
Anybody ever go walking through forests at night and see spooky shit?

A while ago I saw a white light moving through the forest. It seemed to be glowing and was moving steadily, not swinging around or moving like a torch. It came towards me then turned and went away and dissapeared.
I've also seen weird red lights in the sky over the forest that were not airplanes since they were moving in slow circles. I dont go out at night anymore though.
>>
>>650819
That would be the moon. You need to /out/ more.
>>
>>650822

It was moving around at tree level.
I'm wondering, might it have been somebody with Nv goggles? Do those things have lights on them?
>>
>>650823
Unless you can IR, no. May have been some other type of headlamp, but my guess is that it was just a subconscious manifestation of your fear of the unknown. The brain is a powerful thing, and can do strange things when stressed.
>>
File: IMGP8958.jpg (222 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
IMGP8958.jpg
222 KB, 1000x662
I go out in the woods at night all the time. Usually with friends, but sometimes alone. I've spent hours sitting alone on a rock or stump in the dark in the middle of a state/national forest while doing field recordings. I get thoroughly spoop'd on the reg. Sometimes multiple times per night. I camp alone a lot too but at least you have a fire an established "spot".

>>650819
Do you live in Central MA? Recently we were walking through the woods in the middle of the night (like 1am), i had my headlamp on, and suddenly we noticed someone else down the path in the woods a ways ahead with a light moving around. We went toward the person a little bit and then we turned away and disappeared.
>>
> stress
> Methanphetamine induced toxic psychosis aggravated by sleep deprivation.

Yeah, I hear yah. It's a hell of a thing.
>>
>>650825

It was definitely there, assuming it was a person with a headlamp they got spooked by my presence since it seemed to stop and be pointing right at me after I noticed it, then moved away quickly. This was in the middle of a swamp where you would have to be crazy to be walk at night, I was on the path.
guess it was somebody up to no good but fuck knows what they were doing and why they ran, perhaps they were hiding guns.

>>650827

I dont, never use a headlamp either as I have good night vision and lamps ruin it.

>I get thoroughly spoop'd on the reg

By what exactly, snapping brances and shit?
>>
>>650834
Maybe it was something like a deer, the light from from fire would reflect back at you if it was looking in your direction.
>>
>>650819

I love the forest at night. Even with all the animals out there (Alaskan Fag) it is still fun. First time I got scared shit less when I was out alone. Was first time I heard a fox scream. Def a wtf situation.
>>
>>650834
>By what exactly, snapping brances and shit?
things walking around in the woods, sometimes big, sometimes small. coyotes i don't worry too much about but we've had a lot of bears and bear problems the last couple years so that worries me sometimes. plus just being alone in the dark gets to your head. it's a very uneasy feeling.

https://clyp.it/pxtxxvzu
>>
>>650838

I was walking around, didnt have a fire. Pretty sure a doe would simply run very noisily away before you even saw it, though I nearly got attacked by a stag a few months ago in daytime. I could hear it barking and thought it was a huge dog but it was a stag with two does, he seemed to think I was trying to take his bitches and I had to shout and wave a branch around before he went away.
>>
>>650844

That is really eerie, once had a pack of wild dogs tracking me and then lowly growling at me in a pitch black forest, they didnt do anything but that sudden growl was terrifying. How do you deal with bears, bring a shotgun with you? You must have serious balls, no bears in this country.
>>
>>650848
I trust the bears not to eat my ass but I have bear spray I bring just in case.
>>
>>650844
I hear coyotes all the time and even I think coyotes are some really spooky sounding fuckers.
>>
>first time camping
>on my own
>set up in a pine forest
>as soon as it gets dark all hell breaks loose
>twigs and branches snapping all around me
>some really big bangs
>constant rustling
>need to put in headphones to drown it out so I can sleep
>absolutely terrified that I'm about to murdered by some gang of freaks
>wake up to nice sunshine next morning and the terror is over

It was probably just foxes who could smell my food, but still
>>
>>650854
yeah they are. especially when they slowly encircle your camp doing their call-and-response thing while you lie awake

https://clyp.it/ea3bffml
>>
>>650858
sasquatch
>>
>>650858
are you saying that your first time you went camping you went alone?
>>
>>650872

Nobody would go with me because they would rather go to a bar and get drunk
>>
>>650873
aw shucks. don't they know you can get drunk in the woods? i do it all the time ^_^
>>
>>650874
have you ever died?
>>
>>650874

Not alone I hope
>>
File: geeps.png (10 KB, 261x195) Image search: [Google]
geeps.png
10 KB, 261x195
>>650875
>>650876
Yes.
>>
>>650874
Not him but yes, of course.
>>
>>650877
pls be careful. i love you
>>
File: ....png (1022 B, 144x192) Image search: [Google]
....png
1022 B, 144x192
>>650877

>all those branches snapping in the night
>it was you all along
>>
File: tumblr_llthrccy3x1qzjgm4.jpg (74 KB, 461x523) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_llthrccy3x1qzjgm4.jpg
74 KB, 461x523
>>650880
i-i will anon and i'm sorry for what i done
>>
>>650845
I've had does with fawns walk up on me in the woods. I'm pretty quiet and calm, so both times, they looked up at me like they didn't know what I was and then just walked past.

>>650848
Same thing happened with a large female black bear one morning. She looked at me, stared for a second, and then went about her business.

Most animals just don't want to risk challenging something that might be able to fight back. If you aren't running away like prey, they figure you can handle yourself. If you're not attacking like a predator, they figure they don't need to defend themselves. Wolves are usually okay as long as they aren't in packs, that's when they get competitive and overconfident. Cougars on the other hand are always cunts, they'll attack bicyclists just for something to chase.
>>
>>650884

With stags you have to stand your ground or they will mess with you just for fun if they think you are scared, especially in the mating season. People have been killed before by antlers through the windpipe.
>>
I live in a tiny house thats pretty innawoods, spot cleared only by hand tools in an area last logged in the twenties type of thing.

I'm pretty good hearing all kinds of rustling and shit going on, but there have been a few ones that have gotten me.

Hearing coyotes kill something that started screaming loudly, like, right there. Fug. Just the eee eee eee combined with the barking, scuffling, and ... Just death.

Barred owls. There's like a gang of em that goes around the valleys here. Usually their patterns are pretty predictable, hilarious and monkeyish even, but occasionally if im just by coals or something one of em will get me.

One night heard rustling, thought nothing of it.
Next day, find the most human looking shit, like, under leaves next to the firepit. Fuckin weird.

That, and the one day i heard a knock on my door at nine am on a day i didnt work till noon. I jad just taken a HUGE bong rip and was completely naked. It was the town tax assessors. That terror was real.

Wasnt breakin any laws though :) well, other than the pot
>>
>>650882

Fuck that.
Sobriety isnt a requirement for being safe.

It just comes with impaired judgement.
Drink on. Safety third, fun and teamwork first and second.
>>
>>650886
I'm sure they have. In most cases though, I bet the people were acting overly aggressive. Bucks seem to be quick to accept challenges, but if you acknowledge them and act like you don't care, they should just leave you alone.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.