[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey pals, So I'm think of doing a cycle tour through Chile/argentina
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: primus.jpg (24 KB, 355x335) Image search: [Google]
primus.jpg
24 KB, 355x335
Hey pals,

So I'm think of doing a cycle tour through Chile/argentina in Jan/feb and wondering what king of cookign system to bring, i have a jetboil but not entirely sure how readily available pic related is in these countries. Can anyone shed some light? Am i better off taking a multi-fuel burning system regardless anyway?

Anyone visited that part of the world with any general experiences/suggestions/concerns?
>>
have you considered buying a stove there?
if you do the cans will be available too
>>
>>647034
well im starting in patagonia so im pretty sure therell be loads of outdoor shit available everywhere, but when it gets into the less touristy areas thats what im worried about
>>
For weight concerns, and travel to your start... I would buy whatever they have there. If you aren't worried about weight, get something like am MSR Wisperlite or Dragonfly, whatever the international model is that allows for many types of light and heavy fuels. You just change the jet. And your choice of a 10/20/30oz fuel canister. With those you can run alcohol, diesel, gas, kerosene, and white gas. So you wouldn't worry about what type of fuel you have access to
>>
>>647076

Yeah i know about the different options i have available in terms of stove, i just already have a jetboil (this only uses screw personal cannisters like pic) but i guess ill get a primus omnifuel just to be safe, if they have these great if not, ive always got something.
>>
>>647081
Yeah, its all about what weight to want to carry, and your comfort. Are there any resources for others who have done this? Maybe you could see if there are any forums and people supplied any equipment lists
>>
>>647033
Chilean here, in which cities will you stay or pass through?
>>
>>647081
I would just pack the refill adapter and refill with propane as needed or able.

Last I knew, wood still burns south of the equator. JIC.
>>
>>647187

Not entirely sure on route yet, but the first town ill go through once i cross the argentine border i think will be valle chacabuco, from there im heading north to Santiago. Which part do you live?

>>647194
I dont want to burn my jetboil on a wood fire, i wouldnt be taking other pots and pans if i took this.
>>
>>647363
> no other pot
Then you are choosing exclusive dependancy and are stupid.
>>
>>647425

Cleary you're a mug but ill explain anyway. If I'm cycle touring I wanna reduce as much weight (and space) as possible, jetboils are great becase everything fits inside itself and they're very quick and easy. If the fuel is readily available (as it is where I'm from in the UK and Europe) its the first choice. Chile is a fairly developed country so its not inconceivable that it would be similar there. However it looks like there could be gaps so I will be taking a multifuel system.
>>
>>647485
Jetboil is great for boiling water and ramen. Are you planning on using it for anything else? You may not be able to carry those gas cannisters on airlines, but if you can then just bring two big ones with you.
>>
>>647534
And honestly good quality food for something like cycling isn't going to come from a jetboil.

Jetboils are meant to boil water. Ramen, foil bagged meals (Mountain House and the like), and warm drinks.

OP is going to be burning serious calories. Now I imagine they have money because they are in Europe and will be taking some serious vacation time if they are cycling. Probably touring, eating out alot as well. On the move. Fresh food wouldn't be a problem.

But junk like noodles, bagged meals, and instant rice that a jetboil excels at cooking, isn't the type of food a cyclist would ideally take.
>>
>>647534
Yeah you cant carry compressed gas onto planes, and 2 gas cannisters won't go far enough, it's a good 3000+ miles.

>>647544
Yeah I'm not rich but the tax year in the UK is april-march so by not working the last 3 months I'm getting about £1.8k in tax rebate. Plus my mum died this year and had life insurance so I can dip a bit into that.

Tbh I plan on just getting rice and lentils, stuff that dries small, when I go through more populated places I can add more fresh ingredients to my diet. I am most worried about getting caught out of water in the deserty parts of Argentina, but I'm just gunna bring a couple of jerry cans and stock up when I can.

Has anyone got any experiences of southern Argentina/chile, places to see/avoid. Will I be beaten by argie police/army for being English?
>>
>>647363
I'm from a city 100km south of Santiago.
In Santiago it''l be very easy to find of course.
If you find any decent supermarket in the way, you'll find them, Also in hardware stores you may see them.

It may depend in how much north you will go, further away you are from Santiago, the more distance you'll be between cities. Multi-fuel may be useful, but propane-butane canisters are quite common and easy to find.

Bear in mind that it'll be summer and so it's gonna be hot as hell in the north. Check your routes so you always have water supply. Good thing is that there will be a lot of fruits and quite cheap.

Anything else, I'm happy to answer, sorry for the bad english.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.