[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
External frame rucksacks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
Any other /out/ists have a hard on for external frame rucksacks? I think these have always had a strong foothold in northern Europe, both as military gear and civvie hiking packs.
>>
I've got a Kelty Trekker. Haven't used it, so not much to report.
That's not for any other reason than I simply haven't been /out/ with it yet.
>>
No, I'd rather have a comfy internal frame backpack.
>>
>>649318
You've never tried a comfy external frame?
They aren't all 60 year old pieces of steel pipes with some cotton strapped to them for carrying.
>>
File: Savotta LJK Modular rucksack.jpg (224 KB, 1903x481) Image search: [Google]
Savotta LJK Modular rucksack.jpg
224 KB, 1903x481
i too have a hard on for external frame packs.
>>
File: isthisshityourjob.jpg (52 KB, 500x305) Image search: [Google]
isthisshityourjob.jpg
52 KB, 500x305
>>649353
>non compressible bottom compartment
>pockets and MOLLE on the inside
Other than that it looks pretty decent.
>>
>>649353
Fuck that's sexy.

>>649361
There is literally nothing wrong with anything you just mentioned.
>>
>>649353
what sort of hight range (as in hight of the wearer) would this pack be suited for?
>>
File: 29882b.jpg (172 KB, 882x787) Image search: [Google]
29882b.jpg
172 KB, 882x787
>>649384
>Development of the LJK Modular rucksack began in 2009 and soon after that it was offered to the Finnish Defence Forces and Border Guard as a part of a big deal to update the existing ruckasacks.

thus i would assume its made for standard male conscript height. of ~ 180cm as it is the countries average.
>>
>>649370
>There is literally nothing wrong with anything you just mentioned
Nothing wrong with not being able to compress that huge bottom part that makes up half of the pack?

Well, it's just as OK as not being able to compress your huge rucksack at all: you can live without it but life is a damn lot better with the option to do so. It's after all a feature that really doesn't cost a penny, would only need to route those two straps all the way over the bottom. Apparently they are stitched on to the flap, which is quite retarded.
>>
>>649353
I bet that beast weighs 8lbs empty.
Who would take something like that on a long distance backpacking trip?
>>
>>649410
In certain uses toughness and carry comfort under extremely heavy loads are much more important than the weight of the pack itself. Military gear tends to be built this way, especially external frame packs.

I guess someone who likes the ergonomics, carry capacity and extreme durability would choose something like this. It's good for what it's made for.
>>
>>649410
No one actually uses these packs for backpacking. They are used primarily for making threads to show how cool OP is
>>
>>649415
>It's good for what it's made for.
For military grunts to hump way to much gear uncomfortably.
Any "civie" that buys one for a hiking pack is doing strickly for aesthetics.

Nothing wrong with wanting to cosplay as a soldier while /out/ if thats your thing.
>>
>>649420
>Any "civie" that buys one for a hiking pack is doing strickly for aesthetics.
Depends on how you /out/. For carrying really heavy and bulky loads over long distances and over a long time an external frame pack is (in my opinion, based on actual experience) superior.

Internal frame packs tend to start fucking themselves up when loaded with heavy crap, aluminium bars bending and the whole sack flopping and sagging around uncontrollably. And that really gets gay after a few days.
>>
Internal frame
Pros
>lighter weight
>less bulky, compresdible, fewer snags
>keeps weight closer to natural center of gravity
Cons
>more expensive
>not as easy to repair
>lower weight capacity

External frame
Pros
>better weight capacity
>cheaper, easier to repair
>can be adapted to different loads/uses
Cons
>large/bulky. More snags when bushwhacking
>heavier base weight
>carries weight farther away from natural center of gravity.
>>
>>649460
Decent pros/cons but:
Both internal and external frame packs can be just as compressible, so you can´t really say that´s a pro for internal frames. Also I´ve never noticed external frame packs being more prone to snagging than internal frame packs of the same size, squeezing trough thickets is just as frustrating with both.
>>
FWIW a brand new Kelty Trekker 65 only weighs 3 more ounces than a medium Osprey Aether 60.
>>
>>649473
Other than Kelty, who makes external frame rucks nowadays? Karrimor used to, back in the day, as did many others.
>>
>>649432

So they are superior if you are doing something that literally no one outside the military does?

>For carrying really heavy and bulky loads over long distances and over a long time an external frame pack is (in my opinion) superior.
>>
>>649488
A-Lite makes a 35 liter exie, but it's kinda retro-hipster. Jansport still makes one but it's youth sized.

Other than that I know Stansport, ALPS Mountaineering, Field & Stram, High Sierra and Outdoor Products still make exies.
>>
>>649500
Hunters are also quite fond of external frame packs.
>>
>>649488
I think they are still made by Goodwill and the Salvation army. You can buy as many as you want for $5 each
>>
>>649500
>you are doing something that literally no one outside the military does
Umm, don´t know about your outings but I find myself needing and appreciating the load carrying capabilities of external frame packs very, very often. Partly because of what >>649503 said.
>>
>>649522
I also know a couple photographers who hike with exies because of gear weight.

And a guy who stocks back country lakes for the Forest Service.
>>
File: MLA15951371.jpg (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
MLA15951371.jpg
20 KB, 500x500
Outdoor Products external frames are the official backpacks of homeless teenagers across America.
>>
>>649361
>non compressible bottom compartment
What are those two straps? If that's not enough, there's attachment points all over the shop. Put on some bungee cord and bob's your uncle.

>pockets and MOLLE on the inside
Fast and easy access etc. which is good to have during stress or when it's dark.

>>649384
>>649390
>Adjustable to fit everybody, short or tall, wide or skinny!
>>
>>649570
>What are those two straps?
Sew onto the flap all the way from the bottom up to the buckles = zero compression. That's just poor design, there really is no excuse for that.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.