[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
7 Summits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 7summits-lede.jpg (143 KB, 1280x688) Image search: [Google]
7summits-lede.jpg
143 KB, 1280x688
Well I've decided to do it. The only problem is I have zero climbing experience. I'm 24 and in very good shape and my job will allow me to fit expeditions in every 3 months or so. Will /out/ give me some advice so I can get an idea of what to expect? I'm headed to Colorado soon to start tackling 14ers.
>>
How much money do you have? Because your ego wont get you up alone.

You are overdue for a humbling experience.
>>
>>647368
I'm making around 130,000.
>no house
>no bills
>tfw no gf
So it's all expendable income. It seems noone has done it in 10 years. Can any climbers say why? I know no one has summited Everest since the recent disaster, but the last person to complete the 7 was in 06.
>>
When i was young my dad went on an expedition to Aconcagua and had to turn back before reaching the summit at a place where they could have done it within the day. That decision probably ended up saving one of his teammate's lives. If you try to go for it be careful and smart, its not hat important to reach the summit.
>>
>>647371
>saving one of his teammate's lives
Altitude? I thought Aconcagua was relatively safe?
>>
Climbing Everest is pretty much how much money you throw at a Sherpa and not dying of altitude sickness. Also, when you get to the top, don't forget to snapchat, instagram, and facebook all your friends because the mountain has 3G service now.
>>
>>647379
lol yeah everest is for fags hahah. no one even dies on it any more, they just pay sherpas to literally carry them to the top on a stretcher. fuckin gay as fuck, anyone could do that.
>>
>>647379
>the mountain has 3G service now
http://www.businessinsider.com/4g-coverage-on-mount-everest-2013-7

>>647379
>>647381
I don't know man. I think it's a lot easier to say,"it's weak shit" than to actually climb the fucker. It's still Everest.
>>
>>647382
Oh they're up to 4G now? Wow.

>>647381
I'm making a joke, calm down.
>>
>>647361
>i have decided to climb the highest mountains of each of the seven continents without any prior climbing experience.

some people...
>>
>>647401
If you aren't aware, the majority of 7-summitters these days don't climb anything else, and stop climbing as soon as they finish.
>>
>>647384
>I'm making a joke, calm down.
dammit so was I.
>>
>>647361
man, you're like one of those people who goes to the gym but doesn't want to ''get too big''. this shit doesn't happen on accident.

''very good'' is probably not going to cut it. even less when you have no practical experience whatsoever yet.
>>
>>647370
It's because real climbers often don't focus on the seven summits.

They're too busy climbing the 10 highest peaks in the world. Not the highest on each continent.

They're also not that hard. Even everest, while challenging, is not technical at all. The second seven summits are MUCH more of a challenge.
>>
>>647370
Damn what is your career? I'm your age and I still get minimum
>>
>>647361
> so check me

What fucking continent is "Oceania"?

Do you "dive" to the peak?
They left out Austrailia for "Oceania"?
>>
denali is a fucking epic

be mentally prepared to get shut down from weather. its tough, but walking away always better than getting caught out there.

theres a common issue these days where people will rely on guides to haul them up peaks. dont let this be you. learn as much as you can and try and absorb as much information as you can from guides.

and embrace the suffer.
>>
>>647893

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania

It's just one way of defining a region

For example: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro-Eurasia

Which could be considered a super content if you don't count Europe, Asia and Africa as separate units.
>>
Enjoy your suffering I guess.
>>
>>647401
>some people...
Try to do large things with their lives. Crazy, I know.

>>647884
>>647480
I'm fresh out of the military and a private contractor now. I'm in good shape.

>>647896
Is it worth going to train ups they offer?
>>
>>648285
Thank you for the link, vrry interestink!
>>
>>647361

>that cuck of a mountain Vinson

Why even do that? That shit is walkable.
>>
>>648616
> it's all about the approach
> does not realize

Go back to playing with your Star Wars dolls kid.
>>
>>648635

Develop your hypothesis
>>
I have never been into mountaineering. Im more into long distance backpacking and kayaing. What is the appeal. Seems like its pretty fucking miserable. The highest mountain I have "summited" is mt Rodgers (5,728 ft) in my home state of VA.
Someone red pill me on mountaineering.
>>
>>648651

Just white fuccbois trying to uncuck themselves.
>>
>>648616
> walking to Antarctica

See you if a few years, if you don't get hung in Peru.
>>
>>648665

>implying you can't swim from Cape Horn to Antarctica and hike it

Plebe
>>
>>648651
You're tired. Hungry. Scared. Unpredictable consequences. It really sucks.

With all that said you're kind of forced to do it because it makes the best days of your life and the fondest memories so you deal with it.
>>
>>647893
>What fucking continent is "Oceania"?

These fucking americans, i swear...
>>
>>647361
>Will /out/ give me some advice so I can get an idea of what to expect?

I doubt anyone in /out/ has ever attempted this. Not many people in the world attempt it, even mountaineers. If you have the money and discipline, I salute you.

Just learn to deal with extreme cold at every moment apart from when you're wrapped up in a good sleeping bag.
>>
>>648330
>I'm in good shape
for the general population maybe but you're not a mountaineer
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.