[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
thought this'd be an interesting read for this board. N
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: kristoffer-glestad.jpg (122 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
kristoffer-glestad.jpg
122 KB, 620x413
thought this'd be an interesting read for this board. Norwegian goes to Canada and lives in remote wilderness for 6 months.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/norwegian-adventurer-alone-in-remote-nwt-1.3365743
>>
Building the cabin would be fun. But after that, just alone with your thoughts, nothing new ever coming, it would be painfully boring.
>>
>>647621

People forget this when they romanticize the wilderness. Once the sun goes down and its 6pm alone in a tent, I think about the people I love and things I would be doing if I was home.
>>
>>647642
>tfw the sun set 2.45pm today
>>
>>647642
Once the sun goes down, my body remind me of all the efforts of the days and since there is objectively nothing to do, I just fall asleep.
>>
>>647642
>things I would be doing if I was home

Shitposting on /out/?
>>
>>647621
agreed. I think a key thing would be having projects for yourself to do during the evening. Even then I think with little else to do besides cut wood or collect food, that you'd be running through projects pretty fast.
>>
>>647507

So did he set up a tripod and take that picture of himself staring into the sunrise?
>>
>>647507
>http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/norwegian-adventurer-alone-in-remote-nwt-1.3365743

Faggot couldn't even hack the winter.
>>
>>651085
that seems like an odd conclusion, what I get from that article is that he couldn't hack the loneliness. It doesn't say that the winter was the problem.
>>
>>647507
"We're not made to be by ourselves."

A thing to remember for all outists.
>>
"Man lives alone in the wilderness, feels lonely and goes home" should be the headline. I don't understand how people get these ideas in their heads. There is no great revelation to be had or anything to be discovered other than hey this is fun or hey this is not fun. I also think he just wasn't suited for it. It takes someone who really knows them self to be alone like that. He botched it when his other friends ditched out so I'm sure he went in with a lonely / abandoned attitude.
>>
>>651096

Why would it say that? It was a puff piece. Read between the lines. He wanted out 3 weeks before December 10.
>>
He actually would have been worse off with other people stuck in that cabin, they would have killed each other
>>
>>651107
you're kind of jumping to conclusions based on mere speculation here
and like you say, a fluff piece, it's not the best source to start judging someone that you never met

It's just a little funny that /out/ idolize people like Dick Proenneke all the time and when other people have the balls to attempt something similar he's called a faggot and so on, looks like jealousy to me.
>>
I've seen a couple of films where they break down and stuff. They seem to be typical extraverts that enthusiastically set out on their filmed solo survival without even knowing that they are just that, hopeless extraverts that basically shrivel up and die when alone.
>>
>>651085
dude he's fucking Norwegian so I doubt handling a cold winter is a big deal for him. And winters up there are fucking brutal. When I worked up in the NWT one time there was a bad snow storm with high wind. I think with windchill it ended up at -50C/-58F or colder. I walked about 60m from one building to another in a hoodie and almost blacked out. But I think the isolation is the hardest thing.
>>
>>651121
because dick lived there for 30 years and didn't pussy out?
>>
>>651101
>"We're not made to be by ourselves."
that's bullshit
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.