[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anybody use a kukri instead of a machete or hatchet? What do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: s-l300.jpg (14 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
s-l300.jpg
14 KB, 300x200
Anybody use a kukri instead of a machete or hatchet? What do you like about it and dislike?
>>
>>645651

They're ok

I like them aesthetically and the history behind them.

I strongly dislike the balance.

Throughout my knife experience I can't help but think of kukris as a cultural thing more than anything. They're no better or worse than any other big knife, again it's just a cultural thing.

I personally prefer my Busse B11, or any big , straight chopper if I want a big knife.

I just cannot stand that terribad (most likely I'm just not used to) balance and find it less useful for everything than a straight blade.
>>
Unpopular opinion but I prefer a sharp kukri over a hatchet any day. But either get an expensive one or invest in some good gloves. I have a SOG kukri. Sweet jesus the blisters
>>
>>645651
No, I stick to the park trails and don't butcher up the woods.
>>
I just ordered a knife from Kukri house and finally got the "we shipped" email after about a 6 weeks. I got more of a knife than a Kukri but I just wanted to check them out and it was the cheapest thing they had.
>>
>>645808
got two off them, the salyani and the spf.
>>
File: 1427368706.jpg (123 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1427368706.jpg
123 KB, 600x450
>>645835
I got this one and I have some micarte and am going to try and make a handle for it, I've never done it before.
>>
File: DSCF0458.jpg (635 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0458.jpg
635 KB, 1600x1200
>>645837
>>
>>645837
sweet, nice little knife.
>>
>>645651
I got a 20 dollar cold steel kukri that I love. It's really more of a machete shaped like a kukri, but it's great and not much of a financial investment. I've chopped through huge logs with it.

>>645677
get some tape for the handle
>>
File: condor-heavykukri.jpg (1 MB, 2983x1995) Image search: [Google]
condor-heavykukri.jpg
1 MB, 2983x1995
Condor has a nice one. The winner from the show Alone used one too.
>>
>>645663
This dude gets it.
White boys carrying inefective sand nigger's knives to feel like they're hard. lol
>>
File: HI_WWII.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
HI_WWII.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>645663

I have to disagree on the balance. A properly made, authentic (as in - made by an actual Nepalese kami with 20+ years of practical experience) has great balance.

It's kind of hard to explain "on paper", but it works. I have two kukris - a cheap, indian mark 3 (full tang, with a tapered tang) and a proper, HI with a stick tang, and the balance on them is night and day.

On my HI, the balance feels as close to perfect, as anything ever, and you can grab the blade by the "hump" and use it that way, and the handle won't try to pull it out of your hand.

Pic related.
>>
>>645794
bet you drink red cordial instead of liquor at parties too you butt fucking queer
>>
>>646120

Sand nigger? You do know where kukri originate from....yes? Cause you're either retarded or stupid.
>>
>>645651
Instead of a machete, no
I do alternate between a kukri and a hatchet though, just depends what I feel like taking.
>>
>>646770
Well besides "Sandnigger" not being a well defined term, calling a nepalese an arab is no more nonsensical than calling an arab a black african, so he's well within normal bounds of ethnopaulistic ignorance.
>>
>>646770

He should have used "gook" but sandnigger is not so far off as you think.

Clearly he knew nepalese where gooks but he didnt associate kukri with Asia, and because kukri users are mostly tanned or light brown skin, and although they are asian, he went for sandnigger.

6/10 it made it for me, I understood it.
>>
File: wut.gif (1 MB, 292x323) Image search: [Google]
wut.gif
1 MB, 292x323
>>646832
>>646888
>>
>>645870
I got the cold steel kukri too. Figured for $20 I could just play with it and use it as a beater. Works better than expected.
>>
>>648461
Same here. Beat the hell out of that thing, sharpen it with a file, rinse, repeat. Great for clearing cactus.
>>
>>646888
>>646832
Jesus Christ, a Gook is an east Asian that's not Chinese or Japanese. Korean/Vietnamese/Laotion/Cambodian. Sandnigger is north/northwest Arabian sea. The term you're looking for is currynigger.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.