[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /out/, I'm sorry that this is going to be a very newbie
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: camping-outdoors.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
camping-outdoors.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1600
Hello /out/, I'm sorry that this is going to be a very newbie question that you are probably tired of answering over and over, but I'm not sure where else to go to ask. I have never actually been /out/ (except at sea) before, and would like to try doing something as I will have a chunk of free time in the coming weeks.
However having never been out I really don't know where to start, I tried the sticky, but the links under camping were fairly vague and seemed to mostly apply to the UK for instance they said wild camping was illegal, but I don't think it is entirely illegal here, or at least I am hoping it isn't. so I thought I'd ask you anons my questions based on my situation(again sorry if they are stupid.)

Anyway, my questions are as follows
1. As someone of limited means, and as someone who is not an /out/doorsman, what would you say is the least amount of/cheapest total cost of gear I could buy and be fine with for a short (2-7 day) stay in the woods? Do I really need a tent or would a hammock/sleeping bag and/or a tarp be just as good? What do I need to splurge on and what can I save on? Bare essentials, that sort of stuff.

2. I am a USA fag, specifically CA, I heard someone here talk about how the laws change a lot based on who's authority the land falls under and can be very different even if it is all public land? Do you have any simple guides or resources that explain what these differences are? I tried a few googles but only found some information on some of the types of land.

I would also appreciate any other advice or warnings you could give. Like for instance if the idea of going out "wild camping" would likely end up with me dead because I don't know enough of what I'm doing. Or non obvious stuff like that I need to bring a water filter, or need a permit to have a camp fire.
>>
Buy at REI and return, or buy cheapo at big 5 and keep until it breaks.

Yes, one does simply walk innawoods. Near which city do yiu live? If we're talking Norcal, I always recommend point reyes for first timers. It isn't free though.
>>
>>649084
>Buy at REI and reture or buy cheapo
Sorry but buy what specifically? A good sleeping bag and a roll or the whole shebang, tent and everything associated with it?

>Which city do you live near
Near Palo alto.

>Point reyes
I will check it out, thanks anon.
>>
$5 to $40 for a tent at Walmart or yard sale
$20 sleeping bag at Walmart, or bring blankets
Sawyer mini filter $20 unless you are camping near your car
Whatever backpack you already have

For less than $100 you have everything you need to go sit in the woods.

A proper setup to hike 7 days on the Appalachian trail or PCT can be had for about $1000 with topnotch equipment and would probably weigh the same as the $100 setup but have 5 times as much stuff of very high quality and utility
>>
>>649119
Ah I see, thank you for the cost breakdown.
>>
>>649071
http://www.amazon.com/Everest-Hiking-Pack-Red-Size/dp/B0019GAOO6/ref=sr_1_11?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1450597134&sr=1-11&keywords=backpack&refinements=p_36%3A1253556011
cheap high capacity pack (no frame)
http://www.amazon.com/Therm---Rest-RidgeRest-Mattress-Charcoal/dp/B00HANOY9I/ref=sr_1_12?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1450597265&sr=1-12&keywords=sleeping+pad
Cheap and comfortable sleeping pad.
http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Solitaire-Tent-sleeps-1/dp/B000EQCVNY/ref=sr_1_9?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1450597368&sr=1-9&keywords=backpacking+tent
cheap warm 1 person tent
http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Stove-Ignition/dp/B00ENDROMW/ref=sr_1_13?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1450597558&sr=1-13&keywords=backpacking+stove
cheap stove and the gas only costs $5

total cost about $125 and these are things that you might want to bring on an extended trip.
>>
>>649864
Wow this looks pretty good. Thanks for putting it together, I appreciate the effort.
>>
File: 20151219_090135.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151219_090135.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
To answer a question OP, yes you can just use a hammock and tarp for sleeping.

This is what I slept in 2 nights ago. It's about as budget of a setup as you can get that will actually work.

The tarp I use is a UST Base tube tarp 1.0. It can be zipped on the ends a d turned into a simple tent if need be, which is nice in case you need to use it as such. As I use it, it's a large tarp for about $30.

For my hammock, I have a Yukon Double. Any double parachute hammock will work. I'm a fan of Wildhorn Outfitters hammock on Amazon. For $50 you get straps to hang with and a nice 11ft hammock. I personally use ENO atlas straps as suspension. They're about $25 on Amazon and work really well.

In a hammock you do need insulation under you. A simple foam sleeping pad for walmart works. They're about $10. You can get a thermarest like the one another anon posted before. I personally use an underquilt, which is a step up from a pad, and considered the best hammock under insulation. I use a Snugpak underblanket. It's $52 on Amazon and the best underquilt for the price, nothing else is even close to that price and it's actually nice, will be good to about freezing temps, and can be used with a pad to go lower.

For my top insulation I use an unzipped mummy bag laid on top of me. Any decent bag will do. I have a Gander Mtn brand one, called the men's chilkat 20. They go on sale for $50 often, and are actually really nice bags.

Hopefully some of this helps of you decide to go the hammock route. I love sleeping in my hammock.
>>
>>649946

>budget

You are over $200 and hammocks are shit at keeping warm and dry.

For that price you can get a high quality backpacking tent, sleeping bag and a $100 sleeping pad
>>
>>650001
You don't math good, do you?

Going the cheapest route I listed, you're at $140

You can get a cheaper sleeping bag and cheaper hammock, and cheaper straps. I have a spare set of yukon straps, and yukon rainfly. Got them off woot.com, total cost for hammock, rainfly, and straps? $50, add a $10 pad and cheaper sleeping bag, and you're at just under $100.

Even if you add the underblanket with my original suggestions, which you don't need, you're at $192...

At what point is this over $200?

And do you really describe a $100 tent as a "high quality backpacking tent"?

Know what you're talking about before you post, or at minimum learn how to do simple math.
>>
>>649946
Thanks for the informative post anon.

I would ask though, is it usual to have the hammock so low to the ground? Just wondering because on the occasion that animal life might come wandering around at night as a layman I would think one might want to be higher up.
>>
>>650041
I always hang the hammock so that when I sit in it, my feet touch the ground. Makes it easier to put your boots on.

Wildlife won't bother you any more than when you're in a tent. During the summer I use a bugnet anyways, so no bugs bother me either.
>>
>>650042
I see, thanks again. I guess it's probably just the worry of someone who doesn't go out, but I'd hate to be in an open hammock and scare a skunk that's walking by or anything much larger for that matter.
>>
>>650043
Just about any small animal will smell you and not want to be around you. A skunk may wander in if you've got food out and scavenge something, but they don't want much to do with people. If a skunk comes around your tent you're just as screwed, if he sprays your tent, you'll smell for weeks and have to throw away the tent. I'd say a skunk is less likely to come around you in a hammock since he could smell you easier, and see you rustling around.

Same thing with a bear or whatever. They don't want much to do with people, they leave you alone, and a tent won't protect against a bear any better than a hammock. If a bear wants you, and comes at you in a tent, you're basically just sitting in a little trap, and he's got his meal already in a bag literally. At least in a hammock you could roll out and fight back.

Regardless, I'm not worried about bear by me, there's only black bear which I've been with 15 feet of, and as soon as they've seen me they bolt. There's coyotes around but they're harmless. No mountain lions where I am, except a sighting every few years by some redneck who prob just saw a funny looking dog and called it a puma.

Don't worry about animals while /out/. You're several thousands of times more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the trail, yet you still hop in and drive without worry.

I love seeing wildlife while /out/. It's cool to see squirrels running around, an opossum at night, a porcupine bumbling around, a few deer passing through. Even to see a bear is a great experience, and pretty rare.

I don't solo camp overnight, so obviously it's a little scarier if you're alone at night, but I've been outside hunting, hiking, whatever solo and I've never worried.
>>
Since it doesn't make sense to start another new to camping thread.

Haven't been camping in many years and I want to try starting off with overnight trips extending it to 3 days and possibly up to a week of camping....during the WINTER.

Since my brother got rid of his military stuff I have:

Gortex Parka and Pants
USMC FIBLE
MSS
Lined Winter Boots
Camelback

Still need:

a good winter tent
extra thermal stuff for inside the tent? (don't really know how much I need here)
Other...stuff?

youtube has helped a bit but I still want some input from /out/siders.
>>
>>650135
Nope, looks like you have everything. Are you camping on the airport or prison?
>>
Sawyer mini filter
Compass
Multitool
Knife
Rope
Hatchet
Fire starter or flint/steel (not lighter, they run out)
Light, second light, spare batteries (headlamp is a good idea, flashlight is fine too, maybe one of each, ideally water proof)
Spare socks
Clif bars
A way to carry water (you have your filter but drinking from a stream is inconvenient because you may not always be right next to it)
Spare clothes especially socks
Warm clothes even if it's mid summer, never know what might happen with whether, and if you are low on energy you'll get chilled very easily and maybe die
Sleeping bag
Tent
Map

tell people where you're going and for how long
>>
>>650001
>>Confirmed has never been /out/ before

>>Confirmed never finished high school
>>
>>650161

Going to try for areas in Western NJ/Eastern PA. I don't know any good spots either.

>>650173

>Sawyer mini filter
and here I thought Lifestraw would be the top filter around here
>Compass
I have a lensatic compass
>Multitool
Leatherman/Gerber? Other?
>Knife
Okay this is something I don't know about...Why shouldn't I get a cheap knife over a more expensive one?
>Rope
I have loads of 550 cord...I should be good with that right?
>Hatchet
another thing I just know nothing about
>Fire starter or flint/steel (not lighter, they run out)
I did pick up a fire starter kit on sale.
>Light, second light, spare batteries (headlamp is a good idea, flashlight is fine too, maybe one of each, ideally water proof)
I have a maglite flashlight that has worked for quite a while.
>Spare socks
Is there nothing synthetic that is anywhere near as good as merino wool?
>Clif bars
Sure
>A way to carry water (you have your filter but drinking from a stream is inconvenient because you may not always be right next to it)

>Spare clothes especially socks
Yep
>Warm clothes even if it's mid summer, never know what might happen with whether, and if you are low on energy you'll get chilled very easily and maybe die
Well I'm shooting for winter so layers are ultra important.
>Sleeping bag
MSS
>Tent
I need a good winter one.
>Map
So I looked up maps from the official government sources and they are over 10 years old. Anyway to get newer maps?
>>
>>650320
The lifestraw is popular, I have the lifestraw go bottle. It's a lifestraw integrated into a water bottle. The sawyer is popular because it's cheaper, and a little more versatile. People round here like it because it filters 10k gallons as opposed to 1k liters before I needed replacing.... at least as advertised. I've seen independent testing that shows the sawyer begins to fail and allow bacteria to pass long before 10k gallons. The lifestraw just stops working when it's used up, so no worries there. In reality, you'd prob never approach 1k liters on either one with normal use a few times a year.

Multitool? Some people carry them. I dont. I use one for work all the time and love it, but never carry one while out. Never had a need for one while backpacking.

Knife? In my opinion, get a Mora. That's a Morakniv companion. About $14 on ebay. Sure they're not perfect, but you don't use a knife that much for regular camping. If you wanna bushcraft and build your own mud hut or whatever other bullshit bushcrafers do, then get a better knife. About all I use mine for is cutting open my dinner.

550 cord is okay, but a little heavy and stretchy for my taste.

Hatchet? I don't carry one. I like a folding saw better. If I'm not backpacking I use an axe. If I'm hiking a way, I bring the saw.

Merino wool is about as good as it gets.

I live in Northeast PA, lots of places to go /out/. You can camp in any state forest or state wild area in PA.
>>
>>649071
Outdoorsmanship isn't so much about having the best, newest, or most expensive gear as it is about having knowledge. You could own an REI but not know how to build a fire and you'd be fucked, but if you have enough knowledge, you can go out with nothing and be fine for years.

Start by picking up an army field guide. There's free copies available. Read it front to back at least thrice. Practice. You'll end end replacing all your gear anyway over the years, but knowledge is free, infinitely useful and infinitely light.
>>
>>650320
Sawyers don't have carbon. So they're lighter, smaller, easier to clean, and don't require replacing carbon. They also work in-line or gravity fed.

Compass and multi tool are useless weight for me. I carry neither. Knifed are job-specific. Carry a fish knife if you're fishing, a hunting knife if you're hunting, an axe if you're storing firewood for the following year. Hatchets are a major waste of weight, break wood by swinging it against a tree. I carry jute and about 20 feet of 550. BIC makes the best tired feel ever and it comes with a butane excellerant. Carry a second BIC in a water-tight container. An LED glow stick is WAY more useful than a flashlight. You can see fine to find a tree to piss on, but finding your tent in the dark is a lot easier when it glows. Merino is best, synthetic is still fine. You can never have enough socks. One CLIF bars is a snack, two CLIF bars is constipation.

Always pack as light as possible. Once you're warm, dry, hydrated and fed, nothing else you can carry will make you as comfortable as not having to carry it.
>>
File: cart.png (179 KB, 1114x1137) Image search: [Google]
cart.png
179 KB, 1114x1137
So if anyone is still reading the thread, how is this? I already have a back pack, some lights, lighters, clothes, bottles and a few OK sleeping bags that I can use, so those are omited. Getting both the recommended tent, and the sleeping bag assuming I can try both before hand and return the one I don't end up using.

Is there anything obvious, or important I'm missing?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.