[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did the pioneers take with them when they went /out/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
These people literally just went out into the great unknown and decided yep this is where we're going to live.
What kind of tools do you need to set up a home and live on it?
>>
>>645196
>great unknown

Between contact with the natives, military exploration and the previoulsy existing Spanish colonies it was actually pretty known by the time of mass Western migration.
>>
File: Oregon_trail_ii_opening.jpg (78 KB, 640x440) Image search: [Google]
Oregon_trail_ii_opening.jpg
78 KB, 640x440
>>645196
>>
File: Entering-SL-Valley.jpg (2 MB, 2848x2176) Image search: [Google]
Entering-SL-Valley.jpg
2 MB, 2848x2176
>>645196
The Mormons published a list of supplies each family would need before they started their trek west. I would imagine it was similar to / based on the equipment used by pioneers on the Oregon Trail and such.

* 1 good strong wagon well covered with a light box.

>2 or 3 good yoke of oxen between the ages of 4 and 10 years.
>2 or more milch cows.
>1 or more good beefs.
>3 sheep if they can be obtained.
>1,000 lbs. of flour or other bread or breadstuffs in good sacks.
>1 good musket or rifle to each male over the age of 12 years.
>1 lb. powder
>4 lbs. lead
>100 lbs. sugar
>1 lb. cayenne pepper
>1 lb. black pepper
>1/2 lb. mustard
>10 lbs. rice
>1 lb cinnamon
>1/2 lb. cloves
>1 dozen nutmegs
>25 lbs. salt
>5 lbs. saleratus (bicarbonate for raising bread)
>10 lbs. dried apples
>1 bushel beans
>A few pounds dried beef or bacon
>5 lbs. dried peaches
>20 lbs. dried pumpkin
>25 lbs. seed grain
>20 lbs. soap
>15 lbs. of iron and steel
>A few pounds of wrought nails
>One or more sets of saw or grist mill irons to company of 100 families
>1 good seine and hook for each company
>2 sets of pulley blocks and ropes to each company for crossing rivers
>25 to 100 lbs. of farming and mechanical tools
>Cooking utensils to consist of bake kettle, frying pan
>Tin cups, plates, knives, forks, spoons and pans (as few as will do)
>A good tent and furniture to each two families
>Clothing and bedding to each family, not to exceed 500 lbs
>10 extra teams of each company of 100 families

>In addition to the above list, horse and mule teams can be used as well as oxen. Many items of comfort and convenience will suggest themselves to a wise and provident people and can be laid in the season; but none should start without filling the original bill.

tl;dr guns, food, cattle, clothes, and tools for farming / logging and repairing your other equipment
>>
From
http://www.oregontrailcenter.org/HistoricalTrails/Supplies.htm

>COOKING UTENSILS: Dutch oven, kettle, skillet, reflector oven, coffee grinder, teapot, butcher knife, ladle, tin tableware, water keg, matches.

>CLOTHING: wool sack coats, rubber coats, cotton dresses, wool pantaloons, buckskin pants, duck trousers, cotton shirts, flannel shirts, cotton socks, brogans, boots, felt hat, palm-leaf sun hat, green goggles, sunbonnet.

>FOOD: flour (600 lbs.), bacon ( 400 lbs.), coffee (60 lbs.), baking soda, corn meal, hardtack, dried beans, dried fruit, dried beef, molasses, vinegar, pepper, eggs, salt, sugar (100 lbs.), rice, tea (4 lbs.), lard (200 lbs.)

>BEDDING & TENT SUPPLIES: blankets, ground cloths, pillows, tent, poles, stakes, ropes.

>TOOLS & EQUIPMENT: set of augers, gimlet, ax, hammer, hoe, plow, shovel, spade, whetstone, oxbows, axles, kingbolts, ox shoes, spokes, wagon tongue, heavy ropes, chains.

>LUXURIES: canned goods, plant cuttings, school books, musical instruments, dolls and toys, family albums, jewelry, china, silverware, fine linens, iron stoves, furniture.

>WEAPONRY: rifle, pistol, knife, hatchet, gunpowder, lead, bullet mold, powder horn, bullet pouch, holster.

>HANDY ARTICLES: surgical instruments, liniments, bandages, campstool, chamber pot, washbowl, lanterns, candle molds, tallow, spyglasses, scissors, needles, pins, thread.
>>
File: 1352336326524.jpg (86 KB, 562x385) Image search: [Google]
1352336326524.jpg
86 KB, 562x385
>>645214
>>
>>645228
>1 dozen nutmegs
I'm picturing a family leaving with 11 nutmegs and the entire group dying.
>>
>>645347
Nah man, you only need two or three for spice.

The rest are for tripping your fucking mormon balls off.
>>
>>645347
lol
>>645228
That 25-100lb range for tools seems silly as fuck.
What kind of tools? 50lbs of hammers? Sure why not, stupid Mormon fucks.
I can't believe it's actually a religion (cult really)
>>
>>645359
>What kind of tools?

I'm going to guess woodworking tools since they did have to build a house when they go where they were going.

I would guess I have easily over 25lbs of hand tools, I would need at least that many again to replace my power tools.
>>
File: chilkoot-list-1898.jpg (168 KB, 676x1857) Image search: [Google]
chilkoot-list-1898.jpg
168 KB, 676x1857
this is a list for miners coming into the Yukon to prospect around 1900. famously prospectors were required to bring a ton of goods if they wanted to be permitted entry.

this is for you Americans... more or less sums up my feelings on the United States of America. Supposedly the man never fired his weapon while patrolling the northwest territories. Interestingly even today when the RCMP took in Justin Bourque despite his killing 3 officers and wounding 2 he was taken alive. That would never happen in the U.S. I feel a major difference between the countries is an emphasis on responsibility in Canada where in the US they emphasize personal rights. It shows even in settlement times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ub9tLW5Ino
>>
Guns, horses, whiskey and whores!

All any man needs!
>>
cast iron stoves and grandfather clocks
>>
>>645228
Roughly 800kg of stuff on the wagon, mostly food. It seems a little excessive almost, but calculating the needs of a working family for about a year (till the first harvest) it's quite reasonable.

>>645359
This list is quite obviously not the entire information they would act on. The farmers would grow different crops (or just do ranching) in different ways depending on climate, soil, personal skill etc., some settlers would do crafts for others like smithing, woodworking etc. thus they would take the tools they need for their job. It's more of a guideline for how space and weight on the wagon you can spare.
>>
>>645374
Boo hoo.
>>
>A large family or immigrant community
>>
>>645382
>2 pair German socks
Oddly specific.
>>
>>645594
Well, Germans are oddly specific.
>>
>>645594
>German Sock
The act which a man fills up a condom with diarrhea and the ties a knot at the end. Then he will use his dick to shove it up a woman's vagina

dem kinky pioneers
>>
>>645605
>some 12 year old took the time to create this and put it on urban dictionary
>>
>>645594
Probably referring to knee high socks.
>>
>>645196

Knives and axes.

Many carried just the axe heads and carved the handles on the spot.
>>
>>645679
Bullshit, they would have had to use them to cut shrubs and trees as well as building small bridges
>>
>>645683
Bro this is coming from a time where people burned down wooden structures like houses so they could re use all the nails. If you have had to save space/weight on your pack animal you would probably only bring the head.
>>
>>645679
[Citation needed]
>>
>>645766
do your own academic research. I know it happened for sure. If you want to argue over the frequency of it sure, that's open for debate. But it definitely happened.
>>
>>645687
Citation please expert
>>
>>645841
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=burn+down+cabin+for+nails
>>
>>645678
That would make sense for the klondike, I suppose. Thanks.
>>
>>645687
Nail reusing isn't really related here, but you might have a point. I imagine a group of trappers or lumberjacks needing axes to build huts or make timber at their destination, but only needing one for the whole group to make fire on the way.
>>
>>646137
You imagine a lumberjack discarding his axe because he doesn't need it for a week? Seriously are you borderline retarded?
>>
>>645543
And mercury for your dick hole for all those pesky stds.

I kind of want to live like this for a week to see what it was like.
It's amazing the hardships that people went through.
>>
>>646177
this is a slow ass board there is no fucking reason to be this bad at reading other people's post especially when its TWO SENTENCES LONG.
>>
>All this arguing about axe handles
I just want to learn more about pioneerfags
>>
>>646546
Welcome to /out/.
>>
>>646229
I read it again. Yes you are retarded for thinking people discard their most valuable tools.

>I SHOT MY ELK, I GUESS I DON'T NEED THIS RIFLE ANYMORE BETTER THROW IT IN A LAKE TO SAVE ON WEIGHT
>>
>>645382
what was the difference between laundry soap and toilet soap?
>>
>>645209
This, beside that a good portion of pioneers died during travel so the thread is kind of moot.
>>
>>646955
[citation needed]
>>
File: new france.jpg (1 MB, 1530x1090) Image search: [Google]
new france.jpg
1 MB, 1530x1090
>>645209
Pic related.

By the time the American colons wandered into the west, there were paths and maps of it. They could just stop at a trapper lodge and ask were are the water sources.
>>
File: oregon.png (57 KB, 469x502) Image search: [Google]
oregon.png
57 KB, 469x502
>>645679
Almost.
>>
>>646975
Up to a point, of course. Western Canada was largely charted by the British later than that, and what became the Western United States, by the Louis and Clark expedition and others, in large part inspired by roughly contemporary British efforts.

But yeah, the major influx of immigration was built on infrastructure and exploration conducted well before it occurred.
>>
>>646835
That was not even me replying there, but dude, are you trolling or are you really this stupid. The poster I replied talked about taking only the head of an axe instead of the whole axe, then making the handle on the spot. Which does make sense if you don't the axe right now, but will need it later and don't want to carry the weight or bulk of the handle in the meantime. How you read discarding the entire axe into that argumentation is well beyond me.
>>
>>647052
*you don't need the axe right now
>>
>>647060
the logic, if you follow, is that you will NOT need the axe handle til you have enough wood to chop with said axe, you can even use the head to whittle said handle on the new sight. Solid wood handle can weight around 2-3 lbs, but more to the point, it'll TAKE UP SPACE. Use that broom/spear/etc handle instead til you have a nice pile of wood to age/dry/treat/use.
>>
>>647386
It makes more sense to have a spare axe head or two with no handles and then a primary axe with one that you don't have to fuck around with by making a handle when you could save time and energy by just using the fucking thing right away in the first place.
There is no logical reason to not have a handle at all times.
>>
>>647052

>The poster I replied talked about taking only the head of an axe instead of the whole axe, then making the handle on the spot.

Well I'm glad you are admitting that you both are retarded because no one would do that in reality.

>I'm trying to save weight so I won't bring a gun, axe, axe handle, shoes, wagon, knife, skillet, clothes I will just make one as I need it. Heck I don't even bring bullets because lead is heavy I just smelt lead it if I need a bullet
>>
>>647386
Pioneers carried tons of goods you faggot in freight wagons. 2 pounds is nothing
>>
>>647580
A pioneer did. A trapper or logger going innawoods would not have a wagon.
>>647579
I'm glad you admitted that you misunderstood the point all along.
Also, axe handles are the only thing on your list that can indeed be made on the spot without further materials.
Also, I was never the guy who originally brought this up, was actually skeptical, then thought of situations where the idea made most sense.
Also, why am I wasting my time with you idiot...
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.