[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PINS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
Taking my fist trip to padre island national seashore to camp and fish.

Any suggestions from those that have been?

Pic unrelated
>>
Used to work there.

Do you have 4 wheel drive? The best spots are down island past at least the 20 mile marker. The channel at the 60 is really pretty too.
>>
>>649615
2000 jeep Cherokee 4x4 with goodyear mt/r tires and a 7 inch lift
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3250x2436) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3250x2436
>>649615
Also:
Don't drive in the surf or on seaweed mats. You could get stuck and the tide changes rapidly, before someone could get there to tow you out (which costs thousands of dollars) your car could get flooded by sea water and ruined. The salt water will also completely eat your undercarriage.

Don't drive in the dunes or on the salt flats. It takes centuries for them to go back to normal and kills the organisms that call those places home.

If you've got a dog, keep an eye on him. We have coyotes that are genetically distinct from your average coyote. They're bigger and meaner. Keep your food locked up too.

Besides that, the stars are amazing and the seashore can be magnificent or ugly as hell. You might also find some neat sea trash. If you're feeling nice, you can get bags from the visitor center and help clean up all the beach garbage that washes on shore.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3250x2440) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3250x2440
>>649618
You've got this then.

Oh and drive the speed limit. The LE's have radar detectors set up along the beach and do get reports from the other staff. They can write you a ticket based on what the other employees say, so don't drive like an asshole.

Keep an eye out for plastic wrapped packages on the beach. Narcos have been known to either drop stuff off or push it overboard in case they get caught by the coast guard and it all ends up on the beach. Don't touch it, a few years ago they found a guy hiding out in the sand with a gun protecting a stash.

You might also run into illegals that coyotes have stranded on the island. They're probably dying of thirst, so help them out if you can.

There are a couple of places on top of the dunes where you can get a cell signal if you need to contact the LE's or if you get stuck. The channel also gets cell service at the very edge of the park.
>>
>>649625
Thanks for the tips.

I try to never destroy the landscape as much as possible.

My dog stays within 15' of me even when off leash and sleeps in the tent with me and the wife.

Food will be in the jeep when not eating and never near the tent.

I'll have my sidearm with me for protection from threats if the yotes get to brave.

All ways do my best to leave the spot cleaner than when I got there.

Any good spots to use a cast neat for bait or drop a crab trap?
>>
>>649628
Good to know.

Packing in 12 gallons of water so I can spare some if needed.
>>
>>649629
Pretty much anywhere down island is good. If you come to our little seaside cabin, around that area is usually pretty nice. Lots of beach and a good place to set up shop.
>>
>>649632
Restocking cabin or personal?
>>
>>649635
It's the only permanent structure on the beach for miles. They use it during the summer as a base for sea turtle nest collection and incubation.

Its what my job was when I worked there.
>>
>>649639
Ahhh ... sounds neat and a cool bit of info.
>>
Can't wait for some redfish gumbo.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.