[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Joint pain while hiking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: 20151212_131317.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20151212_131317.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
So I've been getting into hiking recently and would like to get further into it, however I experience knee joint pain whilst desending (specifically right knee). Do any of you know how to help alleviate this? Hiking shoes? Excercises? Or is it something that just gets better with experience?
>>
Go see a doctor or physical therapist. There's no way we could possibly know what's causing pain in your specific situation.
>>
>>648219
I used to have this issue a lot but it kinda went away on its own a few years back. I don't recall doing anything specific about it, so I just suggest toughing it out.

Other anons might have a better idea though, don't take my word for it. Cheers.
>>
>>648219
>>648224

Just re-read your post. Recently - there's the culprit. Give it time and don't stop hiking, like I said tough it out and you'll adjust as time goes. Your joints just aren't used to the stress.
>>
>>648225
Well it first started a few years ago during a spartan race, part of it may be in my head tho because I still havnt done this sort of activity on the regular. I guess I'll try to tough it out and if it becomes a problem I'll see a doctor
>>
>>648224
>I just suggest toughing it out.

Shit advice.

Go to a doctor
>>
>>648219
Knee pain whilst descending is common, hiking poles help with this.
>>
>>648235
This.

Oldfag here, I spent years just "toughing things out" and I managed to destroy a lot of connective tissue in my knees, hips and lower back.

Don't ignore pain, go see a doctor, take care of your body because you don't get another one.
>>
>>648219
As tempting as it is to say tough it out, other Anons are right, the best thing to do is see a doctor. Of course tons of people suffer from knee pain while descending and most simply ignore it.

If you do decide to keep hiking, get them trekking poles and take your descents slowly until you strengthen your knees enough not to hurt, it might take months or years though.
>>
>>648278
>until you strengthen your knees enough not to hurt,
barefoot training helps a lot with this, not only does it strengthen the legs, more importantly it trains you a more healthy way of walking.
>>
Go to a doctor. Could be something serious, or something as simple as needing potassium.
>>
>>648219
I've got a ten mile limit on my hips. The limit goes down a couple miles in soft stuff (snow, sand). For me, the right boots help, but really, all I've found that really gets me back on the trail is a break for about an hour. Also, the amount of joint pain I have is directly correlated to my weight. If you're a big guy, maybe try being a smaller guy.
>>
>>648219
I've had this. Its pretty common in hikers.
It'll be weakness in your hip abductors and gluteal muscles.
Google these for exercises to do to strengthen them.
>>
>>648219

Descending is a bitch on the knees, expecially if you're overweight and/or tall and/or not physically fit.
If your pain is localized under the rotula, in the front part of the knee it might be due to a weak quadricep muscle, during the descent the muscle isn't strong enough to hold the leg and you'll put more strain on the knee and the patellar tendon suffers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patellar_tendinitis).
Visit a doctor, if you have an inflammatory process going on stop hiking, no weight training, exercise only in a swimming pool (you can do proper leg training without having to deal with gravity), do not under any circumstances force the pain since you might end up damaging permanently your tendons, or even rupturing them and you'll be fucked.
Also use trekking poles with the proper techniques, expecially if you're carrying a backpack.

Source: I've had patellar tendinitis, achilles tendinitis, various shit.

Take care, hiking is not an activity which should be taken lightly.
>>
Everyone is retarded except >>648222
>>
>>648219
I've had a bad knee for 25 years. Do what >>648222 said. It doesn't get better, but a good walking stick or pair of sticks can help with descents and ascents both. So can a $15 neoprene knee brace. Keeps things warm and snuggly.
>>
Get some trekking poles. You will be amazed the difference they make.
Make sure they are flip locks, cork handled, and come with mud baskets.
Long distance hiking is the way I /out/. Never go on a multi day trip without them.
>>
>>648672
Also don't forget to take your vitamin I.

Look in a long distance hikers first aid kit. The two most abundant items will be ibuprofen and moleskin.
>>
>>648674
NEVER take painkillers when you are doing sports. Pain is your body´s way to keep yourself from injuring yourself.

Light pain is the early warning sign. Don´t ignore this. You can go on, but you are already close to your current limits.

Strong pain is the emergency override. If it hurts too much, just stop. Don´t take painkillers and go on.
>>
>>648225
That is horrible advice. Never "tough it out" with this sort of thing that will make a minor injury a major one.
Go see a doctor

In the future, look at getting hiking poles that backpackers use. Also I think they have knee wraps/braces that I've seen backpackers wearing
>>
>>649022
Ibuprofen is just an anti-inflammatory. Its just going to help reduce inflamation in anons joints. Its not like taking a handful of oxys.
I hiked a 200 mile stretch of the shelowtee trace trail and started most mornings with 400mg of ibuprofen.
>>
File: boom.jpg (674 KB, 2153x1205) Image search: [Google]
boom.jpg
674 KB, 2153x1205
acupuncture.
,, what have you goto lose?, Comon,, its justa few tiny, thin needles!, cheap.
, or, go doctor ,,and have your knees replaced!
>>
File: pow.jpg (387 KB, 1577x901) Image search: [Google]
pow.jpg
387 KB, 1577x901
you want magic,,, butyou dont belive in it,, or pay for it.,
,, may getrip to the moon,, bring a friend to holdyour hand,,,moon is scary in realife.
>>
>>649193
>>649199
Your misuse of punctuation causes me pain.
Polite sage for lack of content.
>>
File: 1421875076396.jpg (59 KB, 580x401) Image search: [Google]
1421875076396.jpg
59 KB, 580x401
>>648219
>Do any of you know how to help alleviate this? Hiking shoes? Excercises? Or is it something that just gets better with experience?
All of those could potentially help as could an elastic knee brace. But >>648222 is has a point, if it persists or gets worse you should get it looked at so you're not doing anything that damages it. My rule of thumb is I can work through muscle pain but I should listen to joint pain.

>>649202
Do you know who you're talking to, newfriend?
>>
>>648222
This.

The cause could be anything from the way you sit at work/school/PC/sleep/drive. Could be an old injury, cancer, overweight problem, dietary deficiency, etc.

>>648259
Seconding.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.