[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you guys take hardtack backpacking or camping? Its
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
File: Simple-Hardtack-Recipe.gif (202 KB, 680x459) Image search: [Google]
Simple-Hardtack-Recipe.gif
202 KB, 680x459
Do any of you guys take hardtack backpacking or camping? Its actually not bad if it soaks in milk or water for a few minutes
>>
File: 1439362664680.jpg (38 KB, 500x628) Image search: [Google]
1439362664680.jpg
38 KB, 500x628
>>641006
fucking disgusting
>>
>>641014
lasts forever, easy to make, portable, nutritious, a good snack while you're hiking before a meal,

don't be jealous anon

plus you can put some cool designs on em
>>
File: hijab-slap-e1448764366577.jpg (29 KB, 275x373) Image search: [Google]
hijab-slap-e1448764366577.jpg
29 KB, 275x373
>>641016
>nutritious
>good snack
"hardtack is a hard cracker made from flour, salt, and water."
>nutritious
>good snack
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (99 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
99 KB, 1280x720
>>641018
it's full of calories. you can make it with whole wheat flour so it's full of diet'ry fibre. you can survive on it but it's terrible, unless you cook chunks of it into an otherwise d'licious skillet meal (like one would do with cubes of tofu)
>>
>>641019
>it's full of calories.
So are Doritos but I wouldn't call them nutritious.
>>
>>641019
>>641023
manlier men than us have survived on these o'er the centuries anon
>>
>>641023
can't make Doritos with your own bare hands and they won't last forever though huh anon
>>
>>641019
looks delicious if you added some pine nuts
>>
>>641019
Nice lembas, Legolas.
>>
>>641029
>can't make Doritos with your own bare hands
>http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Doritos/
#rekt
>>
>>641006
THAT'S PRETTY OKAY
BUT YOU KNOW WHAT GIVES ME A HARD TACK
SAUSAGE

OKAY
ALRIGHT
LET ME LAY IT DOWN FOR YOU

YOU TAKE YOUR PISS DOUGH
AND YOUR SAUSAGE
AND YOU ROLL THAT SHIT TOGETHER
AND YOU 320 BAKE IT

YOU'VE NOW GOT LARD TACK
IT'S DELICIOUS
IT'S NUTRITIOUS
IT PLEASES OLD MEN FOR MONEY
>>
>>641057
But due survival food whose biggest advantage is that it lasts forever? Better shit post about my homemade Doritos and my homemade mountain dew and my homemade fucking fedora
>>
It's too bulky. The size to calorie ratio is so ridiculous that if you try to bring enough for a day and night you'll find half your pack space taken up. You can do some stuff to add a lot of protein and calories at the expense of shelf life but even still it's no good for carrying.
>>
What kind of retards make these threads? I can only assume it's some 16 yearold who is thinking about running away from home because his dad took away his Xbox.
>>
>>641166
dude it's solid flour. have you even ever hard tacked? one tile of that shit has as much flour in it as a loaf of bread. it's not well-rounded nutrition, but you're looking at like 800 calories per tile, and depending on your choice of flour and additives (whole grains, nuts, etc) you can fare acceptibly well with protein and diet'ry fibre as well. the problem with it is it's heavy and unpalatable, so you need a lot of water to make it edible and you need other foodstuffs for proper nutrition.

hard tack isn't for enjoying, it's for surviving.
>>
>>641213

Fat, idiot. You need fat.
>>
>>641420
well I'll make sure to bring ya mum with me then >:D
>>
>>641019
>so it's full of diet'ry fibre

I've heard that the reason fast food usually lacks fibre is that fibre means shit won't last as long.
>>
>>641433
well if you use whole wheat flour for example. but yes, anything fatty (nuts and seeds) will go rancid. i'm not a baker or food expert but i imagine there's only so much whole grains you can have without risking fatrot
>>
>>641207
useless post
>>
>>641006
Could you add quinoa or flax?
>>
>>641423
Kek
>>
I love hardtack. It's all I take when I go innawoods. Great taste and cheap
>>
>>641497
I used to take it on camping trips but its so great that I eat it all the time at home now. It's definitely the food of the future because no one needs meat or vegetables which are very destructive of the environment
>>
>>641207
What kind of retards make these posts? I can only assume it's some 16 yearold who etc etc
>>
>>641019
>cook chunks of it into an otherwise d'licious skillet meal
>chunks of it
dude you use it as a thickening agent
>>
>>641650

So you ruin a perfectly good meal by adding shit to it? I don't get it
>>
>>641006
Explain what sort of situation one could encounter where it made sense to have milk, but also hardtack, a food with the sole redeeming quality of resisting spoilage very well.

I suppose if SHTF and one was alone with a sack of flour, a sack of salt, and a diary cow. But I don't want to act out that scenario every time I go hiking. This is why I bring actual food rather than something pre settlement trappers ate because they had no other choice.
>>
File: meals.jpg (301 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
meals.jpg
301 KB, 1200x1600
>>641723
>>
>>641723
whatisastew.jpg
>>
why's this thread acting like OP just said hard tack is god's gift to /out/ and prepper's ultimate SHTF defense

basically just asked if anyone likes to eat trail crackers.

if youre just camping for a few days hardtack can work instead of loaf bread. makes a neat trail snack and food addative. bring actual food tho too, its just a salted cracker after all.

if you needed to survive in a SHTF scenario theres other stuff thats probably more useful like calorie mates etc. but for just going out camping, hard tack sure as hell works just like it did 300 years ago
>>
>>641727
well you would make the hard tack in advanced and use it when you get around to it and then get fresh milk the day of the trip.

also for a guy like me who is lactose intolerant I get milk that is stable at room temperature and you can just store it in your pantry.
>>
>>641740

>>641745

Are crackers the same as hardtack because I love wheat thins and would rather just buy them instead of saving $1. I guess I can just eat wheat thins for a week but I might splurge and get some Ritz too unless you think hardtack is a better brand
>>
>>641781
>Are crackers the same as hardtack
NO!! Hard tack is solid and will chip a tooth. You're supposed to soak it in something.
>>
... Or crisp bread, which is a staple in Scandinavia. It was part of the soldiers' food rations since before the Caroleans marched through all of Northern Europe. Even used on ships along with dried fish and meats.

Lasts forever and doesn't need any soaking...
>>
What about Soylent?
>>
>>641644
>no one needs meat or vegetables
>>
File: 1446706644869.jpg (60 KB, 509x720) Image search: [Google]
1446706644869.jpg
60 KB, 509x720
>>641166
>>
>>641740
Because he rambled on about it being nutritious, and a good snack, and full of calories.

All of this is bullshit of course. It has very little in the way of nutrition and there are loads of better options for calorie density either by volume or weight.

Of course it 'still works'. Humans can still digest flour and it doesn't rot if reasonably salted. The question is whether it offers any advantage over a wide variety of other foods for a guy who is going to spend a week or so on the trail.

The answer is no. Make and eat the stuff for fun if you want to play pretend civil war reenactor, but don't ask others to take it seriously. Even on cost alone tortillas are probably ahead on calories/$, taste better, and last plenty long for anyone who isn't a hobo.
>>
>>641836
What you said is 100% correct.
>>
>>641836
>The question is whether it offers any advantage over a wide variety of other foods for a guy who is going to spend a week or so on the trail.

lol that's a question that you just made up yourself mate. The OP was just asking if people liked hard tack and what they thought of eating in the field.
>>
Wow guys chill a bit. It's not like OP lives on these day to day.

Yes, I take them and they are great. Compact both volume- and calorie-wise, dry, last forever, taste OK, cheap. Additionally I take some sunflower seed for fat and protein, and then some raisins or other dried fruits so I don't want to kill myself after 4 days and some jerky for every other day.

If you're going for >3 weeks you might want to pack some vitamin pills.
>>
>>641843
what you said was 50% correct
>>
>>641836
Sorry but OP is right. I have thru hiked the PCT and AT several times and most thru hikers that complete the trails subsist mainly on hardtack. It's the only way to get the proper nutrition at an affordable price and you can avoid needing bear bags as well
>>
Isn't hardtack bad for your teeth? I heard stories about people breaking teeth on them.
>>
>>641973
its so hard you could defend yourself from an attacker with it.
>>
>>641986
Can I bake it into an axe shape? What about a hardtack mora?
>>
>>641973
>Some men also turned hardtack into a mush by breaking it up with blows from their rifle butts, then adding water.
>>
>>641904
oh putting raisins or fruit in them sounds lovely. tack goes alright with morning coffee if youre stationary camping, that would make it basically a full blown tea and crumpets party.
>>
>>641973
The only people who break their teeth eating hardtack are people who don't eat enough of it. Basically quitters. That's why if you break one tooth don't stop. The calcium in your tooth gets mixed into the hardtack and reabsorbed so your remaining teeeth will be that much stronger.
>>
>>642061
Fuck the weak teeth!
>>
>>641028
Yeah, our species' poor nutrition over the centuries has nothing to do with our modern health problems, of course not.
>>
One I get time, I'll drop my recipe for Pemm-tack.

I'm sure you can already guess what it is.
>>
>>641016
>nutritious
Do people actually think this?
>>
>>641049
Kek
>>
>>642625
well it depends on your needs but yes it is nutritious. It is mostly carbs, has a little protein, and very little sugar or fats. Has fiber, potassium, and sodium. Has Vitamin B-6 Vitamin E Calcium Copper Folate Iron Magnesium Manganese Niacin Pantothenic Acid Phosphorus Riboflavin Selenium Thiamin Zinc

And you can switch it up based on what type of flour you use.
>>
>>641006
Sailors biscuits the ones that were supposed to have maggots in right?
>>
File: 1395950254000.gif (491 KB, 500x290) Image search: [Google]
1395950254000.gif
491 KB, 500x290
>>641006
It's totally worthwhile to bring along! Bring lots incase someone/something attacks you, then you can fucking lob bricks of hardtack at your foe and cripple them!

:^)
>>
>>642678
>maggots

Weevils my friend...weevils.
>>
>>643733
Remember: Always choose the lesser of two weevils.
>>
>>642603
>tfw can't think of any witty puns for this
>>
File: 1438914641147.jpg (44 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
1438914641147.jpg
44 KB, 550x367
So hardtack needs to be cooked for a long time, then recooked, to get the water out of it so it doesn't spoil for a long time. Right? Can you make it in a dehydrator?
>>
>>643967
Just skip that part as its really not needed.

I just bring a ten pound bag of flour wherever I go as it has all the benefits of hardtack but is much easier to chew.
>>
>>644159
Me too. After the hardtack wore down or broke off my teeth I just switched to straight flour. Unbleached is best because it has essential nutrients and micro minerals
>>
>>644269
Yeah but if you use bleached flour it can also be used to treat water
>>
>>641049
lel
>>641072
Why did you post?
>>641207
What 16yo cawadooty even knows about of hard tack?
The most likely candidate for an edgy runaway is monster energy drink, slim jims and shitty weed.
>>
>>641950
This sounds dubious at best.
>>641811
Green or the non people stuff :^)

I think the history of hard tack is pretty neat. Anyone have some cool historical tidbits to share?
>>
>>641990
lol
I'm stealing this if the opportunity arises to post it.
>>642061
That explains why men were so tough back then. They weren't pussies.

All jokes aside, these were never intended to be eaten as is, right?
>>642678
It's for protein.
>>643799
Faggot
>>>/reddit/
>>
File: fry_suspicious.jpg (181 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
fry_suspicious.jpg
181 KB, 1680x1050
>>641950
>>
>eating dwarf bread when you could have lembas.
You make me sick.
>>
I know it's probably not entirely accurate but I always get the same mental image of you guys as I do when /k/ talks about MREs. A bunch of fat fucks craming thwir faces with this shit while sitting in front of their computers.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.