[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /out/, first time poster here. I am going to start getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: hunting in pa.jpg (188 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
hunting in pa.jpg
188 KB, 1024x768
Hello /out/, first time poster here.

I am going to start getting into hunting, specifically with a bow. I am not sure where to start with getting my license and which I would need to hunt with a bow.

I am going to hunt in good ole PA as a PA Resident, so the license I know only costs me about $20 or so, as long as I pass the test.

Any tips on getting started? Resources, what kind of bow should I look into, etc?

Also I am wondering if Archery Ranges would have bows to try out so I could get a feel for them, but I guess that's just dependent on my area.
>>
but that's inhumane anon
>>
>>642038
Hunting is literally the only form of entertainment in this godforsaken state.
>>
PA game warden here. We have regulations to keep imbeciles away from weapons and such that if

>I am not sure where to start with getting my license

Then you probably have no business hunting or owning a weapon
>>
>>642058
Everybody starts somewhere anon
>>
>>642031
Start by going to your state's Dept of Fish, Game, and Wildlife website. Most states require hunter education. The program will teach you what you need to know about hunting laws and harvesting ethically, and will put you in touch with your area's most highly experienced hunters that can provide you with tips and answer your questions.
>>
>>642052
>hunting
>entertainment
>>
>>642077
Maybe start with the PA DNR website rather than an anime message board.
>>
>>642031
>Any tips on getting started?

Practice with your bow daily. Even if it just 8 to 12 shots a day. Aim small and practice at a distance farther than you would actually take a kill shot at.

>Resources, what kind of bow should I look into, etc?

Traditional? Compound? How much bow experience do you have? What is the budget?
>>
>>642031
>Also I am wondering if Archery Ranges would have bows to try out so I could get a feel for them

Any decent sporting good shop that deals in archery will have a place to let you try a few bows out, as well as get it tuned for you.

Even if you never hunt, archery is pretty fun. Well, until you lose your Easton fmj arrows out in the pastor.
>>
>>642031
As far as what kind of bow for hunting, your first choice is compound or traditional (recurves & longbows). You'll be good enough to hunt earlier with a compound (you still need to practice and learn proper form and it'll still take at least a few months). I shoot compound myself and don't know a lot about the trad side of things.

Getting into it, you should ideally be prepared to spend $500-$700, enough to get you a good bow (metrics being things like speed, comfort, weight, forgiveness etc) that you won't rapidly outgrow. It can be done for less, but you'll have a lot less choice below that price point. You being new, steer clear of 70 pound bows for the moment. If you want a specific recommendation, I'm a bowtech guy but if I were starting out now, the 2016 hoyt powermax looks good, as does the PSE brute force. Both $500 bare.

The most important thing is to establish good form early and practice with good form. Youtube can help, but it won't pick you up on mistakes you're making - you ideally want a more experienced archer to help out every now and again and tell you what to work on.
>>
If you want to start with traditional archery, I'd recommend buying a cheap beginners practice bow with <30 pounds draw weight and 2 to 3 lightweight carbon arrows: f.e. pse snake, bear titan.

Practice and develop a good form and consistency and then move to a good, strong bow and hunting arrows.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.