[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is anyone here in the career of being a Conservation Officer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 19
Is anyone here in the career of being a Conservation Officer or know anyone that is? I am looking into going into that type of career path and was wondering if it's shitty or awesome.
>>
Border patrol would be a better choice. You get /out/ and have the opportunity of chasing wild brown animals
>>
>>641144
A few guys that still lurk /k/ were rumored to be. Possibly check there too. Not all of us came over when the board was made.
>>
File: image.jpg (284 KB, 1107x998) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
284 KB, 1107x998
>>641144
Do you like:
Investigating atv crashes?
Pulling the bodies of drowning victims from a lake?
Investigating hunting accidental shooting?
Digging through the carcass of an animal looking for the bullet of a poacher?
Killing wild hogs?
Riding on 4 wheelers looking for poachers in a woods?
Driving a boat looking for people fishing without a license
Teaching hunter education to kids?
Helping land owners keep trespassers off the property?
>>
>>641180
Not him but this sounds awesome. 9/10 would enlist.
>>
File: image.gif (41 KB, 385x256) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
41 KB, 385x256
A
CO Jeff Panich was working an ORV patrol on Drummond Island when he observed an ORV exiting a closed section of trail. CO Panich caught up with the operator and asked if he knew he was on a closed trail. To the officer’s surprise, the man said yes, and explained he was just approached by a girl walking down the trail. She explained that her boyfriend’s jeep was stuck in the mud. The ORV operator went for help after seeing that he couldn’t pull the jeep out with his ORV. CO Panich then followed the ORV to where the jeep was stuck. Upon arriving on scene, CO Panich observed a jeep with only the cab sticking out of the mud. Approximately an hour later and with two other jeeps with winches pulling, the operator of the stuck jeep was finally free. While speaking with CO Panich, the operator of the jeep stated, “I realize why this section of trail is closed now”. Enforcement action was taken
>>
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 236x147) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 236x147
CO John Busken has been busy lately meeting with local schools. CO Busken gave a presentation to over twenty sixth grade students. Topics covered included what a conservation officer does, how to prepare for a career in law enforcement and a tour of the officer’s patrol truck. CO Busken also spoke at a hunter’s safety class. Students and parents had questions pertaining to game laws, ORV regulations and motor vehicle laws.
CO Jon Busken was dispatched to a domestic complaint in progress to assist a Mackinac County Sheriff’s Deputy. Three individuals had injuries on scene. Despite conflicting accounts of what occurred, the officers’ investigation pointed to one suspect being the guilty party. The subject was lodged in the Mackinac County Jail.
COs Mike Hammill and Bobby Watson patrolled a local walleye lake this past weekend and noticed the fishing was picking up. Upon contacting one angler, CO Watson observed one walleye that was perhaps a bit undersized. The angler measured the walleye in front of CO Watson hitting the 15” mark on the head. CO Watson explained the proper way to measure a walleye and gave the angler a quick demonstration. The walleye’s true measurement was 14.5”, a verbal warning and a handshake ended the contact with the angler.
>>
File: image.png (250 KB, 970x970) Image search: [Google]
image.png
250 KB, 970x970
CO Brett DeLonge was patrolling on an ORV trail in northern Menominee when a truck passed him on the trail. CO DeLonge observed the driver not wearing a seatbelt and signaled for the driver to stop. The driver ignored CO DeLonge’s signal and continued driving on the trail. As CO DeLonge turned around to stop the vehicle he observed the driver of the truck throw an open can of beer out the truck window. When CO DeLonge was able to stop the truck and contact the driver he found the driver appeared to be intoxicated and smelled highly of alcohol. When the driver was asked why he didn’t stop he explained that he was startled to see a conservation officer on the ORV trail and was scared of being stopped. After CO DeLonge inquired about the beer can that was thrown from the truck the driver explained that he was having a rough day and that he figured there would be less traffic on the ORV trail versus the highway so he could have a drink on his way home. Enforcement action was taken.
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 600x429
While on patrol in the Pigeon River Country state forest, Sgt. Greg Drogowski responded to a complaint from two backpackers that two bears would not leave the area adjacent to their tent, even after yelling at them. They reported the bears were not aggressive, but were pacing back and forth, not leaving. While the backpackers were on their cell phone with 911 dispatch, Sgt. Drogowski was able to determine their location and instructed them to walk out to the road to his location, approximately one mile. The backpackers were concerned the bears were now in front of them on the hiking trail, and it was now after dark. After blowing the siren and encouraging them to continue, the hikers made it to the road and were transported back to their vehicle. They opted to stay in a motel for the night.
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 236x314) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 236x314
See more here
Ask questions
I'll check back tonight
>>
It's a great job. You get to drive around in tricked out vehicles in the great outdoors with guns and harrass citizens. You get 6 weeks off a year, only have to work about 2 hours a day, get a decent salary and great benefits. I love it. Plus you never have to buy guns, drugs, alcohol or outdoors equipment, you just confiscate whatever you need from from the people you come across doing something you don't approve of. Plus unlike regular cops you never deal with blacks since they are scared of nature
>>
>>641180
I'd do all that.
>>
>>641180
Why can't we label criminals as criminals? What is this PC retardspeak?
>>
>>641197
That's not even close to what we do.
>>
You need law enforcement experience to get the job, much more so than biology/wildlife experience which is weird to me. That's about all I know
>>
>>641215
Well then you are not a conservation officer but a college student wannabe who probably believes in global warming and all that other nonsense you city boys are indoctrinated with.

>im saving the world while ripping thru the forest in my 4X4 F-250
>>
>>641228
I'm not even going to bite, buddy.
>>
These comments

But really, don't be a CO or BLM type faggot or park ranger. They are all hated by the citizens in the communities they opperate in. Unless you have the need to abuse people cuz then you will have a great time
>>
>>641197
This is pretty accurate desu
>>
when I go out inna woods I like to mind my own fucking business and if I see anyone I hope they mind their own business.
Being a CO is a pure violation of this.
we have too much government as it is.
>>
>>641231
>Da gubament is tryin to take our freedumbs
>>
>>641238

COs are an integral part of keeping the woods clean and full of game anon.

Poachers and dumpers should get fucked and I don't feel bad for them at all. Similarly, COs are the only people trained to resolve human/wildlife conflicts, often avoiding destruction of said wildlife. All the COs that I've met have been good guys.
>>
>>641257
But imagine if they weren't.
Nothing is 100% especially the whims of law enforcement.
>>
>>641197
>Plus you never have to buy guns, drugs, alcohol or outdoors equipment, you just confiscate whatever you need from from the people you come across doing something you don't approve of.

Never took gear but my department would save up all the confiscated alcohol and fireworks each year and have a party.
>>
>>641155
Next to impossible to get in tho.
>>
AM I BEING DETAINED
AM I BEING DETAINED
AM I BEING DETAINED
>>
>>643275

am I being detained
>>
>>643277
Am I being detained ?
>>
i've heard volunteering at national parks is rather common
>>
>>641144
I work for the Florida Wildlife Conservation commission or FWC or assholes as some people call us. Overall rewarding job, great hours and benefits. Pay? It depends on how long you plan on sticking around. Its a pretty /out/ Job. I really enjoy working in tandem with the local sheriff's dept and the coast guard. Any other questions ill be happy to answer.
>>
>>643293
Yes you are. Now shut the fuck up.
You also have the right to remain silent.
>>
>>643372
WHY AM I BEING DETAINED
>>
>>643424
Ohio law fag so different states are different, but in Ohio and most other states The police do not have to tell you that you are a suspect or that they intend to arrest you.

You have the right, if you are stopped, to refuse to answer any questions for any reason or no reason. You can invoke your right to silence by saying, "I refuse to answer any questions" or "I want to speak to a lawyer" or "I wish to remain silent." If you do not clearly invoke your right to silence with such a statement, you may subject yourself to continued questioning by police.

There is one exception to your right to silence: According to Ohio law since April 2006, if you are in a public place and under certain circumstances, you must give your name, address and date of birth to an officer. If you fail to provide this information under such circumstances, you will be committing a fourth-degree misdemeanor and may be arrested
>>
>>641144
Fuck the game wardens, it's way more fun to be a poacher. The pay is shit but I do it for the principle.
>>
>>641185
>the operator of the jeep stated, “I realize why this section of trail is closed now”.
Jeep owners in a nutshell.
>>
>>643369
what kind of schooling did you go through?
>>
>>643530
I was already a sworn officer when I applied so it was easier. I also had a a few degrees in some of the fields I was interested in. Once I was accepted I went to the FWC agency specific training center for about 8 weeks. Honestly some days sucked, but had a blast. After that I as assigned to a 15/16 week FTO "probationary period". Once that was done I was assigned to a a sectional station in FL to carry out my daily shit. I have had a few transfers since then.
>>
>>643644
What were the fitness requirements like? Do they go off of fitness tests or height and weight ratios? I'm 6'1 and 230 pounds so idk if they would even consider me before I lost weight.
>>
Kinda wish we had these kinds of people in Australia, we have Park Rangers but in some states they are virtually non-existent or only hassle you about paying the fee to camp the night. Live hundreds of km's from the nearest city yet every public holiday or long weekend they come here in droves and we always see shit like
>spray painted trees
>cheap broken camping gear they bought just before coming down just being discarded in the bushes
>people not bothering to douse their fires before leaving
>smashed beer bottles and rubbish left in fireplaces
>bundles of shitty toilet paper barely concealed in bushes despite numerous pit toilets around the park
>numerous green trees stripped of branches because lazy fucks don't want to walk another 500m and get abundant dead wood on the ground
>undersized and sometimes protected species of fish left to rot on the bank because people aren't aware of the species and regulations here
>fucktards with 4WD's going into the park just after it rains and completely destroying the main access tracks
>annoying dirtbike fags knocking down/going around barriers and tearing up regrowth areas
>people setting fire to dead trees
>blasting music at 3am

I fucking hate city cunts with a passion, I for one would welcome Nazi-tier rangers, even if only for said holidays and weekends.
>>
> cops on 4chan

Seriously not cool guys. This is no place for you to gather.
>>
>>641144
Just be yourself OP
>>
>>643686
From what I can remember the fitness requirements was really not a big deal. I mean sure you had to be healthy but not ripped or anything. I had always been active, even before I was a LEO. There was a swim test. Unless you have lead legs it shouldn't be an issue. I think it was 300 yards that is timed. We were told 12 minutes or less is a pass. It it took You twelve minutes to swim that far you would most likely be doing the doggy paddle. I finished with 7 minutes to spare, and I'm a terrible swimmer. For your height and weight you don't sound too far off. I would loose all that water weight, then gain some useful muscles. If you are a little over average weight they wont give you a hard time for it, especially if you are on the healthy side. The final "fitness" test is complicated. It requires you to use strength, speed, decisive action, and memory. Its kind of like a obstacle course. I just can't remember all the things you had to do. If you want to know more ill brainstorm with my partner about that.
>>
>>643686
In the state of Indiana Conservation officers have to do the same police academy as all other police. They just spend extra time on identifying ducks and stuff.
Here is the physical standards.
http://www.in.gov/ilea/2338.htm
>>
>>643871
Alright cool very insightful thank you :) I'm in University taking the Resource Management Officer Technician course right now but I keep on having second thoughts but now I kinda like where this is going. What were the hours like?
>>
File: Voltaire-ruler-test.jpg (48 KB, 573x432) Image search: [Google]
Voltaire-ruler-test.jpg
48 KB, 573x432
>>641202

>What is this PC(sic) retardspeak?

Some people use "P.C." retard-speak as a language tool to both not offend other parties and not appear intolerant or ignorant.

>Why can't we label criminals as criminals?

Fear or other people's negative opinions of them or fear of physical or legal /illegal retribution by the offended party, and because sometimes the criminals wear badges and hold public office.

Personally, I don't give a fuck what other people think, I am what I am and their opinion of me isn't going to change who I am, how I act, or what I say and do.
>>
File: pig.jpg (153 KB, 501x679) Image search: [Google]
pig.jpg
153 KB, 501x679
This thread stinks like raw bacon.
Is there no rule about cop threads?
This is unacceptable to me but I am unable to report this inappropriate content.
My days on 4chan may be numbered, the culture here is going to shit.
>>
File: image007.jpg (25 KB, 525x394) Image search: [Google]
image007.jpg
25 KB, 525x394
>>643960

Yeah, but these are /out/ cops we're talking about, the job apart from the "revenue generation" parts of it appeals to someone wants to be outdoors helping people and nature. It sounds like scouting for grown-ups and that seems pretty damned cool.
>>
>>643986
>>643986
People drawn to law enforcement are horrible.
>>
>>643989
So are edgy anti-cop 14 year olds
>>
>>641188
Menominee michigan or wisconsin?
>>
>>643989
Park Rangers and Conservation Officers can be pretty bro-tier. I've generally met pretty awesome ones.
>>
>>641180
Fuck yeah sounds amazing. All the good parts of being a police officer and being /out/
>>
>>641185
>>641187
>>641188
>>641192
Where are these from?
>>
>>641258
So you'd rather people break all conservation laws and destroy the outdoors for their gain? Because laws only work if they are enforced
>>
>>644082
no
>>
>>644124
This country has far too many laws and yes it irks me when they are enforced.
>>
>>644164
>You are trying to create a fictitious, fraudulent action! I am the living man, protected by natural law!
>>
>>644176
I am right behind this man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06VzxxDTnB8
>>
>>644073
Michigan
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 634x412) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 634x412
>>644123
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-42199_50569---,00.html
And more here
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-42199---,00.html

Blue lives matter
>>
>>643720
Agreed my brother.

In northern queensland, the 4 x 4 fuckwits tear up the protected beaches and dunes, full of native wildlife, particularly endangered turtle species, destroying their eggs.

I have dug a few 2 m deep pits in restircted areas were 4 x 4s have cut tracks through, so fall into 2 meter deep pits. Never knew if it worked though...
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 460x649) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 460x649
>>641197
>>641238
>>641258
>>643275
>>643513
>>643723
>>643960
>>643989
>>644176
>>644186
You guys don't need to worry. When you need a cop, I will be there to help you.
>>I might help you get your car unstuck fir the snow or mud.
>>I might give CPR to your dying father
>>I might tie a tourniquet on your severed leg after a motorcycle accident
>>I might pull you from a burning house
>>I might inject you with narcan as you overdose on heroin
>>I might arrest the nasty fuck who is raping your daughter
>>I might find your five year old who got lost in the woods.
>>I might arrest the drunk just before he was going to crash his car into your family.
The reason I mention these is because I have done all of those things.
And when I went to helped those people, I never asked them if they were cop haters. But when I was done, they were all thankful I was there to help them.
>>
>>644331
T-thank you for your service :3
>>
File: 1449612037197.png (26 KB, 273x200) Image search: [Google]
1449612037197.png
26 KB, 273x200
>>644331
I have done almost half the things on your list for zero pay as a search and rescue volunteer, get off your high horse.
You neglect to mention all the shitty things you do every day like collect revenue by handing out tickets for people breaking laws that should not exist.
Ever pull highway duty?
Ever been forced to pull over truck drivers and give them tickets that cost thousands and fuck with their ability to make a living?
Ever poke your snout in places that was none of your goddamn business ?
Ever shine your flashlight in someones car to see what they were carrying ?
Ever enforced laws against victimless crimes?
Ever ruin some kids future by hauling him off to jail for having some pot in his possession?
Ever been the straw that broke the camels back and turned someones bad day into the end of their happiness.

You know what? All in all I think I would take my chances without you given the choice.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 660x371
>>644343
Don't worry, I will still help you
When you call, I will come,
I might even change the tire on your wife's car
>>
>>644346
>I might even change the tire on your wife's car

That is not what I need. I need more freedom from petty tyranny.
What will you do to help with that?

You know what caused me to hate cops ?
Being friends with cops.
Watching you guys admit that you get off on pulling people over and asserting dominance over them.
Being in on your shitty jokes at the expense of honest citizens.
Most of you are probably ok people when your start, but your culture is corrosive.
>>
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 700x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 700x500
>>644357
I know what you mean
This conservation officer is asserting his dominance over this child while teaching archery?
You ever notice how the media only reports when cops do something wrong?
When was the last time you saw a story that reflected law enforcement in a positive light?
The media needs sensationalism not reality.
It's good to be /out
>>
>>644383
That is your third attempt at showing some sweetie sweet shit instead of addressing the shitty side of your job.
What are you going to trot out next?
A cop rescuing a kitten?
None of that shit adds up to anything when you also get off on being a dick sometimes.
>>
>>644331
You have misread my "fuck the game wardens" comment, it appears you read "fuck the police" which after reviewing my post I am 100% sure I did not say. My issue with law enforcement is confined solely to those who tell my that I can harvest 7 deer during the season but on which days I can use a bow or a rifle. 7 deer is 7 deer. Do you think the deer care how they die.? Or that I must wear blaze orange on my own property behind a locked gate. And should you catch me with my blaze orange hat not on my head for any reason I'll need to get my check book out. Or that the state is over run with feral pigs but I can't shoot them at night because the only reason I'm out with a gun at night is to poach deer. What is this precrime? Or that the state uses my fucking tax dollars to fly around in a helicopter to shoot pigs on private property that they did not ask permission to be on, then leave the pigs in the field for the landowner to deal with. But guess what, I can't shoot pigs out a helicopter even on my own land.

FUCK THE GAME WARDENS AND THE GOD DAMN DNR!!
>>
>>644163
I'm sorry you got caught doing shit you weren't supposed to be doing, got a fine, and are now butthurt about it. Doesn't mean CO's and park rangers are assholes.
>>
>>644330
>I have dug a few 2 m deep pits in restircted areas were 4 x 4s have cut tracks through

Doing gods work.
>>
>>644386
He has a point
When was the last time the media had a positive story about cops?
>>
>>644357
Law enforcement is stressful and humans have developed mechanisms to deal with stress. Your friends were dealing with stress, too bad you were not more supportive.

>>Gallows humor is humor about very unpleasant, serious, or painful circumstances. Any humor that treats serious matters, such as death, war, disease, and crime, in a light, silly or satirical fashion is considered gallows humor.[1][2] Gallows humor has been described as a witticism in response to a hopeless situation.[3] It arises from stressful, traumatic, or life-threatening situations, often in circumstances such that death is perceived as impending and unavoidable.
>>
>>644534
I'm not the other guy but you're wrong. Every game warden I had the pleasure of interacting with was a pompous, arrogant dick. GWs in my estimation go into their line of work so they can be in charge of you. Like most cops they are the high school bullies or were the bullied and now, later in life this career path is the easiest with which to continue to be dicks to us regular people. As evidence of this a game warden in my state quit the wildlife department and became a Highway patrol and within three months was raping women in the back of his trooper car. I guess he couldn't rape armed hunters.
>>
>>644572
I know all about gallows humor from search and rescue. Pulling a burnt up body from a wrecked airplane will trigger it for sure.
This is not the same.
This is about treating the people you pull over like cu'cks and then laughing about over beers later.
They love being the authority figure. And they love being shitty about it.
>>
>>644602
I met a cop and he was bad therefore all cops are bad
In any group, could be dentists, could be carpenters, could be truck drivers....
But in any group there will always be a few shit birds. Doesn't mean all are bad.
Also stop committing crimes and the cops won't bother you.
>>
>>644626
I have many many cops and they have all been sub par humans.
And no I should not have to conform to every single shitty law brought about by some bullshit ideas about right and wrong.
We need to get rid of 90 percent of the laws in america.
>>
>>644626
I'm the guy you responded to. Wrong again. I did three internships in college at the dnr. Every person in law enforcement was and is a dick. Period. No question. They are all out to get you, they all assume you are guilty of something and it's their mission to figure out what it is. You need to stop sucking your local game wardens dick and realize they are oppressors of the free man. For fucks sake you can't harvest a deer in August if you or your family needed it to survive. This isn't about over harvesting or wanton waste it's about being free to live your life in a way that doesn't negatively affect others, victimless crimes buddy. I'll continue to do as I please, especially on my own property. Oh but therein lies the heart of your angst, you're poor and don't own land so you wouldn't know the feelings of those of us who pay property taxes and still get shit on by the state.
>>
I'm wanting to be one once I finish my BS while working on my MS. I'm majoring in Biology with a focus on conservation and ecology, dual minoring in Chemistry and marine biology. Also getting an associates in Security because I can.
>>
>>644282
Bahaha, that sounds about right (for either menominee) but im glad its from the menom i know.
>>
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
>>
I graduated high school last year and I'm thinking of becoming a CO. I love nature, teaching younger kids (and my buddies) about hunting, and being out in the woods.
>>
File: 20140925_165417-1.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
20140925_165417-1.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
>>641144
I'm a Game Warden on a ZEC in northern Québec.
AMA.

Pic related, my coworker unclogging a culvert from a beaver dam un september 2014.
>>
>>646695
you friend looks like a candy assgot
>>
>>646699
>candy ass
Back to /b/ with your shit kiddo.
>>
Do you guys get paid to go do whatever when you explore say a national park? Or are you strictly on call, and unable to leave the trails?

Because I'd totally become a co or or w.e if I got paid to actually go /out/
>>
File: 3.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>646703
I assume in the States or western Canada the provincial or state wardens usually patrol in the actual bush during fishing, hunting and trapping season, but in Québec, since the government won't invest in the wildlife protection, the provincial game wardens usually stay at the office and go out on calls. Calls about either poaching, suspicious activity or dangerous animals roaming around, like bears.
>>
>>641185
>>641187
>>641188
>>641192
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZjwoYPNFE
>>
>>646704
Thanks for the input, any anons from western Canada who can confirm? Also are you forced to move or can you pick where your stationed?
>>
File: yes.gif (2 MB, 250x181) Image search: [Google]
yes.gif
2 MB, 250x181
>>644330
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.