[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /out/, I think it's time to get a new battle buddy,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: Rottweiler-Head.jpg (53 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Rottweiler-Head.jpg
53 KB, 800x533
Hey /out/, I think it's time to get a new battle buddy, had a German shepherd, lost him a few years ago, think it's time now to get a new one.
I'm thinking Rottweiler. They are supposed to be good with kids , good /out/ , good to protect the home and don't have a high a drive as German shepherds , what does /out/ think ?
>>
>>645247

Meme doge is best doggo
>>
>>645247
>Hip problems, fatty tumors, trouble from certain areas that declared Rottweilers dangerous dogs

Just get a mutt from the pound, after its checked by a vet to make sure it isn't sick it will be a very healthy dog without any of the issuesyou get from pure bred dogs
>>
>>645247
they are good dogs, just watch out for the control-freak nature
>>
I had a rott growing up.
I really miss that dog.
>>
>>645264
a lucky mixed breed will live up to 20 years easily. we had one that lived 22 and we had to put her down because she got senile pissed everywhere had arthritis and diabetes but kept on living stubbornly. it was bad to watch. but till 20 she had no major problems.
smaller ones live longer generally and larger ones live shorter as a general rule. but they tend to live longer than purebreds. a rotie will live 10 years or so.
>>
Get a Cattle Dog.
>>
>>645280
That looks half dead
>>
>>645280
rottweilers are cattle dogs man...
well they are multipurpose they have both strong guarding and herding instincts.
>>
>>645280

heelers are best dog no exceptions.
>>
>>645264
Yeah but most dog breeds have all these problems, or a higher probability of getting them , where I am the pounds have all grown dogs , and I was always told growing up that you can only trust a dog when you know how it's been raised
>>645280
Don't have that breed here
>>645284
That's what I was thinking , haven't made the decision lightly , have researched different breeds and think rotty is the way to go , just looking for other sc/out/s opinions
>>
>>645285
They are medium sized so they don't eat a lot and leave gigantic shits in your yard and they can run/hike all day long without breaking a sweat.
>>
>>645292
Absolutely false about only trusting a dog you raised.

You can tell a dogs demeanor pretty quick. If you work with a dog, you can trust ir, and it will trust you. It's not hard at all.

Even the adult dogs at your shelter may only be a year old. Shelters also get puppies all the time.

Many shelter dogs were raised by familes, some with young kids. Sometimes a kid develops allergies and the do has to go, sometimes an elderly person gets sick and has to give up their dog, sometimes people get a puppy and just dump it off when the puppy grows up. Not all shelter dogs are damaged goods.

I have a shelter dog. I paid $50 adoption fee for him. He came with AKC paperwork with his family lineage, and the original purchase receipt of $2200 as a puppy. He was house trained, knew basic commands, walked perfect on a leash, came with a custom leash and harness, was calm, well adjusted, and incredibly sweet right from the start.

He was 2 years old at the time. Completely out of the horrible destructive hyper puppy stage. His owner was elderly, and had 8 dogs. She gave him up with another purebred dog because she just couldn't keep 8 dogs with her declining health.

Hes literally a nearly perfect dog.

My mother adopted a mutt years ago. She's some kind of Pitt mix, with who knows what. She was 2 years old. I trust that dog completely, and she was abused severely before ever being given up for adoption. She even has a scar that's 30 inches long and 3 inches wide running the length of her back, that someone used a blow torch to brand her. She's now one of the sweetest most loyal dogs I've ever seen.

Not to discourage getting a rottweiler, we had one growing up. She was an absolute doll, and a great dog... guess what, we also adopted her when someone abandoned her, she was full grown. I trusted her completely. She also died of cancer at age 8. My friends rotty just died of cancer at age 7. They can have serious joint problems too.
>>
I'm thinking about getting a dog. Does anyone have any suggestions about breed/mix?
>>
>>645334
The way I did it was look at my lifestyle , and drew up a list of dogs that suit it , then research those breeds and decide based on their traits , but I do know loads of people that got a good mutt from the pound
>>
>>645334
Siamese
>>
>>646141
Never underestimate a pound dog. Once adopted, they form insanely strong binds with their adopters.

Ask anyone that has rescued dogs, it's almost like they know how important you were to their life.

A "mutt" is often just a mixed breed with the best of each breed they're made of. They may have the strength of a working dog, the ability of a hunting dog, but the demeanor of a companion dog. Sometimes purebred dogs can be incredibly high strung if they're bred for a purpose (herding, hunting, ect) and not stimulated many hours a day with that purpose.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.