[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you train a dog like a german sheperd or any large dog to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 506x338) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 506x338
Can you train a dog like a german sheperd or any large dog to hunt deer?
>>
>>642349
Like chase and kill a deer on it's own? I don't think you could reliably train them to do that.
>>
>>642349
Google Deerhound
>>
>>642353

No like bite a deer and then i shoot the deer.
>>
It is a behavior that most large dogs will do without a lot of training. This said you need to do everything you can to prevent it. Feral dogs are bad, running deer is bad. In my area it is actively encouraged to shoot any wild dogs witnessed running deer. CO's and animal control officers will shoot them on sight and actively investigate reports of dogs running deer. Encouraging the behavior is not a great idea.
>>
>>642362
good luck shooting your dog
>>
I have a deerhound x bull arab and apparently this is what they do. I've trained mine to sit silently and then retrieve the rabbits which I shoot but it's a pretty big dog and could probably do more /out/ stuff
>>
>>642362
That is an inherently poor idea, two animals thrashing about will not present a good target.
>>
>>642349
Some states actually have laws mandating that hunters are obligated to shoot dogs that they see chasing or harassing deer.
>>
>>642393
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/02/25/the-death-penalty-for-dogs-that-chase-deer/
>>
File: Shep.gif (434 KB, 481x343) Image search: [Google]
Shep.gif
434 KB, 481x343
I have successfully trained my Shepard to firmly but gently hold the prey in place with hip sorcery so I have a clear shot.

see example with a farm animal.
>>
File: 1423340692617.jpg (38 KB, 500x309) Image search: [Google]
1423340692617.jpg
38 KB, 500x309
That's Amazing
>>
Bump
>>
The dog needs to learn tracking, which is possible with a german shepherd. Forget about the biting stuff thats not what hunting dogs do. I read about a guy using it for moose hunt. But I guess its uncommon for a reason. Probably hard to train.
>>
>>642758
>your dog chases deer.... my .270 chases dog.
>>
>>642353
No, like train it to use a gun and shoot the deer.
>>
>>642819
Is this referring to this?
>>642472

Not everyone lives and hunts in Minnesota. If you shot my dog where I live and hunt, you would be the one in trouble. Come to think of it, shooting an armed persons dog is probably a bad idea in general.
>>
>>642834
The issue is less that your going to be with the dog and more that you are encouraging an instinctual behavior that will lead t ok your dog running deer on its own time. Since the only shit Lords who think it is a great idea tend to not keep the best control of their dogs they kind of play onto each other. The minesota law, although more extreme than most, is pretty indicative of most northern states. Very few don't punish the owner severely and many states will have at least law enforcement destroying dogs in the wild for that behavior.
>>
>>642834
Uh...if someone shoots your dog then they're armed too, sperglord.
>>
>>642834
Unless they have livestock. Many (maybe even most?) states allow livestock owners to shoot dogs harrasing livestock. Likely all they need to do is claim some variation of "your dog was harrasing my cow' and there's nothing you can do except maintain better control of your next dog.

That is assuming that you can even find your dog. Most farmers subscribe to the SSS philosophy: shoot, shovel, and shut-up.
>>
>>643019
>Most farmers subscribe to the SSS philosophy: shoot, shovel, and shut-up.

I always wonder how many bears are killed each year like this. I always see videos of bears fucking up people's houses and they are too scared to do anything. If that was me I would kill the bear, I have no bloodlust but its ridiculous to be bullied by nature like that.
>>
Can i train my 15lb chihuaha mix to hunt?
>>
>>642975
>>643019
you guys are assuming that I have some sort of mad dog that is going to maul every living creature in its path

I am simply talking about hunting dogs who do are trained to do the DESIRED behavior during a hunt. It doesn't mean that it's let loose on a rampage.
It's obvious you've never hunted with dogs trained by capable people if you're this scared of them doing something wrong.
>>
>>643146
and btw, if I'm hunting some animal then that means I've already talked to the landowner
so there's even less reason for them to freak out just because a hunting dog is in their woods
>>
File: Fo4_Attack_Dog.png (32 KB, 378x257) Image search: [Google]
Fo4_Attack_Dog.png
32 KB, 378x257
>>642362

>Your faithful canine companion can hold an enemy, giving you a greater chance to hit them in V.A.T.S.

Maybe a little too much fo4 OP.
>>
>>642349
I'm thinking of getting doge for companionship and upland hunting.

Low shedding is a bonus.

I've been told that the Brittany is good for that, anyone have tips for breeds that would fit the requirement?
>>
>>643287
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fila_Brasileiro
>>
>>643298
Unless he is already used to training dogs, which i doubt, i wouldn't recommend one of those, they may not be as agressive towards its keeper as a pitbull, but they still may attack strangers and can easily cause some damage.
Also, i heard about some cases of one of thos Filas easily killing Pitbulls, which says a lot about then.
>>
>>643298
>>643304
That also seems bigger for

Also, no I'm definitely not used to training dogs, so something easy to train, and medium sized would be best for me. I love schnauzers, but I would like to take my dog on outdoors adventures and potentially upland hunting, like I said earlier.
>>
>>643312
*Seems a little bigger than what I want
>>
i believe there is boar hunting with dogs
>>
>>643312
You could try a Labrador, its good as a hunting dog, but still calm enough to not fuck everything.
>>643298
"They were taught to chase down jaguars, cattle, and other animals, as well as runaway slaves. The dogs would grab the slave or animals by the neck and hold them until the farmer arrived. This instinct can be observed among puppies when they are playing."

What the fuck? How can a dog hold a cow by its neck?
>>
>>643321
>You could try a Labrador, its good as a hunting dog, but still calm enough to not fuck everything.

See they also shed a lot.

I just did some research and I guess schnauzers are fine if I get a standard or giant schnauzer since they apparently use them for hunting and herding.
>>
>>643327
The extra fur helps then with situations involving water through.
>>
>>643331
True, I'm just kinda OCD about fur on clothes, I guess. Because otherwise I'd totally have like a german shepard or a belgian malinois.
>>
german shepherds are not considered hunting dogs in germany.
>>
>>643148
Hunting with permission on someone's property is completely different than an unknown dog chasing deer (or livestock) on my property.
>>
>>643374
That wasn't exactly clear... the unknown loose dog situation is the situation I was talking about. Why would I let someone hunt my property and then shoot their dog???
>>
In a slightly related note, how does training a dog work? Is it all repetition and then some rewards?
>>
>>642349
I think they are hunted with hounds in the swamps of the south still. Probably declining in popularity as large pieces of land get subdivided. Deer can run a long ass way. Hard to cut off the chase.
>>642362
It takes a hell of a fast dog to catch a deer and you aren't likely to be in the same zip code by the time he does. Deer can wreck some shit with their front hooves.
>>
>>643418
If you work with hunting dogs, it's a lot about reading body language and interacting with your dog following it's instincts.
>>
>>643142
Your fat ass dog needs a diet.
>>
>>642527
Underrated.
>>
>>643376
> this has potential

Pepper spray the dogs! Then pepper spray the owners! Stomp on thier hippey bare feet and the call the cops and say they assaulted you and you had to defend yourself!

Make it clear they came on your property as tresspassers that meant you bodily harm and have them locked up for felony assault!

That will show the gun owners!
>>
File: tumblr_mnmt496eON1qzwmsso1_1280.jpg (187 KB, 1000x666) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mnmt496eON1qzwmsso1_1280.jpg
187 KB, 1000x666
>>642349
this what going to happen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmpONxJ7JSw
>>
>>644449
>Mix
>>
What you want is a deaf dog.
Here in the south we run dogs wearing Garmin collars after hog and deer. Following on ATV. Cut the femoral artery after the dogs get it down. Really fucking easy.
>>
Can I train deer to hunt deer?

I can steal a few baby deer and raise them to bring their friends in the wild to my lawn where "all the good food" is, then BANG!

Free deer its perfect
>>
>>642349
Yes, it is rather easy, but you need a smart breed. Collies are great for pushing deer into ambushes. They can drive deer right up to you or into a special clearing and stop and wait outside the clearing for you to shoot the deer.
>>
>>643304
I bet you are one of those sperglords who thinks pits have locking jaws too.
>>
>>642349
We had an Irish deer hound that was trained to kill wallabies.
Dumb but fast.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.