[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the best pole to travel with? Im thinking about a penrod
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: pen.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
pen.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
Whats the best pole to travel with?

Im thinking about a penrod but i heard they break easy.
>>
My g/f is from Warsaw, so I'm partial...
>>
I just make a trident-like spear wherever I go. Works for me.
>>
2 pc ultralight spinning rod with 4 or 6 lb line and a small tackle box of lures.

If you're going really light, 30-50 ft of 8-10 lb line wound around a spool and a few hooks, split shot and bobbers in a bag. Find worms/grasshoppers for bait.
>>
File: fishwow.jpg (157 KB, 509x451) Image search: [Google]
fishwow.jpg
157 KB, 509x451
>>642895
>>
>>642895
Don't get a telescopic rod, too much potential breakage and weak points. Get a rod that can break in half or carve a sturdy stick and wrap line around it.
>>
>>642895
tenkara
>>
>>642895
Packrod

I got OPs pic related a week ago for 1 bucks tho, i think itll be good as a panfish rod while in kayaking. Ive got a full size for the bigger stuff itll just be nice to have something compact for little pinner fish
>>
>>643286
> paying for plastic shit when you could use a Jamacian fishing pole (glass coke bottle)
>>
>>643286
This. Cubans know how to make some good shit sometimes.
>>
I had a penrod for a number of years and could never catch a thing, not to mention I have et to find one that isn't poorly constructed
>>
>>643444
trips confirm
>>
>>642895
I've always carried one of those Shakespeare black widow or whatever collapsible cane rods.
Caught everything from finger-sized bluegills to 15lb channel cats with it.
>>
>>642895
Had one of these, the rod snapped long before even the cheap shitty line it came with did, waste of $15. It's great for catching baby goldfish and that's it.
>>
>>643417
> using a shitty heavy, slow and small reel, not making superior version of a tin can that can also store all your shit
>>
File: cuban yoyo.jpg (67 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
cuban yoyo.jpg
67 KB, 800x600
>>643286
confirmed, I always keep one in my backpack.

In fairness, all you need are a few hooks, some beads and a weight, you can put a 30g (1oz) weight a good 50m (160ft) out into the water with ease

I'm an island dwellers, so I'm never far from the coast and rock/shore fishing is always on the cards for me.
>>
>>642895
Can't you just use a stick in the wilderness?
>>
>not using your bear hands
>>
>>646399
Yeah, actual question here, why can't you cut a 2m hazel shoot? Ruler-straight 1,50m+ hazel is all over the place, at least in Europe.
>>
>>644301
Now catch a striper on it.
>>
>>646399
>>646433
Eyelets, proper springyness, different sensitivity at the top, better handle, proper attachment of a reel, way less likely to have a weak point such as a knothole.

Plus all the wood we have in canada is about as straight as freddy mercury
>>
>>646440
kek he's going to live off of lampreys
>>
>>642895
I have a penrod. The spinning version is most reliable, heard the baitcaster sucks. I have caught up to 16 inch bass, medium size brown trout, panfishes and it works good. I use 4lb berkely fireline braided so it adds a bit of smootheness. Good as a backup/packrod for ultralight backpacking. Also have a daiwa minispin 4 pc ultralight. All in all, buy the penrod. Its $17, costs as much as 2 rapalas
>>
>>646525
more likely they'll live off him...
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.