[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Solo Camping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 24
File: campsite2C.jpg (53 KB, 540x405) Image search: [Google]
campsite2C.jpg
53 KB, 540x405
I am an 18 year old female, want to start some wilderness/semi-wilderness solo camping trips next spring.
I know what I am doing but I fear sleeping alone at night out there. Tips to get over it? What are your experiences solo camping?
>>
>Find someone to take with you?
>Get used to it by sleeping close to your home ie: 100ft away?
>invite me?
>>
Only way to get over the fear is to go do it. What part scares you?

Never had a bad experience solo.
>>
Tell someone where you're going and when you'll expect to be back. Read up on stealth camping. Even when legitimately camping, I always use stealth and leave no trace principles if only to minimise my own impact, let alone attract unwanted attention from other humans.
>>
Just camp out at a more populated camp grounds until you are comfortable. It's a good safe way to test out gear as well, don't need to go to remote locations until your ready.
>>
>>639813
Honestly, I know the fear is unjustified. I know animals will not harm me, I don't believe there would be a human close enough to bother me, maybe supernatural stuff?
I definitely feel I am at a disadvantage being human in the wilderness.
>>
>>639817
That's part of the fun though, that unsettling feeling of being alone in nature, not knowing for sure what is out there in the dark. I love it.

Just embrace the wariness and observe how it affects you, while knowing full well you're perfectly safe.
>>
>>639817
Oh there is nothing out there to be afraid of. Just keep telling yourself those screams are from a female fox.

:^)
>>
>>639817
>I definitely feel I am at a disadvantage being human in the wilderness.
Literally every animal out there would disagree. The only equal you have in the forest is a bear, which will try to avoid you but might come by to check out your food supplies. Other than that everything out there is scared of you.
>>
>>639810
>>639827

You, as a human being, are the most dangerous thing out there. Just remember that.

Bears have no interest in you, only your food. I'd recommend getting a bear canister and putting it away from your tent at night. Simple as that, a bear will have no reason to attack you. If a bear attacks you, it just is because it is. A tree could also fall on your at night. Yeah, you can spend 15 minutes checking the trees around you but it could still happen. It's pointless worrying about. It's a completely unreasonable fear to be worried sleeping alone at night innawoods. But I understand that, I have unreasonable fears of my own. Mainly extreme heights. Hopefully you're strong enough to face your fear and put it behind you.
>>
File: Robert Hansen.jpg (95 KB, 600x407) Image search: [Google]
Robert Hansen.jpg
95 KB, 600x407
>>639810
The wilderness is no place for a young lady to be out and about all on her own.
>>
>>639810
After the first night you're fine.

By the 3rd night, you'll happily walk around a dark forest.

You level up over time.
We're a part of nature, we've just forgotten.
>>
I'm more afraid of skinwalkers than anything else.

Seriously. I know they aren't real, but damn if dark woods aren't spooky. Something about being alone is a little unsettling. Funny thing is, if I have one other person with me, that fear is completely gone.
>>
>>639827

Bear, cougars, wolves, moose....all those can easily kill you. All of those have killed ppl. Yeah, yeah, chances of them killing you is low, still can happen.

>>639810
Op, just go out there and camp....yeah its gonna suck, don't be a pussy and just do it. Afterwards you'll be able to do it with no problems.

Oh, do stuff to make yourself tired, so by the end of the day you'll just pass out.
>>
>>639884

Pretty much this. /thread
>>
Tell us where you're thinking of camping, I'll be sure to come and check on you at night to make sure everything's OK. ;^)
>>
>>639810
Down in Texas there was a guy who attacked acamper rerecently, I think it might have been more than one actually, you definitely won't be super safe alone
>>
>>639810
>female
>solo camp

Kek, who are you going to get to carry all your stuff?
>>
>>639845
>you
>as a human being

Humans are only more dangerous when armed with tools

Women have a higher risk of being attacked by animals but especially bears
>>
>>639947
It was quite a few people and on someone's property.
>>
File: friendly street person.jpg (35 KB, 355x355) Image search: [Google]
friendly street person.jpg
35 KB, 355x355
Where about you camping girl?
>>
>>639882
>I'm more afraid of skinwalkers than anything else.

I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>639810
>I'm a grill

Show us a picture of your tits
>>
File: pepeamerican2.jpg (187 KB, 690x432) Image search: [Google]
pepeamerican2.jpg
187 KB, 690x432
>>639810

Are you in the US? Get a gun...any gun you can take will atleast give you peace of mind and you will sleep 1000x better at night.

If not in the US get bear spray.

And this is a trick of mine I have used to scare away wildlife that comes around my tent and scares the shit out of me:

Take a bag of firecrackers with.
I lit some m1000's and threw them out of my tent one night when I went camping on the 4th of July...it scared away the skinwalker that was circling my camp. From then on I take some firecrackers with me.
>>
>>640045
Finally someone saying something productive. Fuck all the white knights itt.
>>
File: Deadrisingwikia6.jpg (118 KB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
Deadrisingwikia6.jpg
118 KB, 576x324
You could be a tiny girl or Bruce Lee, but if some red necks roll up on a pick up packing heat, you're going to be squealing.

Literally the only realistic fear you should have is these guys.
>>
>>640046
That wasn't a skinwalker m8. that was your mom bringing you the marshmellows you left in the kitchen.
>>
File: pepefeel.jpg (37 KB, 454x453) Image search: [Google]
pepefeel.jpg
37 KB, 454x453
>>640049

My mom died 8 years ago mate
>>
>>640047
I don't see any white knights in this thread. All I see are people discussing OPs topic.

You must be a 13 year old edge lord. Fuck off this isn't /b/.
>>
>>639814
Stealth Camping is awesome. All I know about it is Dakota fire hole. Tracks and that's about it. I always pick up my rubbish too.

Is there anything I'm missing
>>
File: 851.gif (51 KB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
851.gif
51 KB, 165x115
>>640049
>>640053

2spooky4me
>>
>>640059

Don't use a dakota fire hole. You can actually start root fires. In fact don't light fires at all outside of survival situations, they sure are never stealth.
>>
>>639827
This is true. Everything else is afraid of humans, though if a bear wants to harm me, we are no equal unless I've got a firearm. Human's main offense/defense is a tool/weapon.
>>
>>639845
I think it's just doing it the first night, even if I do feel terrified haha. Just gotta do it. Thank you.
>>
>>639882
It's cause you're not dying alone haha
>>
>>639884
Good idea. I'll smoke a fat J
>>
>>639810
I don't want to scare you, OP, but you should check >>623398
>>
Embrace the fear. Part of being /out/ is your insignificant compared to nature. You can prepare for a lot and understand the dangers you face, but at the end of the day the world is a big place and you're quite small. It can be frightening but also humbling and awe-inspiring.
>>
File: 1448148319451.jpg (132 KB, 400x500) Image search: [Google]
1448148319451.jpg
132 KB, 400x500
>>640043
gets me everytime
>>
>>639947
Omg a guy attacked a camper? And you heard about it. Wow very interesting guess the woods aren't safe.

In other news, several hundred other guys attacked several hundred other people all over the country, none of them campers.

You're safer innawoods than outtawoods.
>>
>>639960
Actually statistically men are more likely to be attacked.

However mountain lions victims are nearly always women or children.
>>
>>639817
The real killer is boredom. Once you are past that, it is fine.
>>
>>639810
Buy a gun. And a knife. Sleep with both on you.

After all the creepy stories of bear mauls and rapists and murderers (they like the woods 'cause it's easier to get away with being a psycho there) I've heard, I always feel really exposed in tents and can't relax at all at night if I'm alone. But then again I'm paranoid enough when I'm half sedated to find it difficult to sleep next to bottom floor windows too.

I can relax if I'm armed (at least with a knife) and my tent is fairly hidden away. I usually bring a way too cold tent anyway for weight reasons, so if I cover it in branches like I learned in the army for heat, I'm virtually invisible.

>>640113
Per capita? I heard wolves almost exclusively attack women and children at least.
>>
2 Roman candles are nice to have.
>>
>>640149
In the last 100 years wolves have killed hardly any people in North America, almost all of them men.

Cougars on the other hand, almost always have killed women and kids. Only like 4 adult males in 100 years. 2/3 of all cougar kills have been on Vancouver island though.

Bears also statistcally attack men more often. Although this is skewed by the fact the men are much more common to be /out/.

Regardless. In the last 100 years in the usa, maybe a few dozen people have been killed by predators. Meanwhile, 30,000 people died in car accidents last year alone, and I'm sure you're not scared to drive.
>>
>>640200
One to hold in your hand, one to shove up your ass to fire flaming balls at whatever you're running from.
>>
>>639868
>>639925
>>639951
>>640034
>>640045
Cut this cringy shit out.
>>
>>640047
>white knights
I think you need to Google that.
>>
>>639810
it can be scary. first time I went solo I still parked next to my car but in a remote area. There were wolves within 50 yards howling all night. After that though it got easier. I did a hike in this summer on my own. Having bear spray is a good thing.

One of the things is if you hike you should try to travel as light as you can. having a closed tent is better than a tarp or something. Lying out exposed where I'm from can be dangerous and a guy got killed by a bear sleeping out near a fire this year. Just being not directly visible is a layer of protection. At the least it gives you a little more time to grab the bear spray.

The best thing is start out in more familiar areas to get used to the experience. Going solo leaves you open to danger though whether you are a man or a woman. From injuries to animals. You're more vulnerable. That's why it's better to start out with places you know already or that have low risks or more people that could pass by
>>
>female
>18
You gon get raepd.
But seriously, take someone you trust, or a gun.
Not being a dick, but if you have to go toe to toe with a male that wants to hit it, then you'll be overpowered most of the time.
>>
I did this last summer. It was my first year solo camping as a chick and It Freaking Rocked! I hadn't realized before just how draining group decisions are and how awesome it is to be accountable to no one. I could change plans on the fly, be accountable to no one, choose how deep I wanted to hike in and where to set camp. I essentially just spent the summer doing nothing in the woods, swimming in rivers and having a blast. Do it. It's the best. I totally need to do this again. It was the absolute best time I've ever had while Out just because I was accountable to no one and lived by my joy alone.
>>
File: 1448883624002.jpg (42 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1448883624002.jpg
42 KB, 604x604
The people ITT who are saying there's nothing to be afraid of, that she's the biggest scariest thing out there, are ignorant hippy faggots.

Humans are pigs and sheep, we're weak and die easily. The only reason we conquered the wild and other humans is through force. Without weapons you are as good as dead if a wolf, bear, or cougar does what predators do.
Either buy a gun, or make a gun. You'll only need 1 shot to fend off any animal. If a human attacks, you're already dead unless they want to rape your first.
You think people don't hike in popular places so that they can rape, rob, and kill? Humans are the most dangerous ambush predator that has ever existed. Camping without at least a bolt action or pipe gun is gambling that you're not going to get dicked and kicked.

Camp with a friend, tent 100 feet apart, and camo up.
>>
>>640391
None of this is sound advice.

OP you will be fine. You're slmore than 1000 times more likely to win more than $1 million in lottery winnings than to be killed by a predator.

Predators just don't view humans as food. It's monumentally rare for it to happen. It's so rare that it can be considered statistcally insignificant.
>>
>>640397
None of this is sound advice

OP will not be fine. Fake statistics are a hippy brainwash strategy.

Predators see everything as potential food. It's monumentally rare for it not to happen. It's so common that the few people who do hike every year, especially those who hike often, always carry self defense.

Seriously, fuck off back to wherever eurokeked country you came from. Here in America, we actually have wild animals that haven't been hunted to extinction yet.
>>
>>639810
You need to buy a gun, learn to use it and take it with you. Even then you'll never actually be safe, death is literally waiting around every corner. Get a gun, fire extinguisher, gps, life jacket etc etc. Don't let it stop you from living.
>>
>>640410
desu senpai you're dead no matter what if you need a fire extinguisher for a fire you didn't start. Fire travels at like 15 miles per hour once the blaze starts.
>>
>>640410
> beat me to it

Op, came back to this largely useless thread to remind you that EVERYBODY itt is DOOMED TO DIE!

So are you, sorry.

Went on a short hike after work today:

> Left my gun in my truck.
> Got dark before I got back.
> Lucky I brought a cheap Harbor Freight LED flashlight with.
> Used it on last leg.
> Saw a Great Horned Owl, heard two others.
> Didn't need gun, did need flashlight.
> Didn't die.
> Did live better than if I hadn't gone /out/!

YMMV.
>>
>>640399
Instead of discussing anecdotes, your opposition is stating facts.

There are predators that eat humans, you dense motherfucker. They eat people, and the do it because they are made to do it. Their life is centered around eating things that they jump on, claw their face off, and rip their throats, and that's just wild animals, not humans.

Just because you're too lazy to remember something simple like carrying your gun when in hostile environments, doesn't mean others should be so negligent of their own safety.

I hope you get anally annihilated and then cut up, and posted on liveleak; then other hippy faggots will realize that the wild isn't some twilight saga adventure time. When you leave human society, you're a part of the food chain.
>>
>>639810
>I'm a girl look at me

Post tits
>>
>>
>>639810
>>640366
As unfortunate as this is, its probably the biggest legitimate fear you should have.

Bear spray>gun>knife. I know a lot of people will say the gun is better to have, but if you have even the slightest bit of compassion, it's a lot easier to pull the trigger on bear spray than a gun.
>>
>>640437
>compassion
>2012

Besides, you can ignore mace a lot more easily than bullet wounds.
>>
>>640441
I take it you have ample experience with both being maced and shot?

Take his advice, OP. Rapists know what rapists don't like.
>>
>>640079

Or a fat D? ;^)
>>
>>640091

I was going to say similar. Just being away from *everything* out in the wilderness by yourself is incredible.

As for the animals mentioned...I've had bears sniff around the tent in the middle of the night - stifle your fear make a little "sleep" noise and they'll haul ass. If animals know you are not afraid or don't give a shit they will steer clear, almost always.

One of my most nerve wracking animal encounters was when I stupidly decided it would be cool to paddle over to an island to stay the night while I was in the middle of the Canadian wilderness (Ontario - Quetico). Goddamn hordes mice all over my tent for three hours after dark...
>>
My friend and I are coming up to Colorado next week. I have heard the snow pretty much limits our options of hikes, so I have come to /out/ for the experts opinion. We would like a trail that is kind of tucked away that not many people go on, and it must be beautiful/intriguing in some way. We are fairly experienced hikers, so anything moderate or easier is great, but preferably not a dangerous hike. The trailhead needs to be easily accessible by a honda accord (we dont mind walking a ways to get to the trail head) and the closer to Texas it is the better, but I am open for all suggestions. It also obviously has to be hike-able during this exact time of year. Thanks for your input ahead of time
TL;DR need a trail that is easy to access, secluded, beautiful, and preferably southeast colorado
>>
>>640491
Southeast Colorado is all pretty flat. I assume you mean something like the front ranges between Pueblo and Trinidad?

If so, you may want to look into San Isabel National Forest. I have no idea what the road conditions are like right now.
>>
>>639810
Just don't think about all the skinwalkers that could be stalking your camp as you sleep
>>
I'd be more worried about other people on the trail as a female by yourself, than anything else. Carry a gun.
>>
Very similar boat to OP, except im not a girl.

Never done anything more /out/ related than fuck around in the woods for a day and a night, or going hunting. Looking to try backpacking but I have no idea where to start.

It's just me and my dog, and I am from northern Indiana, so there is not much in the way of large expanses of wilderness for me to explore/backpack through here. I am thinking about heading up to michigan over spring break but really have no idea what I need to do so.

To summarize, I've never been /out/ more than 250 yards from my truck, what do?
>>
>>639817
>maybe supernatural stuff?

I wouldn't worry about it...
>>
>>640491
delete your thread in /an/

we've already said southeast colorado is terrible for hiking. it's flat, desert plains. sometimes you get shrubs. also

>fairly experienced hiker
>doesn't know how to google good trails
>doesn't know how snow works
>>
dont worry baby i'll protect you ;)

But really, Bring a gun.
>>
Gun.
>>
You can buy an OD green tent or some Spray paint to make your tent camouflage better , small thing that made me feel a little safer. Probably 4 cans will cover the entire side of a normal dome type tent.
>>
>>640580
oops i meant entire tent, not just a side.
>>
>>640418
Ladies and Gentlemen, Joe Teti is now on /out/.

Seriously man, chill out. Just because sometimes a predator attacks a human doesn't make it common. You're infinitely more likely to die falling off the toilet than by a bear.
>>
>>640399
I would argue the vast, vast majority of hikers do not carry any self defense.
>>
>>640593
> vast majority

Because we all know the VAST MAJORITY of people don't hike with a knife.
>>
>>639810
solo camping at night in a forest is creepy as hell and i'm a 260lbs 6"3 heavy built male.
you read all these stories about skinwalkers and whatnot that you laugh about them in your comfy warm room in front of your computer but when out alone in the woods miles from the nearest human being you just feel anything can be out there.
they way you get over it is you make fire and hope that whatever is out there doesn't like fires and keep a shovel or knife at hand all times even when sleeping.
i guess that is all.
>>
>>639821
hello anon, you seem to know what you are talking about.
i don't know about you but the thing that got me most is the loss of vision either from fire or from my hoodie. the fire pretty much blinds you to the surroundings. which is an awful feel. if you go out of your camp you can see everything clearly but inside only stuff that is lit up by the fire for a few feet. horrible.
the other thing when i got out it was cold and so i put on a hoodie when not sitting in front of the fire loss of hearing and peripheral vision really racked my nerves. so i kept turning around like a retard in the movies as i went.
how do you overcome this insecurity from sensory loss?
>>
>>640441
Thats false actually. Mace is painful as fuck, not to mention it temporarily blinds you, and most gunshots you don't even feel immediately due to shock
>>
>>640524
Get some camping shit and go /out/. Its really not that complicated, your not going to die in michigan or indiana even if you go out in the woods with nothing at all and no experience. Experience and the proper gear will make it more enjoyable though, you can't get experience wihout just doing it and you wont know exactly what you require for gear until you get out there

Think if what you plan to do /out/ and what you will need to do it. There are plenty of extensive gear lists out there, but make sure you dont buy something unless you know you'll have a use for it
>>
>>640620
You're just a pussy
>>
>>640621
Dont be a pussy.

Seriously though, thats the trick. Unless your camping in central park around homeless degenerates or in grizzly territory theres not much need to worry about predators, and in those cases you will probably hear them coming
>>
>>640625
it's just you are used to a certain capabilities to detect danger normally, i have no idea how much noise a bear for example makes when stalking a human if any. so all in all it just doesn't sit right with me. it's kinda like walking into a ghetto part of a big city blindfolded. most likely nothing will happen. there is nothing to worry about right? you won't feel safe anyways.
>>
>>640627
> capabilities

Impymlying you know what's REALLY going on!

Unless you're on the Reptoid Grand Council, you're pic related!
>>
>>639817
>maybe supernatural stuff
>>
>>640655
I've gotta say, you're consistant! Thx.

> 10/10 would hunt bigfoot with
>>
>>640622
Some people don't feel it as strongly. Some have the luck to have their eyes missed. Some wear gogles. Some come in groups and know how to deal with a single person with a limited supply of pepper spray. No matter how you put it, there's a whole lot things to go wrong with using a gun.
>>
>>640674
*A whole lot less*
Goodness.
>>
Thanks all for your help. Think I'm just gonna have to be terrified the first night but I'll get over it.
>>
File: a_shotgun.jpg (251 KB, 4000x838) Image search: [Google]
a_shotgun.jpg
251 KB, 4000x838
>>639810
> I fear sleeping alone at night out there.
You need this.
Also post tits or get the fuck out of this board.
>>
>>640614
You underestimate the number of people who hike just a day at a time in state and national parks. The vast majority of hikers are just average people out for a walk. Most of them are not armed.
>>
ITT: Americans!
>>
>>639810
>tips to get over it
Don't rush it, go with friends or groups your comfortable with until you feel confident enough to give it a try on your own. Taking steps to ensure that you feel comfortable and will stay safe/isolated will reduce your anxiety far more than any reactive measure will.
>>
>>640437
>bear spray

An attacker is not going to run away like a bear. Pepper sprays are useless on their own unless you are close enough to other people/the police to get help while the guy is still incapacitated.
>>
>>640791
Have you ever been bear sprayed? It's debilitating. Hard to breathe, impossible to see, crying and agony. More than enough to give time to grab literally anything and bludgeon whatever is dumb enough to sit there and do anything else but run
>>
>>640846
So you cannot pull the trigger on a gun but you can beat a blind man with a stick until he is dead or too crippled to chase you?

How is that any better from a 'compassion' standpoint?

And that aside guns cannot be defeated by goggles or blow back in your own face if its windy.
>>
>>640865
Do many rapists wear goggles in the expectation that they'll randomly come across a lone young woman in the woods, on the off chance that she'll have pepper spray?

And I was the one saying it may be easier to pull the trigger on pepper spray than a gun, different from the anon saying to bludgeon the assailant.
>>
>>639810
Bring a gun, there's a legit chance you'll be raped. Also the fuck you mean animals wouldn't hurt you?
>>
>>640621
I usually set up a few tarps around my tent to form a "U" shaped camp. I put my tent in the back of the "U" and my fire in the mouth of the "U"

Then I can face outwards from behind my fire and know that whatever wanted to hurt me would have to come from one direction. While at the fire and while I sleep I have a Mossberg 500 pistol grip (Shotgun) within arms reach.

In the morning I take it all down and enjoy the outdoors.
>>
>>639817
i dunno mang especially since the aztec lunar calendar has taken full turn this year, i heard pretty weird stories are happening right now in the woods, id carry at least one totem with me, if i were you, i carry several
>>
15 posts recommending OP bring a gun. Meanwhile, the useful info came in the first 10 posts then everybody bailed.
>>
>>640873
If someone was trying to hurt me, I'd take the non lethal option over a gun. Yes, I think a few blunt trauma points on the legs etc is more compassionate than a gunshot wound
>>
>>640865
Also, the "blind man" you are bludgeoning just tried to rape you. Gtfo if your trying to defend the person from being sprayed/hit when they are trying to overpower and rape you
>>
Not trying to discourage or scare you, but a lone attractive 18 year old girl camping away from help is dangerous. There are people who may try to hurt you and who would come to save you? I highly doubt any rangers would recommend a lone girl to camp in the middle of no where.
>>
File: smug_cat_bitch.jpg (85 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
smug_cat_bitch.jpg
85 KB, 1280x720
>>640939
OP never said she was attractive
>>
>>640873
> wearing rape goggles for sex
> not wearing beer goggles for sex

Get on my level.

> wearing both goggles for sex
>>
>>640950
> implying ugly, fat, retarded, smelly homeless women aren't at risk.

There is somebody for everyone, anon.
>>
File: 1448971566336.jpg (409 KB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
1448971566336.jpg
409 KB, 2448x3264
>>640960
How romantic
>>
no tits no care
>>
girls shouldn't be given guns, fwiw
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-06-29-18-48-46.png (223 KB, 320x480) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-06-29-18-48-46.png
223 KB, 320x480
>>640974
> mfw chicks with guns are hot!

I am not afraid of an empowered woman, why are you?
>>
>>640976
distasteful penis envy, is all

it's funny that I'm leaning towards kilts for outdoor wear

>mfw I'm more liberated than any pants wearing broad
>>
>>640623

I got the /out/ side down, I was looking more for suggestions of places to go in michigan that are a little bit more interesting than walking through some trees coming up to the parking lot and leaving.

Was hopping you guys had some cool recommendations for where I should go.
>>
>>641048
Try Ontario.
>>
File: gnK3aY7.jpg (190 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
gnK3aY7.jpg
190 KB, 720x960
>>640978
>kilt for outdoor
Amen brother.
>>
>>641050

no passport
>>
>>639810
Wear ear plugs the first couple nights, you won't be used to the noises and might have problem sleeping even if you're not scared. Once you're used to it you won't need them.
>>
>>640932
Way to miss the point.

If you cannot pull a trigger and shoot a man trying to kill/rape you because of 'compassion' then you should logically not be able to beat him until he is crippled with a stick.

My point is you should just fucking shoot them. Pepper spray and a stick is not as safe for you which is the only relevant consideration in a self defence situation in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>639810
Post tits or gtfo
>>
>>639810
I always take music& a book with me (just a plain ipod from the early ages) so if there are creepy noises i can always ignore them. I always make sure i am not too visible, and i keep a knife next to my pillow. That wouldn't really help of course, but I always reason like this: That guy is probably gonna come head first in my tent and i can stab his eye out then.
>>
>>641179
>That guy is probably gonna come head first in my tent and i can stab his eye out then.

I think the exact same way! except stab his eye out, I use blow his brains out. Sure is nice to live in a free state.
>>
>>640391
Bollocks
>>
File: f4ENa1GgYN-2[1].png (33 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
f4ENa1GgYN-2[1].png
33 KB, 300x250
>>640048
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIRDCbP2SZQ
Mandatory dosings.
>>
>>640752
>post tits
>this board
This board is blue, newfriend. Perhaps you'd better lurk moar or just go back to where you're more comfortable:
>>>/b/
>>
>>640045
>>640419
>>640752
>>640967
>>641165
>tits
This board is SFW. You faggots need to learn the rules, then read the sticky, then lurk (definition: do not post) until you can come up with better material.
>>
>>641376
>>641379
I bet you don't even leave trails.
>>
File: 1442844580159.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1442844580159.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>be american
>not having a rifle/shotgun or at least an handgun with you at all times when /out/
it's like you want to get fucked.
>>
>>640620
>>640620
>being this big
>still being a pussy
Dude how would you even go /out/ if you were a 5'10ft 158lb manlet like me?
>>
>>641404
how do you like that helmet?
>>
>>641404
I've used that gun on battlefield.

Its got really strong recoil right ?
>>
>>641416
>>641419
Random pic anons, I'm a eurokek so no fun allowed.
>>
>>639817

I wouldn't worry about it
>>
>>641413
the thing is size doesn't matter most it was the point of my entire post that you missed
if i was your size it would exactly be the same
for a grizzly or a skinwalker it's all the same or for a crazy killer with a gun
>>
>>640978
>>641054

> itt guys want to wear dresses
> itt guys hate women and are afraid
>>
>>641469
>skinwalker
Bro pls, are you 12? This /x/ and /k/ meme should have died already

>crazy killer
Unless he will kill you as soon as he get you on sight, he will choose a weaker person.
>>
>>640391
>Humans are pigs and sheep, we're weak and die easily.

>The only reason we conquered the wild and other humans is through force

You do realise that this makes no sense, right? And that humans were by far the apex predator of the world long, long before we had guns? Bring a knife OP, and most animals won't be a threat. If a bear attacks you, there's a good chance you're fucked anyway, unless you've got a gun designed for hunting bears.

Animals aren't going to bother you anyway, keep your site clean, and at most they'll come in, sniff around, and then leave again, you aren't that interesting.
>>
File: IMG_20151129_164616-1.jpg (472 KB, 1761x1333) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151129_164616-1.jpg
472 KB, 1761x1333
>>641588
>>
>>641473
What is irony, Alex?
>>
>>639810
I camp in a Rocky Mountain place where grizzlies coming into people's tents is a reality (but rare). I made a twin-size bed area in the back of my small SUV and sleep in there, just for peace of mind while I am helpless.

I have bear spray and a handgun for protection while awake, and set up a cooking screen tent and bathroom tent for daytime use.

Car sleeping is secure and warmer with only body heat than a tent.
>>
>>641484
skinwalkers are just a substitute for the unknown i think. once you are out there in the dark woods at night you suddenly become less sure if you really know everything that could be out there that was all i was saying. yes it's silly but still an unsettling feeling. i'm a rational guy and there is not much i actually fear when i can see it. still gets to me. i guess i just have to go out more maybe i get used to it.

when you are out alone in the woods how he will choose a weaker person. before i always went with company and i never felt this vulnerability. altho it often crossed my mind that a fucking poacher can just clip me for no good reason either he fails to make sure what he is shooting at or just mad cause i scare his game or just cause he is a miserable cunt and thinks he can get away with it. but when you are not alone it's more risky someone might call the police and he might not have his head start or get caught running red-handed with the gun.

so there is definitely more risk. not to mention injury has more sever consequences when you go alone.
>>
>>641592
I hope you noticed that I mentioned that you can have guns that will work, but that most people won't have them, or the ammo to use with them that will take down a bear. Even hunters with rifles pretty much explicitly designed to kill bears comment on how damn hard to kill they are, it'll often take a couple shots to the head. Really, don't over-estimate how dangerous the wild is, or how aggressive animals are, but at the same time, don't over-estimate how powerful you are either.

Humans are dangerous as hell, and we are actually pretty durable, a broken leg will kill most animals without treatment whereas humans will just find it difficult to walk at worst, without treatment. But we're not so durable or powerful that something like a bear, which is a very different predator to what we are, won't still kill the fuck out of us, even with a gun.
>>
>>641605
humans can be pretty damn durable too i'm surprised sometimes.
there was a woman a polar bear caught in his mouth and tried with all his 1400 pound to pull her through the bars of his cage. the woman not only survived bit didn't even lose a chunk of flesh.
at other times a dude falls wrong and never gets up.
>>
>>641610
We definitely can be, humans go through all sorts of shit that animals do and come out damn near unscathed, whereas they come out with broken bones and pretty beaten up.

But yeah, as you said, other times we just seem to die from the most trivial shit, like falling over, banging your brain too hard and that's it.

I guess it makes sense though really, our power as a species comes largely from our ability to just keep going. We don't hunt by rushing at what we want to kill and biting it to death, so we don't have a tough hide like other predators do. I dunno really, it's pretty crazy what humans survive though, I mean, we have a whole heap of people that just have nothing below the belly button area, they're just completely bisected, and are still alive. Admittedly that's because of modern medicine, but still, what other vertebrate animal could do that?
>>
>>639810
Eh. Just keep a handgun or something on you in case you run into some crazy person, and know how to use it. Thats the only scary thing out there if you ask me. Plus plinking in the wilderness is the best thing in the world.
Also make sure someone knows where and when you are going. I dont remember seeing that in this thread.
>>
>>639817
>>
>>641602
like how when people say zombies, they mean brown people
>>
>>641605
>shooting for the head on an unarmored opponent
heart and lungs or go home. the heart by itself is a larger target than a grizzly brain
>>
File: 45-70-feature.png (278 KB, 1200x333) Image search: [Google]
45-70-feature.png
278 KB, 1200x333
>>641605
.45-70 ... I've taken many a bear with a single shot
>>
>>640770
Thank you, I appreciate that info
>>
>>641594
I'm sorry, the answer we were looking for, was "what is sardony?"
>>
File: IMG_2099.jpg (1 MB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2099.jpg
1 MB, 1632x1224
How could is my plan in pic related, its next to stream. I could sleep under the rock

From this
>>
File: IMG_2099 - Copy.jpg (1 MB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2099 - Copy.jpg
1 MB, 1632x1224
>>642351
To this, its on town land so I would sneak my AK with me.
>>
>>642352
What's the fence for? Also rain will get in between the rock and tarp and fall on you.
>>
>>642354
Its for mental comfort, that something is inbetween me and nature. Thanks I will get a bigger tarp. to wrap around the back of the rock.
>>
>>642361
if you need a fence, you aren't ready yet.
>>
>>642351
this spot in PA ?
>>
>>642371
MA
>>
>>642369
But your rulling out all the benefits of a fence, like a wind breaker for the fire.
>>
>>642377
It's MA, not Alaska... relax. You don't need a fence. Don't be building fences and carrying an AK on state land.

Go out, camp, and relax. It's not hard.
>>
File: 1449454598676.jpg (370 KB, 816x612) Image search: [Google]
1449454598676.jpg
370 KB, 816x612
>>642351

MSR master race checking in
>>
>>639817
that feeling is called "being a woman". dont worry, women have been feeling it for the entirety of our species history. the solution is to find a man to go with you.
>>
>>642361
> Literally parroting Survival Lily's Ultimate Bugout Shealter right now
>>
>>640491

Lost Creek Wilderness in Pike National Forest. Any of the trailheads just west of Decker. Those are my favorite areas. Plus, there is sick rock climbing out there, and a cool burn area (Hayman fire) to check out.

However, I have no idea what the snow is doing over there.
Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.