[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best hikes in the midwest? So far the best I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5
What are the best hikes in the midwest? So far the best I've seen is Wildcat Mountain State Park in western Wisconsin, and Porcupine Mountain State Park in UP Michigan.

Ice Age Trail through Southern Wisconsin has some parts that look a lot like Virginia too.
>>
starved rock or Matheson state park both in Illinois are pretty good
>>
>>641347
I personally thought that Starved Rock was one of the worst Midwest hikes I've done. The canyons are REALLY cool, but the hike to the canyons is completely disgusting with trash and paved paths all over the place. I hear Matheson state park is better though.

One hidden gem is Governor Dodge state park. Lots of hills, lake, outlooks, and a few waterfall canyon areas, and pretty raw.
>>
Black Hills National Forest and Badlands National Park in South Dakota.
>>
>>641372
Surprised people consider this to be the Midwest. Awesome places though.
>>
Michigander here, I've been hiking the Porkies for about 20 years now, and let me tell you, it is gorgeous. Definitely worth a trip or two.
>>
>>641378
That's upper Midwest aka high Plains. Deff second badlands and black hills combo, though both are big enough to do individually. Boundary waters in Minnesota.
>>
>>641636
I'm going up there for the first time in a few weeks. Should I start with the escarpment trail?
>>
>>641647
I really wish I would have hiked around the Badlands Wilderness area. I just hiked around the touristy trails.

Also, Harney Peak is fucking incredible. Anywhere else in Black Hills that is worth seeing?
>>
i've always wanted to hike the Mississippi
>>
>>641343
>wildcat
Mah nigga. I live in that area for part of the year. Go to the reserve just south of the park, much more innawoodsy
>>
>>641378
I grew up there and all my life people have called it part of the Midwest.
>>
>>641759
Mt. Pigsah? Where? I'm going there on Monday.
>>
File: PA030015.jpg (3 MB, 2736x3648) Image search: [Google]
PA030015.jpg
3 MB, 2736x3648
>>641735
Escarpment is beautiful
>>
>>641759
Also, what's the best hike in the driftless region? Quincy bluff looks pretty raw.
>>
>>641349
your right, another good hiking trail would be the Shawnee national forest or ice age national scenic trail
>>
>>641737
Spearfish canyon, needles, mount Rushmore, crazy horse, list is endless brah.
>>
>>641785
I agree, I'd consider it more Midwest than Ohio and Indiana and Michigan
>>
>>642065
Those are in the heart of the Midwest.
MN, IA, WI, IL, IN, MI, OH

I would say states like MO, ND, SD, PA are sort of transitional states.
>>
/r/ing anything good in Southeastern Wisconsin
>>
>>642065
Growing up we always we referred tonplaces like Ohio and Indiana as "central states"
>>
>>643351
Ice age trail in Kettle Moraine Southern Unit is sweet. Most trails on the southern unit are pretty cool. South east WI is probably the ugliest part of WI though. You have to drive 2 hours to get anywhere really cool
>>
I live in eastern NE now after spending a few years in WA and it seems like there's no really good hiking anywhere within a short drive. life is misery.
>>
File: 20151004_092440.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20151004_092440.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
Pic is from near the top of mount trudee on the superior hiking trail in Minnesota. I've only hiked the southern portion around gooseberry falls and tettegouche state park, but if follows most of the mn superior costline. Highly recommended, but very popular so not a lot of solitude in the peak seasons.

I've also hiked Harny peak in sd, it was a great view.
>>
File: 20150802_173849.jpg (3 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150802_173849.jpg
3 MB, 3264x1836
More superior hiking trail, this one is the split rock river.
>>
File: 1438313046601.jpg (23 KB, 250x237) Image search: [Google]
1438313046601.jpg
23 KB, 250x237
>>643608
>South east WI is probably the ugliest part of WI
tfw
The kettle moraine is cool though, I haven't been to the the southern unit yet, just Pike Lake and Lapham peak.
>>
>>643742
Yeah, I moved down to the southeast part of the state from west central and it's miserable.
>>
>>641343
The Hocking Hills region of (SE) Ohio has some really nice hikes. Especially good in fall and winter. I probably wouldn't travel across 3 states to get to them but they are quite beautiful.
>>
>>643742
Northern unit seems gay. Southern Unit seems like it has much different terrain, and there aren't many people there either. Some of the trails run across highways though, which is really annoying, and some of the views from the 1,000 foot hills are just of ugly farms and stuff.
>>
>>643834
Well it still sounds beautiful to me anon.
>>643772
God, is it really that bad here? I've lived here my whole life and I've always thought that this region was worse than the others but I wouldn't call it miserable.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.