[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Crayfish/crawdads/crawfish for survival and fun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Oregon crayfish.jpg (283 KB, 984x1460) Image search: [Google]
Oregon crayfish.jpg
283 KB, 984x1460
They're mostly an invasive species around here, and the state encourages people to harvest them (as well as bullfrogs). This is easy-mode fishing; you can literally catch them by hand with a bit of practice. Anyone else a crawdad fan?
>>
>>639637
dude I watched an awesome video of a guy catching crawfish with a "trash" fish he caught.

he speared a fish close to the river bank, cut it up and put it in shallow water, and picked up the crawfish as they moved towards the hunk of flesh.
>>
>>639644
If the crawfish population is dense (true of a lot of smaller streams), you don't even need to bait them; you can just pick one, get behind it, drop a rock in front of it, then use your hands to catch it as it reflexively scoots backward. Then you just toss it in a bucket with a bit of water in it. Repeat again and again as much as you want.
>>
File: Washington.png (688 KB, 1242x786) Image search: [Google]
Washington.png
688 KB, 1242x786
Washington's regs are a smidge heavier, it seems.

I used to catch them for giggles when I was a kid, in AZ. Never really thought about them since, and now that my interest is piqued the season is over. Curses.
>>
>>639693
Washingtonian here, stealing this. Thanks!
>>
>>639637
Crawdad's are interesting. Always a sign of good fishing.
>>
Crawfish are delicious. There's a reason they're called freshwater lobster.

Catch a bunch and gave a good old crawfish boil. It's amazing.
>>
Are there any risks to eating crawfish? I.e.: parasites
>>
>>639885
You cook them by boiling them, so no as long as they're cooked there's no issues at all.
>>
>>639885
Theyre damn near a food staple in many parts of the country.
>>
>>639879
They're also commonly called mud bugs. I don't dislike em, they just aren't worth the hype to me. And I say hype because I grew up in Louisiana so everyone goes ape shit over em. When you say you don't eat them, people there look at you like just fucked the whole of their immediate family.

For the price and effort, I would rather have the same amount of shrimp, oysters crabs etc especially since they just end up tasting like whichever "boil" they're cooked in
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.