[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of those Bear Grylls knives?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: BearGryllsGerberKnives.png (696 KB, 960x390) Image search: [Google]
BearGryllsGerberKnives.png
696 KB, 960x390
Dear Sc/out/s,

So some survivalists opened up a store in my area and most of what they have is second hand. I have nothing against second-hand items. One item they have, priced at $25 and in near perfect condition is a Bear Grylls knife that was full tang/had a fire-rod in the sheath. I couldn't tell the model given the clerks were aggressively trying to show me everything in their store but the blade was sharp enough to cut my thumb if I had wanted to. I'm not familiar with the Bear-Gerber knives and figured I'd come ask you sc/out/s about your thoughts/experiences regarding them.

Thanks in advance,
CAMP-CRAFT.

P.S: Forgive me for my lack of etiquette; first time posting in /out/ and I'm not too experienced with 4chan either.
>>
>>639658
i would never buy his stuff, i aint no piss drinker + none of them have a brass knuckle hand guard so you can't punch the shit out of a bear when he decides to maul you.
>>
>>639658

I myself don't care for their knives...or Gerber for that matter. If you're not anal about steels, or need a beater knife, I'd buy it.

I do enjoy the BG ferro rod though.
>>
>>639658
decent blade, not the best by any means usually you're buying the name more than the actual knife
>>
>>639681
Glad to get your opinion on both Bear's line of knives & Gerber. I've almost no experience with them ( I've always liked Buck ) so I'm relying on yours. I was simply looking at it as a cheap option to toss into a "Get Home" bag I'd keep in a car. I'm glad to hear you at least liked the BG-Ferro; can you tell me what you like about it and what you dislike about the BG Knife?

>>639683
Well, a "decent" blade for $25 seems like it would be a decent purchase. Given it sounds like you have experience with it where would you rate the blade on a 1-10 scale and what makes the blade decent/where could it be improved?
>>
File: gbgtang1.jpg (33 KB, 250x333) Image search: [Google]
gbgtang1.jpg
33 KB, 250x333
>>639691
You're welcome. Plus if I remember right, the BG knives don't have a full tang, that the pummeling is just attached to the handle like pic related. I hope they addressed that issue and fixed it with the newer ones.

A lot of my knives I prefer is Esee, Becker, I do got a buck 119 I love, but don't use it due to being a gift from my gramps who passed away. I also have a few custom made knives from like Helm forge, LT wright.
>>
>>639708

As for why I don't like it. I don't care to much for stainless steel. Sure if you don't oil your blades, live near the ocean, than that is a dif story. If you take care of your blades and oil them, carbon is a good way to go. If you're just gonna toss the knife in the bag and forget about it, you might want to look at stainless.

Also the handles never felt good in my hands. Which is a big problem right there.

I like the rod cause it never let me down. The striker was sharp and it threw some good sparks for me.
>>
>>639708
>>639720

Oh, one more thing. I notice my carbon blades have stayed sharp longer than my stainless blades have.
>>
Why is there a new thread on this every other day ? Do people come here after watching his shows ? Or is the only semi-cool looking knife they sell at Walmart ?

They are functional but you can do better. If you already have one just keep it and use it.
>>
>>639658
>Thanks in advance,
>CAMP-CRAFT.
>>
>>639708
>>639720
>>639724
Thanks for the replies, mate. I really appreciate your feedback. This one did have a full tank but seeing your pic of the broken BG knife has raised questions of durability and I think I'll stay off that knife.

>>639755
No, I didn't just suddenly want one of the BG knives after seeing his show. I'm asking about the knives because $25 for the blade/fire-rod seemed like a good deal if the blade in question was a decent blade. The impression this thread has given me is that this isn't a knife I'd want to place in a get-home bag because the blade's quality seems like it was less important to the maker(s) than the name(s) selling it.
>>
>>639819

You're welcome. You said you were building a get home bag. What is your budget for the knife, as well as blade length? Be more than glad to list some off for you.
>>
A lot of the stuff I can make myself but the blade is the one thing I'm willing to spend money on. Ideally no more than $150 but I know there are plenty of quality knives in the $50-$100 range. I'm not too picky on the blade length but I'd ideally like a drop-point blade; I could live with a tanto. Currently I'm thinking of going with a knife from Buck but I'd be more than happy to listen to any recommendations you have.

With this having been said I believe it is time for me to get some sleep. From what I understand this board moves pretty slow so this thread should be here in the morning. In the event it was pruned I'll re-make this thread and hopefully I can get your answer tomorrow.

Best regards,
CAMP-CRAFT.
>>
>>639849

You shoukd look at the Esee 5. Has a glass breaker, full tang, 1/4th inch thick, 1095 carbon steel, dat warranty, pretty can be used as a pry bar (used mine as a pry bar, works amazing) it is gonna be under 150 including snh. Make you buy it from a listed dealer. Esee is a very popular knife, a shit load of counterfeits are produced.

Or you can go with the BK 7. Which the only bad things said about the knife, is the handles are meh and kinda slippery when wet, the sheath is so so.
>>
>>639855
Dearest Adolf,

I looked at the Esee 5 as well as the other knives displayed on the website and liked them but am not 100% sold. They are now the front-runner. If you say the BK 7 has a slippery grip then I'd rather not mess with it but thank you for that suggestion as well.

Looking forward to conversing with you later into the day,
CAMP-CRAFT
>>
>>640077

Why are you not sold on them? Also when I say "dat warranty" is cause esee has one of the best warranties out there. No matter how it breaks, be it on accident or on purpose, Esee will replace it for free(I've broken a few in my time...be it from prying stuff open, using it as a throwing knife, just other dumb shit). This is a complete life time warranty, as long as you have it, even if it is 50 yrs from now, they will still replace it (given that is if they still are around making knives) I love their heat treat on the blades, found to be one of the longest lasting sharpness out there. Go to youtube or bladeforum.com, you'll see nothing but praise.

The BK7 can easily be fixed. Either wrapping the handle with a small piece of bike inner tube, or just replacing the handles with micarta. Go look up preparedmind101, he will go into detail about the knife for 30 mins, does great reviews.

Alfieaesthetics does a great video too of the BK 7

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B4wSFXQSW4Y

also check out a guy called MCQbushcraft. He is a survival instructor as well as an outdoor youtuber, he gives many praise to the Esee 6 and Izula 2 (my personal fav of the Esee world) was his two main carrying blades, until he got into custom made ones.

Schrade.is also a good brand to look at. Ppl will say crap about how it's made over seas(which is true, nothing wrong with that), or their quality control sucks, which was the point at one time, they really up their CQ in the last couple yrs, have had no problem with them.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eClZiUaNntw

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_B0SRsP_ag

Hope this all helps.
>>
>>639658
Hey bud you're new and /out/ is a nice board so nobody had told you but you're being a real newfag. The name field isn't there to be filled in just leave it. You don't need to sign your posts either.
As for your question like other anon said it's fine for $25 but it's not God's gift to sharp objects
Have fun funposting friend
>>
>>639658
>Bear Grylls knife that was full tang/had a fire-rod in the sheath
there is no such thing
>>
>>640077
esee 5 of bk 7 same difference
you can replace handles on both they gonna be fairly indestructible
esee maybe a bit better quality controlled and yes the handle is better altho you can order the bk with g10 handles in various colors

they are "both too much knife" you would be better served by something smaller and lighter.
>>
Get this and a ferro rod.
http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Companion-Sandvik-Military-4-1-Inch/dp/B009NZVZ3E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1449090562&sr=8-2&keywords=mora+bushcraft
>>
>>640231

Mhm. So many options from both those dealers.

Got Esee 3, 4, izula 2, few other ones in that catagory.

With Becker you got the 15, 16, 17, the BK 10 (like a smaller version of the BK 7) and a few others.

Condor makes some semi decent knives, like the bushlore.

With how these two brands are so damn popular, you'll find so many after market sheaths, handles, carrying systems, etc.

Also OP, if you want a bigger blade, BK 9 and Esee Junglas are good picks too.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (34 KB, 497x295) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
34 KB, 497x295
>>640217
Really?
>>
>>640276

It's not full tang though, only runs like 3/5 of the handle.
>>
>>640181

My post, forgot to put my trip in.
>>
>>640197

Please don't call me the "f" word.

CAMP-CRAFT
>>
>>640181
Dearest Adolf,

The knives looked nice and I'm familiar with PM101. I don't like the price and the sheath I'd be paying for. I'd wind up paying another $30 for a sheath to be made at the leather shop down the street from me which would mean I'm paying about $200-$210.

>>640305
Hmm, an impersonator. I can see why the other fellow ( >>640197 ) was right about using a name. I might have to start going without. Thanks for the warning, Anon. Sorry the other Anon went after you as me. You didn't deserve it considering you were just trying to warn me about using a name.
>>
>>640311

The stock sheaths are not bad. Depending in what one you get, it will come with kydex one. You should go to bladehq.com and check out the Esee 4. 4 inch blade, does a lot of good tasks. Will only run you like 115 for snh, take the knife and go get your sheath, you should still be under the 150 mark, depending on the expense of the leather sheath.
>>
>>640322

https://www.bladehq.com/index.php?view=cart
>>
>>640322
Dearest Adolf,

Thanks a lot. I'll set aside some cash and put the order in come February. When I finally get it and get to put it through some paces I'll be sure to post about it and let you know.

Best regards,
CAMP-CRAFT.
>>
>>640332

Why don't you make a spam email and give it to me. I've enjoy our conversation, it'd be nice to continue on about get home bags, stuff of that nature.
>>
>>640339
Dearest Adolf,

I've already got a protonmail.com address in the works; just waiting. Give it till tomorrow and if it still is not there I'll make a throw-away gmail. I've also enjoyed our conversation and I get the feeling I could learn a good deal more from you.

Until tomorrow,
CAMP-CRAFT.
>>
>>640342

Have you been to zombiehunters.org? A board of nothing but being prepared, guns, gear, etc, etc.

Sweet, when you get your email set up, let me know.
>>
>>639680

>brass knuckle hand guard so you can't punch the shit out of a bear when he decides to maul you

>punch the shit out of a bear

wow, ok, yeah good luck with that
>>
>>640344

Dearest Adolf,
I checked it out after seeing your post. I'll take more time to explore it when I get home from my trip. In the meantime you can reach me via [email protected] or on this thread; the latter I'll stop using after today.
>>
Total shit, you pay for the name.
>>
>>640440
works every time on black bears
if it's a grizzly or a polar bear it's still better to go out fighting rather than screaming like a little girl so you can enter valhalla
>>
>>640751

Why the fuck aren't you body slamming it?!?!?
>>
File: 1445039504791.png (160 KB, 2053x2041) Image search: [Google]
1445039504791.png
160 KB, 2053x2041
>>640970
>>
>>640972

That's an elbow drop, not a body slam.
>>
>>641010
• Tips fedora•
>>
>>641020

That came off pretty gay.
>>
>>640970
cause body-slam doesn't really works on 1000 pound creatures that can dig thru you in 2 seconds
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 331x473) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 331x473
>>641318
You're not trying hard enough plebe
>>
>>641318

1000 pounds? Do you even lift?
>>
>>641318
Try starting with a parang paracorded to your chest the first few times, after you get the hang of it you can lose the parang, but I like to leave it on, call me old fashioned I guess
>>
>>639658
Gerber is overpriced Fiskars, Bear Grylls branded is over priced Gerber...
Tl;dr buy a Fiskars™ and support Spürdo shitposting.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.