[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
newfag seeking outdoors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13
File: slide-3460web.jpg (292 KB, 800x528) Image search: [Google]
slide-3460web.jpg
292 KB, 800x528
Hey anons. In Spring I'm enacting my life's dream of wild living for as long as possible in a roaming way, likely starting in south of Britain and migrating North. I'm adequately versed in trapping, botany, herblore, bow/crossbow hunting, tracking, survival etc enough that I'm not worried about being killed by malnutrition. This will essentially be backpacking that ends either when I decide to stop or in the following September, when I'm going to uni. I'm here to ask whether there's any obscure help /out/ can supply before I go, since my long-term wilderness living hasn't been tested more than twice, and my long-distance travelling hasn't been tested past long hikes etc.

TLDR give me experience based tips on long-term wilderness living pls.
>>
>>'Then a scribe came and said to Him, "Teacher, I will follow You wherever You go." Jesus said to him, "The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head."'

these may very well be the ancient paths, friend

>>"Thus says the LORD, "Stand by the ways and see and ask for the ancient paths, Where the good way is, and walk in it; And you will find rest for your souls."
>>
double pls
>>
>>644721
I'm no student of the bible, but I think I see where you're coming from, I'd like to find the right way to live.
>>
File: wbio.gif (95 KB, 612x792) Image search: [Google]
wbio.gif
95 KB, 612x792
>>644707
>Britain

there's your first mistake. fly someplace you can actually roam and survive in the wilderness.

>http://www.geog.leeds.ac.uk/papers/98-8/
>>
>>644729
No option. Broke as shit. I know this place anyway, in english woods I can outrun gamekeepers reliably. There's no future where I can afford to move country really unless I manage to pass over to Norway, Which would help a lot of issues.
>>
>>644731
you can't earn $2000 in 6 months?
>>
>>644731
What do you mean by wilderness? Sleeping in doorways and eating from trashcans? You can outrun gamekeepers whilst carrying your crossbow and gear? You are a gay faggot who won't last 2 nights
>>
>>644737
Plymouth has almost the highest unemployment in Britain. It's hard even to keep food in. Might be able to eke out like 500 after bills?
>>
>>644745
I've spent homeless time before. And no, but they all have massive shotguns and quad-bikes here. They can't traverse trees easily. Not what I was asking for anyway, I just want advice.
>>
File: cl.png (108 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
cl.png
108 KB, 228x221
>>644731
>london-oslo
>£29.90

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/booking/flight-tickets/farecalendar/?D_City=LGW&A_City=OSL&TripType=1&D_Day=01&D_Month=201604&R_Day=01&R_Month=201604&AgreementCodeFK=-1&CurrencyCode=GBP

either get on it, or shut the fuck up because you're a liar who isn't going to follow through anyways
>>
>>644755
Talk to me about why the UK is so bad beyond the human density?
>>
File: 1448995337935.png (798 KB, 736x748) Image search: [Google]
1448995337935.png
798 KB, 736x748
>>644746
>Plymouth
>>
>>644755
>going on holiday to one of the most expensive countries in the world
Nah
>>644756
Because we fuck all open wild areas m8. Lots of countryside but it's all fields and barely any woodland or large swathes of uninhabited land. You could always go to Scotland though.
>>
>>644756
>human density

that's a HUGE problem for what your suggesting doing. uk's generally great (been all over the british isles, multiple times), but it's shit for getting intentionally lost in the wild.
>>
File: 5646546.gif (1 MB, 341x331) Image search: [Google]
5646546.gif
1 MB, 341x331
>>644766
>holiday

are you retarded? he's not going to be staying in hotels and eating at cafes, so cost of living doesn't matter fuck-all. he's talking about going out in the woods, living in a hut, and eating game.
>>
It's not really about getting lost honestly, more about the experience of moving between areas. And Scotland was always a thought since it seems more accommodating. The only worry would be unfamiliarity with highlands.
>>
>>644769
True
>>
>>644769
This. Norway's bonuses are the acceptance of wild camping happily really. The flora and fauna would be a new hurdle to learn, but the attraction is the abundance of unregulated forests between settlements that are legal to camp in.
>>
File: _61222609_uk_habits_464.jpg (49 KB, 624x645) Image search: [Google]
_61222609_uk_habits_464.jpg
49 KB, 624x645
>>644771
i didn't mean LOST-lost, just "lost to society for a while" lost. which you're not gonna do when this is what you have to work with
>>
You're not gonna make it and here's a non-exhaustive list of why:

1. UK: there is nothing to hunt, forage or trap there. And you don't have a gun.

2. Provided there were enough food, you wouldn't have the time to gather enough. A lot of wannabe McCandless kids come here saying they know how to trap, hunt, forage etc. but the problem is that by the end of the day you won't have acquired more calories than you expended. Days are short, and everything takes more time than you thought it would.

3. Living in one place, a place with adequate wildlife etc (not the UK) is impossible enough, but it's more impossible if you want to make long distances in the meantime. Every hour you walk is an hour you don't gather food, and you need more food to walk.

just watch Into the Wild again, jerk off to how awesome that would be and go back to doing normal /out/ stuff. By the way McCandless was well-prepared, living in possibly the best area to do this and he didn't make it. Mostly because of starvation and kicked to the curb by a plant that was believed to be non-toxic, but was toxic in individuals under prolonged malnutrition and stress.
>>
>>644776
That wasn't necessarily the aim, I get where you're coming from though. I'm interested in being nearby towns for the simple purpose of having a fallback point should everything go tits up, or also being able to break up the time if I'm set for a few days I've found it enjoyable to visit towns and meet people.
>>
File: _61217844_61217843.jpg (12 KB, 304x405) Image search: [Google]
_61217844_61217843.jpg
12 KB, 304x405
another representaion that uk's a terrible destination for this idea. view from the iss at night
>>
>>644778
Sorry to be illiterate but I'm not sure what you were referencing, but I see where you're coming from. I've got a rifle, I'm just a better shot and a better hunter with my bow simply. I recognise the problems, but I'm not looking for encouragement or discouragement, just hypothetical tips to help me not fail so hard.
>>
>>644774
Norway is great, but there is very little that can be foraged. Lots of moose though. Great country for camping in general, you can literally go for weeks without encountering a single human being.
>>
>>644784
what are you gonna, hunt? Sheep lol?

besides like >>644781
said, you're basically gonna be in somebody's back yard or farm for 99% of the time.
>>
File: 0.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>>644779
ah, so when you said

>I'm adequately versed in trapping, botany, herblore, bow/crossbow hunting, tracking, survival etc enough that I'm not worried about being killed by malnutrition.

you actually meant

>I'll be staying close enough to mummy and daddy that I'm not worried about being killed by malnutrition.
>>
>>644779
>complain about the UK not being wild enough
>now say you want to be near civilisation
>>
>>644790
I live alone, my parents live in the north. soz. >>644791
I didn't complain about either? I was trying to make it clear that I'm not too bothered.
>>644789
I'm good at getting rabbits, squirrels, fowl and other birds, and deer occasionally. And I know that. It's an issue, but it's better to try and fail than not try, and therefore it's better to try and fail in a country where I speak the language.
>>
File: hmmm.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
hmmm.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>644793
a) mummy and daddy was a metaphor, you thick cunt

and

b)
>implying everyone in norway doesn't speak english
>>
>>644794
A metaphor for what?
and I have no idea, I've never been, all I know is that I know the UK for sure, and don't know Norway.
>>
>>644795
easy access to services to take care of you.

and they do. or at least enough of them that you'll never be in trouble. i've been all over the world, and you can ALWAYS find someone who speaks english.

but you're so oblivious that you're obviously never going to pull something like this off, so i'm done wasting time with you. stick to the wilds of skyrim, and enjoy pretending that you could be daniel boone.
>>
"muh UK has no wildlife/ no wilderness"

kek. Even my area of sussex, the downs, has large swathes of woodland with lots of deer, rabbits, pigeon and squirrel. there are many forests that you could easily hunt and live in for a while before being caught.

We have an overpopulation of deer, so hunting won't be a problem.

Just go to the Lake district, Northumberland, Or Scotland. Lots of hidden wilderness.

The only trouble you may have is trying to backpack with a crossbow and animal traps. you could have a take down recurve and easily go backpacking with that.
>>
>>644804
Nobody said that. There's just not as much wilderness as Norway or w/e and you have to travel to experience it.
>>
>>644797
ok bye
>>644804
Deer are a massively aweesome source of food here, I agree. Plus I've been doing some dry runs in dartmoor, which is a pretty rough place in terms of harsh environs.
>>644806
Travel would be awesome one day, but I do wanna stay close enough to English towns that I don't die, since I'm not a HURRDERRPRIMITIVE loser, and I actually value my life.
>>
>>644808
m8 you're embarrassing yourself please stop posting.
>>
>>644804
>posts 15 sqaure feet of forest
>muh wilderness

that's cute, anon
>>
>>644794
if anything Norwegian people speak better and more comprehensible English than English people
>>
>>644813
I believe it.The majority of us aren't particularly articulate.
>>
File: 2015-05-27 13.21.13.jpg (4 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-27 13.21.13.jpg
4 MB, 3264x2448
>>644804
of course there's a forest but not enough to travel weeks through the wilderness.

Pic related this is norway
>>
>>644816
It can't compare, no, but it's what I'm used to, and I don't want to get out of my depth too quickly. While I'm here, that view is phenomenal, do you know where it is?
>>
>>644818
yeah it's a pic I took spring this year. It's not even a national park it's just some place out back between Oslo and the Hardangervidda.

The thing is if you do this in the UK, you will be in some semi-back yards for most of the time. If that's fine with you I'd say go for it, try it out and see what happens. Can never get too much /out/ experience and if it turns out to be shit well at least you have that memory.
>>
>>644820
I agree with 100% of what you've said. I was intending to move to the north of Norway in a few years, after I do a uni course. Is it worthwhile? As a lower class white man I can't see any bonus staying here.
>>
>>644818
btw sorry we are all kind of hating on you but you said you were new to this. So yes just try it out, but maybe take it one step at a time instead of trying to live off the land immediately. If you can trap some on the way that's cool but be careful with trying to do 3 things you're inexperienced in at once.
>>
>>644822
I never intended to just leap into living off the land. I meant to mention that i was intending on taking incrementally larger and more ambitious trips until at some point I feel okay to go for long. And no worries, I'm pretty thick skinned ;)
>>
File: 1448799145349.jpg (32 KB, 281x474) Image search: [Google]
1448799145349.jpg
32 KB, 281x474
>>644812
We have very little wilderness, but more wilderness than places like Belgium or the Netherlands.

>>644806
>>644816
Yup, there's not wilderness you can walk three weeks through it. Op will need to go through some fields and over some roads. There are a few places OP could spend a few days walking innawoods.

>>644808
Deer, rabbits and squirrel are easy to get. You could easily feed yourself by eating rabbits, deer and squirrel and eating nettles and bullrush and other wild edibles. you sound pretty based OP, take a chance and do it.
>>
>>644827
Thanks man, I'll probably end up keeping a record to post on here now I'm not just a lurker. I find the blend of urbanisation and wilderness endearing anyway, since it feels interesting to use both natural and man-made landmarks.
>>
Bumping for actual hlep.
>>
>>645055
No. Go lurk more.
>>
>>644831
Wilderness doesn't mean some brambles by the road you retarded gay faggot millennial. You aren't going to find any in that Muslim shithole
>>
>>644707
>herblore

This ain't runescape m8
>>
>>645055
>I'm new to x
>I want to do EXTREME X
>How do I do EXTREME X?

We get threads like this all the time, OP. I can't remember the last time somebody actually came back and said, "Hey, that crazy thing I said I had never done and wanted to do? I did it." We're giving you shit because it's very likely that you'll puss out and no amount of advice is going to change that.

Here's some advice, OP. There is no wilderness where you live. You will be a hobo and a vagrant. You will sleep behind abandoned buildings in the piles of rubble beside construction sites, in a dry ditch on the side of the road, in the small grove of trees behind a welcome sign to a town that does not want you to be there. You will find that your go-to sleeping solution is to find a bridge over a mosquito-ridden creek.

You can have a lot of fun doing all this, but you will not be a wild man.
>>
>>646015
>I can't remember the last time somebody actually came back and said, "Hey, that crazy thing I said I had never done and wanted to do? I did it."
Tourfat.
>>
A friend of mine tried this. After he gave up on it, he said to me:
"How many cherokee do you need to prepare for winter?"
"All of them."
People are societal. Although he said it was interesting, he couldn't do it for more than a few weeks.

Watch your malnutrition, you need to pay attention or you won't realize how screwed you truly are. Before you leave, cut a piece of string to measure the circumference your bicep. Aid workers do this to check for malnourishment in children. Keep it on you in the wild, and use it as an index for your bodymass. If your arm shrinks like mad, it means you should give up and get out of there. Keep an emergency jar of peanut butter or two, keep the lid taped. If you open it, commit to leaving.
>>
>>644707

I think the best thing you can do is to start camping in the weekends now. Nothing really beats your own personal experience. Everyone has their own way of doing things, what they think is important and what the focus of their outdoor experience is.

In my opinion there are some things I find important:
-even though you have a gps you should learn how to use map and compass. If you know how to gather info from a map in a proper way, your outdoor skill will drastically improve
-Be in shape. Things will go slow and you might be tired before you get the routine. Being in shape and not afraid of a little fatigue will help you alot, also being able to take breaks even when you are alone.
-Don't be afraid to stop early and make a good dinner. If you feel down and tired, a good meal can do wonders with moral and energy, especially when hiking

and bring extra socks
>>
>>646083

>Keep an emergency jar of peanut butter or two

How much peanut butter will he need to make it the 100 yards back to town?
>>
>>646095
Did you not read the op? I am well versed in herblore, crossbows and outrunning the kings gaurds. Try to be responsive next time
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.