[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kayak Camping & Fishing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 44472181.jpg (97 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
44472181.jpg
97 KB, 1024x768
I am about to go on a kayak camping and fishing trip and am a bit nervous because I have never done it before.
I have everything ready but have had to strip down mostly to the bare essentials in order to save space.

Just wondering if others have experience doing such trips and could share any tips they might have that save me having to learn them the hard way?
>>
>>645783
Bump for interest.
>>
Tie all your gear down to the kayak. No one ever believes they will capsize until they watch all their gear sinking or floating away.
>>
>>645866
What are the main causes of capsizing in the calmest of waters?
>>
>>645783
Get ready for blisters and torn skin between your thumbs and index fingers the paddle will chew through any soft skin on your hands. I'd recommend something to cover up those areas once they get blistered but don't puss out and use gloves. Do you know how to flip a kayak?
>>
I like this guys videos, maybe you will find something interesting for you.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Wintertrekker
>>
>>645868
What else is there but gloves?
>>
>>645867
Stupidity
>>
A dry sack is necessary through my experience. I also used a waterproof duffel that proved to be useful as well.
>>
>>645932
My plan was to use a bunch of heavy plastic bags and rubber bands to waterproof everything. Not perfect but its not intended to keep things waterproof for more then a few seconds.
>>
>>645932
Also all electronics are in zip lock bags
>>
>>645866
This. Me and buddies went to the french river, one buddy dumped and lost a bunch of shit

Just pack light and bring lots of big garbage bags, they work well enough to waterproof your shit
>>
1. Pack light
2. Tie everything down
3. Put everything you dont want wet in a dry bag or a plastic garbage bag. Keep in mind that if water is constantly splashing on a dry bag the contents inside will get wet unless you have a top quality bag made of the plastic or whatever the fuck they use for the heavy duty ones
4. Dont bring anyone who you think may be a downer, because in the end they will be one
5. Keep distance between u and your mates while paddling. When people tip its usually when trying to avoid a collision with another kayak
>>
What are some good places to kayak a long ways and fish/camp/hunt?
>>
>>645932
>>645937

its like a pack of butts and some weed thats fine but if you are talking camera equipment/gps/phone and all that jazz dont skimp on a good roll top dry bag.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.