[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i see these packs all over, apparently from a billion different
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
i see these packs all over, apparently from a billion different manufacturers. Have any of you used them? do they suck? are they a meme? if i give this as a christmas gift, will the recipient actually use it?
>>
>>643047
do not give that as a gift it is a tiny child's size backpack. I got the largest version they make for like $15 on amazon and it's still small as fuck and feels like a ripoff.
>>
>>643051
ty, exactly the kind of thing i wanted to avoid
>>
They look nice but are very small and also hang so far off the back as to act like a lever. Makes hauling 20 lbs feel like 30.

I bought one and re-sold it literally days later.
>>
>>643070
saw someone running with one today and it looked like the thing just had it's own center of gravity, wobbling all over the place.

They look very practical though, just looking at the pic.
>>
>>643047
I have the Drago Tracker
Can't really beat it for the price for a day pack/3 day pack
You have to go in expecting it to be mil spec and not specifically for hiking though
Fits a 2.5L bladder no problem as well.
>>
I have a fox rush pack, it has molle and Alice attachments, a place for hydration pack, and plenty of storage.

I love it as a pack. Be sure to get one with removable straps. I replaced mine with a set of straps that provide a bit more support. I also added thicker waist straps, and put a piece of thick cardboard in the bladder pocket to provide more support.

Removable straps are nice because you can attach it to a molle vest, or to another backpack with ease (like the 5.11 piggy back system)
>>
>>643047

I have one but use it as a range/hunting pack. It holds a bladder well, and I have MOLLE mag pouches, pistol holster, and another compartment strapped to it. Does great for these jobs.

Probably wouldn't be the comfiest pack for a 1-2 day hike, but it would do the job just fine.
>>
>>643047
'Military' styling is a sure sign that it's crap being sold to rednecks.

Actually mil-spec packs are not great either, because a dude wandering around Afghanistan with an m16, plate carrier, trauma kit, and a helicopter on the other end of his radio has very different needs than a backpacker.
>>
I have the miltec ones in what they call 30 and 60 litres capacity. They are okay for my not frequent use for small distances, but they feel really small when you fill them up
>>
strictly anecdotally, if someone were to give me that pack i would never use it. too bulky for a day pack, too heavy, poorly balanced and inefficient for a multiday pack. plus it looks like tryhard pretend soldierboy faggotry.
>>
>>643047
I sold mine on, it was too narrow to be comfortable for any long period when you load it up.

the set up of the pack itself is odd, there are lots of small areas (too many), and not enough big ones, you cant put much of size in it, and if you do load it up with mire than about 10kg it's uncomfortable as fuck
>>
>>643047

I actually enjoy the smaller pack. Pretty much use them to carry odds and ends. Chargers, camera, spare mags, bottle of water, etc.

I did dick around with the straps, now it stays in place a lot better when running.

Also good ffor a med kit bag.
>>
My experience with military and military look-a-like backs are that they are often heavy and bulky. I once bought a backpack which was very recommended but I ended up buying another because it wasn’t really good for hiking and outdoor life in general.
>>
>>643225
Forgot to say that a positiv side is that if its a military bag made in high quality materials, they are often not cheap, military bags are often impossible to destroy.
>>
>>643047
I bought one for $10 on amazon. I carry my shit for work in it. I cut off all the excess straps and buckles and just wear it like a backpack. Works for me for the price. Don't use it for /out/ anything, at all, whatsoever, anything, ever, point blank, period. They suck ass. If I had bought it for anything at all other than to carry the shit to my job that won't fit in my pockets I would be sorely pissed.
>>
>>643228

>High quality.

Top kek
>>
>>643231
Not the person you're mocking but you know very little on milspec apparently. They're not the most comfortable in the world but they're durable. Comfort =/= quality.
>>
>>643047
These are great backs for bushwhacking and moving about the woods with increased mobility. They are also comfortable when you are carrying and using guns. In other words they are a great combat pack.
>>
>>643234

Been 0331 in the Marines for eleven yrs now. A lot of stuff I've been issued has been crap, a lot of time I end up having my wife do some of her own stitching on a lot of my gear.

So I'm sure I got more understanding of mil gear than you. So fuck off faggot.
>>
>>643129
though visually similar i dont think thats the same as the tracker
>>
>>643244
>issued
well we found the problem
>>
>>643244
Just because you use it doesn't mean you understand it. Again comfort doesn't equal quality and name calling doesn't change that. But you go on ahead and act like that if you want.
>>
>>643244
>So I'm sure I got more understanding of mil gear than you.
but apparently not so much of recreational gear. lots of recreational gear is booty much worse than milspec gear, so yeah relative to the other common packs its high quality.
>>
>>643982
It looks pretty damn similar, but comparing again it looks smaller.
>>
>>643244
>0331
>03
>believing infantry in any service will ever get anything good.

It could be worse I was a 91F fixing the basic training m16s and many were from before i was born.

Also the shit you had was definitely used I got my hands on a molle 2 ruck that was pretty old but is still in good shape.
>>
>>643047
This is my favorite because those two hard shell, while not pelican cases, are great for storing electronics or optics that your afraid of breaking.

http://hazard4.com/products/packs/backpacks/clerk
>>
>>644055
If you buy shit from Walmart, then milspec might be higher quality. Otherwise, no.
>>
File: 34476ak.jpg (211 KB, 1010x900) Image search: [Google]
34476ak.jpg
211 KB, 1010x900
Buying tacticool trash when you can buy superior Berghaus.
>>
>>645897
That hip belt looks decidedly uncomfy.
>>
I just got a black one for use as a range bag. It was $17 shipped. It's exactly big enough to contain the shooting supplies I need for my long range rifle.

It is daypack sized and would be useless for spending more than 3 hours in the woods. It isn't particularly comfortable, but that's fine for my needs.
>>
>>645897
>OD backpack
>not tacticool

holy fuck the ironing.
>>
>>643047
>>643051
yup rip off
>>
>>645946
tacticool as in over load of molle, zippers and compartments fuckwit.
>>
>>645897
Berghaus is new age tacticool.

>It's slick and utilitarian, none of that gear queer over-molle'd crap!

>it's also 399.99$! A steal!
>>
used Alice Pack with frame
/thread
>>
>>643047

Think those are just copies of some brand name backpack.

I got cheapest one from DX and it's bad, material started to delaminate and fall apart very quickly.
>>
>>643047

It's a pretty cool day pack.

>Front Small compartment

>16 000mah duel charger
>Usb multi cables for phones

>Front Large Compartment

>Wallet
>ID/Passport
>Multi Tools
>Spare Batteries

>Middle Section

>Medkit 200 piece
>3 Day dry rations
>Gloves and Arab Scarf thing
>Bowie Knife

>Back Compartment

>Spare Phone and Sim Adapter kit
>Laptop/Hoodie/Food/Etc

>Back water bladder holster

>2L water bladder

My day pack and is surprisingly light for everything it holds.

It can take tent and sleeping bag but I wouldn't recommend it for anything than a 1 day hike and then you leave shit at base camp and hike out daily...
>>
>>646138
>new age
been used in combat since the 80s
>It's slick and utilitarian
Implying that's a bad thing
>it's also 399.99$! A steal!
Not even their 100L packs are over $300
>>
>>645318
This.

Fellow army here. Of course you got the garbage, when does infantry ever get anything shiny and new (with the exception of specialized schools ie ranger MARSOC SF etc)?
The current rucksack is garbage, but the assault pack is worlds better than using an ALICE pack for a 3 day. That being said, an ALICE pack not destroyed and with a good sturdy frame blows everything else out of the water.
Also marine corps has been notorious for using old outdated equipment. Ever wonder why your branch is the only one that still trains with M60s while everyone else avoids them like the plague?
I still hear stories from my fellow marine brother about the days he got to switch to a 240b downrange.

Also also, the farther you look back the better the equipment gets (if its unissued, which is likely your biggest problem).
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.