[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Water purification
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: NCM_0075.jpg (467 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
NCM_0075.jpg
467 KB, 1080x1920
Hey /out/ I purchased these on an impulse buy without looking into the product as well as its effectiveness. Has anyone used Oasis water purification tablets?
>>
I've never used them. They probably don't work very well on oocysts, but you should be fine. I'd bet that they work as well as anything else you'd buy but were probably a bit more expensive.
>>
>>649663
Well like I said they were an impulse buy and I'm more used to the tablets from Aqua Miria, and I know those work. From the packaging I'm assuming these were made in the UK, and I'm hoping someone from the UK has some feedback on these.
>>
File: Chart1.jpg (299 KB, 720x600) Image search: [Google]
Chart1.jpg
299 KB, 720x600
>>649707
It's going to work the same as any other tablet using NaDCC. I don't know what kind of feedback you're expecting.
>>
>>649715
Well, if you look on the packaging of the pic I posted the main chemical is Troclosene Sodium, I never heard of this so I'm not sure about how it works compared to the traditional iodine or Chlorine Dioxide.
>>
>>649721
>Troclosene Sodium
is NaDCC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_dichloroisocyanurate

"Sodium dichloroisocyanurate (INN: sodium troclosene, troclosenum natricum or NaDCC or SDIC)"
>>
>>649650
Well, I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Bleach. Plain unscented chlorine bleach. They put it in all tap water in all first-world countries. Its light, cheap and you're not introducing something new to your system that you may be allergic to (which you don't want to find out when you're a six hour hike back to the trailhead). Tablets are a meme for people who like throwing money away.
>>
>>649758
That's not true. Plenty of countries don't chlorinate their water. Europe likes to use ozone and even in the US most facilities are switching to chloramine or chlorine dioxide. No treatment facility would just dose drinking water with chlorine without controlling the pH first, something I doubt you'd be doing before dumping some bleach into your water.

There is no reason to use bleach for your drinking water except in emergency. But by all means, I'm sure the extra couple of dollars are just to pricey for you.
>>
>>649758
I really don't have the room for liquid bleach in my bag, that's why I got the tablets. To be really sure the water is safe I boil my water, but if I don't have time I throw a tablet in my canteen and hit the trail and in about a good hour its ready.
>>
>>649768
Chlorine dioxide is the shit. Aquamira drops are my preferred treatment method. Light, inexpensive, and don't have to worry about them freezing like with solid element filters.
>>
Also I don't like tablets because in my experience, they inevitably get crushed and become a powdery mess when opening the wrapping.
>>
>>649825
I passed on the drops because of the good chance of the bottles breaking/leaking and I'm screwed out in the field with no water purification outside of boiling.
>>
>>649715
Have you physically tried and compared each product and its effectiveness against each stimulus?

Or are you just posting some image you found on google image search and reading wikipedia?
>>
>>650083
I'm not a microbiologist if that is what you're asking, although my bachelors did include learning about municipal water treatment. People have been using these chemicals to treat water all over the world for a while though and this info isn't very controversial.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.