[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what does /out/ think about cold steel knives?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: coldsteel.png (14 KB, 355x81) Image search: [Google]
coldsteel.png
14 KB, 355x81
what does /out/ think about cold steel knives?
>>
Some of the best there are.
>>
Cheap, durable, hard use gear. Tested and true son. I really like their trail boss axe even more so after I reprofiled the bit.
>>
>>642660
I love their videos, but I make my own gear.
>>
>>642660
>strongest
Only the locking mechanism, not the blades by any means.

>sharpest
lol no son, no fucking way

The newer models with better still are more expensive, but they still are a good bang for the buck. Their costumers are more "mall ninja" oriented, and they produce some disgusting shit(spears/swords/knives). They also produce some really good stuff, the code4 for example it's awesome.

Despite want some people want to believe, they still are bellow Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT. Another thing, their owner is autistic as fuck.
>>
>>642683
>Despite want some people want to believe, they still are bellow Benchmade, Spyderco, ZT.

those companies don't even make the same products as Cold Steel. There is more to cutting tools than $200 folding glorified mail openers.
>>
Cold Steel makes good stuff but a lot of it is tacticool stuff that no one really needs. Good quality and relatively cheap but if you are looking for a tool I would go with mora (it's a meme for a reason).
>>
>>642660

/k/ here, cold steel is junk.
>>
>>642723
>cold steel is junk
t.paramilitary 2 owner
>>
/b/ here,

psssh, nothing personnel OP but cold steel is junk
>>
>>642660

They're fine. They have some interesting items. They have a wide variety, so it's a little hard to generalize. Check the reviews of an item if you're looking at something in particular.
>>
>>642660

Excellent for the price, one of the best brands ever.

Excellent affordable folding knives with the strongest lock.

Excellent affordable fixed blades, sharp as fuck.

Excellent fun and wacky stuff, like clubs, swords and weird knify things.

And to top that, they dont take themselves too seriously, something to praise these days.

Also, many "professionals" as tactifags call them use Cold Steel knives.

Just dont buy their high end stuff, it is vastly inferior to the competence at those prices.
>>
>>642785
this basically they are a meme factory.
but they do okay quality for cheap.
it's nothing to write home about but the guy who said crap is clearly a retard.
>>
>>642785
nobody takes anything seriously. at least the general populace doesn't. it's only those who want a specific audience who have to tailor their por-propoganda to fit their standards
>>
File: swordgod.jpg (261 KB, 467x640) Image search: [Google]
swordgod.jpg
261 KB, 467x640
COLD STEEL

COLD, HARD STEEL
>>
> With all the shilling itt, when do we y get to a quid?
>>
>>642869

wut
>>
Like others have said, most of there stuff is overpriced tacti-cool. However, there blade qc is upper end. I would say the best thing cold steel ever made was the Finn bear. Cheap hardworking knife!

Cold steel loves stainless and I don't take stainless very seriously for outdoor usage. The Finn bear is great for skinning game, cleaning fish, or making tinder. Most of there knives though, I feel anyway, have poor to average edge retention at best. They also like to use hallow grinding to much. They make good stuff there just not by any means the leader of the pack like they think they are.

Just my two cents, its ok to have multiple knives when outdoors. I always carry my Finn bear for finer things and my okc Afghan bush for chopping and building.
>>
>>642660
I have a wide variety of cold steel products, haven't had any issues with any of them. I plan on buying from them again.

Here's some bait
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DNRn-sK-c
>>
CS is trash. I guess for the cheap price it's OK. But people should invest more into a good knife.
>>
>>642883
How many do you have?

Or are you just parroting the same regurgitated vomit all the other /k/holes puke up?
>>
WHAT!!!!
I saw this thread in the catalog and thought OP was trolling or about to be torn up......
This is literally the least knowledgeable board on 4chan.
Cold Steel is infomercial tier.
>>
Every knife company I know of at least makes one good knife so calling entire brands trash is pretty stupid. I have a bunch of Cold Steel stuff and they have done nothing but impress me in terms on value. I like CS products because the company and employees are real big on testing and using their products as well as their customers, so I can actually see some field testing before I buy. A lot of another knives people push I have never seen any field testing done on them and I could care less what the product description or some table top review speculates about.
>>
>>642660
Knives are okay but for the price there are better things out there and anything but the knives like swords are some of the worst
>>
>>642660
Their low tier stuff is good for the place. But the SRK is over rated for its price range which has jumped up considerably over the years. It's not worth the price mark it's at. Their other gear is at a decent price range and a good quality. Got a buddy who swears by them. I think they should be a cheaper price though.
>>
Cold steel a shit
>>
>>642990
>>643156
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN0kfBMt-5M
>>
/fa/ here, cold sheel is shit
>>
/gif/ here
Hate to break it to you but cold steel is garbage
>>
/pol/ here. Anyone who buys cold steel is retarded
>>
/v/ here
Cold steel is for fucking mongols
>>
/fit/ here. Fuck cold steel.
>>
>>643180
>>643182
>>643183
>>643184
>>643185

Same fag
>>
File: Autismo Maximo.jpg (163 KB, 780x770) Image search: [Google]
Autismo Maximo.jpg
163 KB, 780x770
Shhhh... Nothing personel, /out/
>>
>>642667

Go away. 4chan was better off after you left. Take your fay knives with you.
>>
>>643193
>>643185
>>643184
>>643183
>>643182
>>643180
>>642763
>>642723

butthurt sebenza fag detected
>>
its really hard to see threads like these and not instantly think marketer
>>
>>642763
>/b/ here
FUCK OFF
>>
>>643210
yeah maybe but it looks more like heavy baiting to me.
>>
the clame of selling the "strongest, sharpest knives" is only true about 30%-35% of what they sell. anything under $150 is really half assed sharpened.
>>
I carry a Cold Steel folder, it's a fine knife. Not too expensive, great lock, holds an edge pretty well.
Has more miles than most of these prima donna faggets with their Gucci knives do. We camped over twenty times this year, my knives get beat up doing all kinds of tasks. I'd buy another one.
>>
>>643717
i posted in an other thread about my mini recon
this cold steel bashing frenzy got me thinking
pros:
>affordable
>damn near indestructible
>pretty much a substitute for a fix blade (the blade will break before the lock or the handle)
>pretty light for the blade thickness
>excellent good traction on handle
cons:
>pretty common steel for the blade
>handle is very abrasive especially to clothing
>damn near impossible to close one handed
>pretty difficult to open one handed (partly because of small size i think)
>coating is really tactitard and unnecessary on a stainless, no option for coatless
>edge not brought to the mini-choil as it was supposed to
>pocket clip too damn strong it's practically useless coupled with the raspy handle

all in all i understand why many would never buy it, but for me the toughness for the price is a good selling point outbalancing the ergo issues.
>>
>>642869
did you have a stroke? you good?
>>
http://www.opinel-usa.com
>>
File: Csmh.jpg (422 KB, 1341x753) Image search: [Google]
Csmh.jpg
422 KB, 1341x753
>>642660
I bought this shortly after they released the 3V version, dressed 4 sheep and a few rabbits with it now plus assorted other tasks, pretty damn happy with it so far. Having tested the Cold Steel waters with this knife I want to try a Code 4 drop point folder next.
>>
>>643193
Psssh
>>
>>642660
i've owned 2 of their knives in my life, for the price they are not bad,i respect the tri-ad lock the most,but their owner and their videos about 'proof test' and their shurikens and bats and clubs...are autistic as fuck
>>
>>642863
i always kek on that image
>>
>>642723
Fellow /k/omrade here. You need to separate yourself from the meme friend.

Cold Steel makes some really good stuff. and some shit that is screaming mediocrity
>>
>>643193
FUCKING KEVIN STOP POSTING MY SHIT!

are you looking for an heirloom knife, a really practical carry that will last, or just something you can toss aside and not care about.

from what i know about cold steel you will not get anything in the first two categories from them. but if you good bang for your buck and not have to worry about it breaking in the next year you would be fine with cold steel.
if i was about to buy a locking pocket knife i would prob a Kershaw Leek but im a weirdo and prefer french folding knives.
>>
>>647490
>draw me like one of your laguioles
>>
File: dryhj.jpg (378 KB, 3274x1864) Image search: [Google]
dryhj.jpg
378 KB, 3274x1864
still goin' strong
>>
I don't know but they chose stupid name. Cold steel is weak.
>>
If the world came to an end and we were invaded by pig carcasses, Watermelons and Ice blocks, I would get Cold Steel, if I wanted an actual reliable non meme knife, I would get something else.
>>
>>647925
>implying the world ending wouldn't involve everyone fighting a bunch of watermelons
>>
>>647959
WIDF fuck off, we're not going to waste our blades on your soft flesh.
>>
>>647925
I love how people criticize them for actually testing their knives. Yeah they do cheesy showmanship for entertainment value but its harmless. Better than companies like Buck and Kabar who put out knives without testing them and then when your blade snaps in half, opps guess we fucked up our heat treat hurrr durr.
>>
Psshh, nothing personnel kid.
>>
>>648061
I love how you defend a shitty meme company for free.
>>
>>647917
the fuck are you talking about?
>>
File: mfw2.jpg (46 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
mfw2.jpg
46 KB, 275x275
>>648118
>Not choosing products based on their merits
>>
>>648127
>not choosing products based on value for price
>>
>>648130
>Not understanding value is a merit
>>
>>648131
way i see it it actually encompasses merits in a complex way
not every merit is important to your application you must weight them and this makes it a single function called value
>>
>>648132
Trouble is value is completely subjective, for one person a CRK signed by Chris would be immeasurably valuable, for others, laugable but writing off every product made by a company because of certain aspects of a company is straight up retarded.
>One doesn't avoid an R700 action for target shooting because Remington/Cerberus are retarded.
>One doesn't avoid a Toyota Landcruiser because the Toyota Ruckus is beyond retarded.
>>
>>647911
A well used older style Recon-1 w/Tanto blade sharpened to the point that the Serrated edges are gone…very nice. how old?
>>
File: Finnwolf.jpg (126 KB, 900x438) Image search: [Google]
Finnwolf.jpg
126 KB, 900x438
Been using their "Finn Wolf" knife for nearly 2 months now and is still going strong. Feels ok in the hand, the lock seems great. I love the blade style. Does really well for my carving tasks.

All in all a good cheap knife that does better than its price point.

If I just had $200 or more to blow on knives, I'd buy a Helle.
>>
>>643183

Well, now I'm starting to think they're not so bad.

The spetznaz shovel is cheap and excellent. Like, as in, stupidly good everyone-should-own-one good. I only wish the handle was finished with BLO and not the shitty varnish they use.
>>
File: disappoint.gif (22 KB, 192x240) Image search: [Google]
disappoint.gif
22 KB, 192x240
>>642976
>I could care less
>>
ITT people parroting memes that have never used a CS knife.
>>
>>642660
I've had a Bushman, Mini Bushman, three machetes including the kukri machete, and a fixed blade the model of which I can't remember from Cold Steel. The machetes are great, especially when you can shop around and get them under $20 without much looking. You can beat the holy hell out of them, sharpen them with a file followed by a coarse stone, rinse, and repeat forever without fear of failure. The Mini-Bushman is probably the best knife they ever made, I wish they still made them. The fixed blade wouldn't hold an edge, and the full-sized Bushman doesn't hold an edge all that well.

All in all, I'd say they're better than Gerber but not as good as SOG or the old-line makers like Case, Buck, and Ka-Bar.
>>
>>648940
That blade was never serrated.
>>
>>642660
i like cold steel. but there are better brands out there. in my opinion i would say cold steel is made for what they purpose in their ads.
prices gone up way too much for what they offer in the last time, but somehow it's still fair.
>>642723
yes, quality junk. junk desigend to hurt people.
>>
>>647911
That's my EDC and has been for years. Mine has the combo serrated edge which I don't like. Going to replace it with a Cris Reeve Sebenza 25 this year.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.