[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, sc/out/s! I want to get a dog for going /out/. I also want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
Hey, sc/out/s! I want to get a dog for going /out/. I also want to start getting involved in mycology. So I think I want to choose a breed that would enjoy helping me with that, since working breeds enjoy working. I want to make sure it's a dog with a good sniffer, for finding mushrooms, but I can't choose between a beagle and a lab. The beagle would certainly eat less, but a lab, I think would be able to carry his own food. I do a lot of hiking, and could be out for up to a couple weeks. Which breed would be easiest to train for SAR-type work? What else should I think about before choosing my breed?
>>
>>642414
You'ed better think about having more reasons than just going out and findin mushrooms (which is stupid).

A dog is ging to be a 24/7/365 resposibility and if you don't have a yard, you're walking it twice a day or more!

A dog is more than just a trophy, it takes care and love.

Maybe you should start with a fish for your first pet?
>>
>>642420
This isn't my first pet. I'm thirty, I've had several dogs before. Walking him wouldn't be an issue, I'm starting the PCT this spring, and plan on continuing straight to the CT and then AT afterwards. And regardless of how you feel about mushrooming, its something I'd like to do to pass the time while I hike.
>>
>>642431

>long distance hiking with a dog.
>triple crowning in a single go with said dog.

Jesus fucking Christ.
>>
>>642435
Do you think the dog wouldn't be able to handle it?
>>
>>642435
Fuck no. Do some research. Let's say you had a dog that has been active its whole life and has been going on hikes regularly. You STILL wouldn't hike the whole PCT with the pup, let alone do the insanity that the OP posted. You'd do sections of it. Believe it or not, dogs weren't meant to hike 20-30 miles a day.

You'd be hard pressed finding someone who has done either the PCT, CDT or AT in one season with a dog.
>>
>>642442
http://appalachiantrials.com/hiking-with-a-dog-part-2/

It basically says that every time they took a break or hiked a short day (under 15 miles) that the dog would want to jump around and play because it still had too much energy.

It also said that dogs don't acclimate to long distance hikes as quickly as people do, so that's something I'll take into consideration.
>>
>>642452
They only did 1400 miles of the AT bro, opposed to the 7,900 you are proposing.

Regardless of how the owners felt about their dog's condition and how it was acting, they're dicks. You just don't do a long distance thru hike with a dog. I'd recommend doing the PCT or AT by yourself (you don't have a dog yet so you don't have to worry about him/her for 5 months) so you can learn first hand from other hikers in person about how bad of an idea that is.
>>
>>642460
I actually just did some reading that crushed my dreams. Turns out that the AT can't be through-hiked with a dog, there's several restricted areas. Since I'd be doing that one last anyway, looks like I'm going to wait until I'm done.
>>
>>642442
>dogs weren't meant to hike 20-30 miles a day.

>casually ignoring sled dogs

>How many miles do you cover in an average day?
>The dogs are very fast and easily cover 20 to 40 miles per day. The number of miles vary depending on the travel conditions-- e.g. if there has been fresh snow the night before, thus "slowing the trail," you may travel just the twenty miles it takes to get to your nights destination. If the trail is fast you will take a different route and travel many more miles.
>>
>>642521
>taking a Husky for a nice long hike in the Mojave

It's cool you can read shit online and deduct things from that, but reality is quite different.
>>
>>642736
>Zowie!

LTR.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>642414
Beagle owner here
My doge once ate a loaf of bread half her size. They don't have a mechanism that allows them to tell if there stomach is full
>>
>>642414
Leonberger, I have one currently, and have had several, great dogs
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.