[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't usually come to this board, but I need my stupid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
I don't usually come to this board, but I need my stupid question answered.
Aunt was giving away shit and I saw this knife. Is it okay to use for outdoors? The blade doesn't seem too sharp.

t. knows nothing about knives
>>
As long as it's sharp and comfortable to hold, it should be fine. You don't have to worry about rust that much, since it's stainless, but don't let it stay wet. Make sure to always keep the blade clean and sharp.
>>
knife/10
>>
>>647083
Just sharpen it and don't push the blade too hard, it's not a hatchet
>>
>>647083
Baton with it to test its strength
>>
>>647083
I have the Hitler Youth version. It's actually not a bad knife and holds an edge well. I use it for a food prep camp knife.
>>
>>647083
>>647125
After the second world war a bunch of Hitler Youth knife parts were shipped out of Europe all over the world and then re-branded with different little logo plates.

I'm sure that's a reproduction because it's in such good condition, the pommel is really shiny chrome, and if i'm not mistaken it says "stainless" up there above the guard.

Overall I think the design is pretty utilitarian and functional. A modern version would either be the Ontario Blackbird or the SOG North West Ranger
>>
>>647458
>stainless
>not rostfrie
>>
>>647083
i've had one similar like this one,only with full plastic handle and with 'saw' and bottle opener on the back. it said 'FES ROSTFREI' on the tang,and the blade was only 5-6cm inside the handle
>>
File: mfw4.gif (985 KB, 500x252) Image search: [Google]
mfw4.gif
985 KB, 500x252
>>647460
>rostfrie
>>
>>647125
lol it really is. just googled it. rebranded hilter youth knife confirmed.
>>
>>647460
>rostfrie
>not roastie free
>>
>>647516
>not toastie fire
>>
>>647460
what is with the letter switcheroo on german words?
>>
>>647509
Yeah, friend of mine got mine for me from the bud whatever catalog as a joke. Popped the swastika off the handle, but it still has "something something juden" etched on the blade I think.
>>
>>648405
>Popped the swastika off the handle
fag
>>
>>648427
Seriously. Let's destroy historic artifacts because we find them offensive. Need to make this world a safe place without any triggers. Maybe we can burn some books while were at it.
>>
Yep, it's a knife
>>
>>647083
Are you finnish, because "t. Knows nothing about knives"
>>
>>649880
And what the fuck do you mean by that? Finns have some of the best knives.
>>
>>649922
I mean that "t" it stands for terveisin=regards
>>
>>649842
It's from bud k, it isn't an artifact ya fuckin dunce
>>
>>649922
OP is almost certainly a Finn. The Finnish word "terveisin" is usually abbreviated "t." or "terv."

>>647083
It's hard to imagine an aunt having a Hitler Youth repro knife. Anyway, that knife should be ok for /out/ and if anyone asks why are you carrying a nazi knife just act like you don't know what he/she is talking about and show the scout logo/emblem in the handle. It's easier if you're a nazi, just give 'em the nazi salute and they will run away.

For /out/ a scandi grinded knife is the best. If you're a Finn, there should't be a problem finding one (puukko). Scandi grind is better for whittling and rather easy to sharpen. If you don't know which one to choose, choose the Mora.
>>
File: knifevs.jpg (738 KB, 1589x1079) Image search: [Google]
knifevs.jpg
738 KB, 1589x1079
Ah, i have a similar question.
When my grandfather died i found these in his house, in belgium. It was said he also had some guns from the war, but he destroyed them. They're probably ww2 era. The one on the right is a bayonet. They're not sharp at all, it's almost 1mm broad at the edge. The dirt you see is some kind of oil/fat, I presume to counter rust.

So how do I keep them clean? What should I do with them?
>>
>>649992
You should ask >>>/k/
>>
>>649992
I don't know what those are, but if they're from WW2 era, they are valuable. Take some good photos of them (from every angle) in case you want to sell them and store them in a dry place.

Don't even try to clean them or remove the rust there is. Using any abrasive will destroy the value. And don't sharpen them for god's sake.

Buy some grease (vaseline) and cover all the steel so that it doesnt rust any more. If you want to sell them, then sell, but unless you need the money right now, it would be more wise to keep them. The value will only increase as the time goes by.

Whatevery you do, don't fuck them up and sell them on a flea market. I personally would pay you some serious bucks for those even though I don't know what they are.
>>
>>650003
i googled around once for puma klingen and saw a similar on sale for around 500 bucks, but it was in mint condition.
>>
>>650010
puma solingen that is
>>
>>650010
Collectors pay crazy prices for stuff they want. There can't possibly be many knives like yours on sale and the less there are, the higher the prize. IMO you knives are in pretty good condition and definitely worth something.

Remember that online shop prices are not real prices. If you were trying to buy some specific rare piece, what would you do? -You would fill the Internet with ads selling that (non-existing) piece for cheap.

Just a thought, but if those knives belonged to your grandfather, why not keep them to yourself? He kept them, why wouldn't you? Out for respect?
>>
>>650023
yeah i have no plans of selling them, but i don't know anything to do with them either
i guess i can just keep them around in some cabinet until the end of times
>>
>>650003

Don't use Vaseline, it's whipped to give it the consistency they want, it has the air inclusions can trap moisture against the surface

Renaissance wax is pricy but it's the best thing to use to protect metal wood etc without harming it long-term
>>
>>647460
>>647508
rostfri is just scandi for stainless.
>>
>>647083
that chroming will peel off sooner or later. they are often sold in Europe as HY knives, usually will a crappy 'Blut und Ehre' decal on the blade. the construction varies from knife to knife, some are noticeably loose and will wobble in places.
>>
File: 1447976634742.jpg (59 KB, 513x510) Image search: [Google]
1447976634742.jpg
59 KB, 513x510
>>647532
>>
>>649842
eat a dick. It was a repro knife and I personally have no issue with "triggers" other than the word itself being mine, but I also prefer not to walk around with a swastika attached to my pack.
>>
>>647083
If that's a real Hitler Youth knife and not a reproduction I will slap you for even considering using that. But that's definitely not an original, so no worries.

Would be fine for a camp knife, good for food prep or cutting cordage. If you put a decent edge on it you could probably dress a few deer or make wood feathers, just don't expect good edge retention. Shouldn't rust to easy either, won't get a patina.

Poorman's Classy Knife/10
>>
>>647083
Assuming it's real, go ahead and use it. Hitler Youth was basically the Nazi Boy Scouts.
A better question is, who would make a repro Boy Scout version? All the ones I've ever seen are the Nazi version, with the 'Blut und Ehre' inscription to make it look extra fancy.
>>
>>650180
>knife has boy scout type logo on it
>"if that's a real hitler youth knife"

Jesus.
>>
>>650447
>knife has boy scout type logo on it
>"if that's a real hitler youth knife"

Jesus.
>>
>>647083
>>650447
>>650459
Todays german Boyscouts use this knife. Its the same as the one the hy used, but without the etching and with a differen logo ofc.
See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur-de-lis_in_Scouting
https://www.google.com/search?q=german+scout+knife
>>
>>650516
http://www.amazon.de/Linder-Fahrt-und-Pfadfindermesser-193214/dp/B002NRC8IU
>>
>>650517
OP's knife:
http://www.amazon.de/Unbekannt-Fahrtenmesser-Mit-Metallscheide/dp/B004OEZCPG/ref=pd_sim_200_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31XVNmUeD-L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=07MHQCMRRNTEWGBBNV29
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.