[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hammocks vs. Tents...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /out/ - Outdoors

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 16
File: SnugpakScorpion2.png (1 MB, 900x598) Image search: [Google]
SnugpakScorpion2.png
1 MB, 900x598
I'm traditionally a tent camper. I was raised in a household where we had one or two tents and used them during the summer when visiting various festivals. Until today ( my first post in /out/ was about 24 hours ago ) I had no idea that hammock camping was a thing and it made me curious about the best brands, advantages/disadvantages, etc. Off the top of my head it seems like hammock-camping would not only keep you further away from, what can often times be, sickeningly-cold ground but, has the ability to open more usable space to you in a wooded area ( not needing flat ground ) at the cost of being family-friendly.

What do you, being the sc/out/doorsmen that you are, prefer for camping: Hammocks or tents? What conditions/situations would make you decide to go with the opposite of your preference? If you prefer the hammock what brand(s) do you find to be best and why? Do they have cold-weather/4 season hammocks? They seem neato ( I'm open-minded, I promise! ) but I'm not convinced that they are better than tents at this point in spite of being off the ground. I'd love to know more about the advantages and disadvantages of each from people who do both.

Pic related: a Snugpak Scorpion 2 tent not entirely unlike the tent I used as a boy.
>>
Look into Warbonnet. Specifically the Blackbird Xlc. That baby is awesome! I look at hammock camping as a way to lighten my load and get further out to where I wanna go
>>
>>639527
>hammock-camping would not only keep you further away from, what can often times be, sickeningly-cold ground
Yeah, but.... The problem with hammocks is all that airflow underneath you is even worse than cold ground. Of course you can use an under quilt to combat this.
Hammocks are nice, but honestly aren't really any lighter/smaller than a decent tent set up if you're going full bore with tarp, under/overquilt, and a bugnet.

However in favorable conditions where you don't need all that stuff they can be quite comfortable.

Over all I prefer tent camping, but I usually bring a hammock as well for lounging around and the occasional overnight near a fire in nice weather.

Ultimately it just comes down to what you prefer.

Now there's also the option of hammock tents (Tentsile) which seem totally awesome in theory but are heavy as fuck and kind of inherit the disadvantages of both hammocks and tents.. But the idea of having stacked tents suspended between trees with a central ladder/passage is strangely appealing.
>>
File: DSCF2665-2.jpg (250 KB, 2880x2304) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2665-2.jpg
250 KB, 2880x2304
I prefer hammock because as long as I have two trees I have a consistent and comfortable and warm bed. Uneven ground, rocks, damp ground and snow that no longer both me.

But the caveat is you need two trees. I get around that by using a bridge hammock with a CCF pad (instead of an UQ), so if disaster strikes and I end up my day without trees, or if my hammock breaks, I can just set up on the ground with my tarp and pad and still be well insulated.

Tons of other preferential benefits too, such as:

- small soft bag when packed, opposed to dealing with packing a tent

- integrated bug net / integrated pockets (on mine anyway)

- flexibility of hammock and tarp as separate items. Stop for lunch and it's pissing? Bang the tarp up. Stop for the night and it's clear and calm? Don't bother with the tarp

- afternoon naps on the trail

- makes a great chair, nice for dealing with your boots

- not as messy as a tent when the weather is bad,

- can pitch on hills

- lets you feel superior to ground dwellers ;)
>>
>>639533
They look neat and I love the thought of a winter option that can be purchased with it. They seem a lot better than the DD Hammocks I just finished looking at and I'm now curious as to other brands. If you weren't going with a Warbonnet which brand would you pick and why?

>>639534
Yeah, I don't like the thought of a tentsile. Thank you for your feedback.

>>639537
Those are a lot of ( good ) reasons for picking a hammock over a tent!

>>639533
>>639534
>>639537
What are some good brands and why are they good? Which brand do you prefer and why? I like what I saw of the Warbonnet Blackbird/Blackbird XLC and just saw a very interesting video ( see below ) highlighting Hennessey hammocks which apparently come with a lot of the things people normally buy separate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TuOSeNVRJE
>>
Can any hammockfags help me with something? Is it possible to hammock without trees?

I live in an area where when I go /out/, there's usually not very many trees, and im interested in hammocking simply because it's less shit to carry than a tent or a bivi. Hammock + trekking poles, or what?
>>
>>639550
bumping for interest
>>
>>639559
:D Thanks!
>>
>>639537
How do you like your ridgerunner? I use a gathered end hammock, but always wanted to try out a bridge.
>>
>>639555
Anything that is sturdy enough to hold a hammock, is also very heavy. I know of zero lightweight options for this.
>>
File: 1440828115296.png (433 KB, 360x408) Image search: [Google]
1440828115296.png
433 KB, 360x408
>>639563
>>
File: icejam.jpg (914 KB, 1426x1070) Image search: [Google]
icejam.jpg
914 KB, 1426x1070
>>639555
lay it on the ground/
>>
>>639567
Then doesnt that just defeat the whole purpose of a hammock? If it matters any, I can usually find a couple trees when I go /out/, but its rare to find some that are close enough to eachother to string a hammock between

I live in a weird biome, it's desert and mountain but there's a river valley with willow trees and shit
>>
File: 41QIIVsUVlL._SY400_.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
41QIIVsUVlL._SY400_.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
>>639550
Well there are a ton of brands to choose from.

If you want a mass produced hammock, brands like ENO, Yukon Outfitters, and Grand Trunk and DD hammocks are probably the big ones. Nothing wrong with them at all. If you want to just try a hammock out, get a Grand trunk ultralight. They are as low as $15 on amazon. You'll need straps to attach to a tree. ENO atlas straps are like $24.

If you want a more custom set up, brands like Arrowhead Equipment, Dutchware, Warbonnet, Jacks r Better, and Dream Hammock are custom made items, and very well respected in the hammock community. Hammock forums has tons of info on it if you're curious. Hennessy Hammocks are well respected as well, and offer integrated weather protection, no need to buy a separate tarp. Some people prefer their own tarp however.
>>
File: DSCF5816-2-2.jpg (1 MB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
DSCF5816-2-2.jpg
1 MB, 1200x800
>>639562

I used a gathered end hammock for years before making the switch. Overall it's been great. It is a really well thought out piece of gear, and their customer service is good too (I broke one of the pole pieces and they sent me a replacement for free priority shipping)

It's way more consistent than a gathered end IMO and that's because a pad is just way less messing around than an UQ.

The main downsides are:

- wide span needed, exacerbated by whoopee sling minimum distances, which sometimes means creative hangs (climbing trees to get the straps up, often just with a hiking pole)

- It is not so good for sitting up in, or using as a chair. For sleeping, however, it's the tits.

- Wide on the head end spreader bars, so if you want side cover with your tarp you need to size up. I use a 3x3m tarp whereas when I had used a gathered end I used a asym diagonal which was tiny.

tldr would buy again, would recommend
>>
>>639572
So what are your preferences and why? You seem knowledgeable and I'd love to get some of your insights.
>>
File: diy-no-sew-PLUQ.jpg (101 KB, 612x872) Image search: [Google]
diy-no-sew-PLUQ.jpg
101 KB, 612x872
>>639572
Continued...if you're in a hammock, your butt will get cold, it's inevitable. Even inside a sleeping bag, you'll be cold. Your weight will compress a sleeping bag, taking away much of its insulation.

You mentioned an insulated hammock. They exist, but are custom made, and aren't popular really since you basically have to sew them yourself. Some people will make you one, but it's hard to find any. No commercial manufacturers produce them.

Cheapest and easiest option is to use a pad. A foam pad is like $10 at walmart, and will work. You can get nicer pads, like a thermarest, or even an inflatable pad. Inflatables aren't as nice in a hammock, since they are meant to make the ground softer to lay on, this isn't an issue in a hammock, so foam pads are best in my opinion.

Option 2 is an underquilt. Could make a whole thread just on them. It's basically the bottom of a sleeping bag hung below your hammock. Doesn't get compressed by your weight, so they stay warm. Tons of options. Cheapest is a $50 snugpak underblanket. I have one. For the price it's amazing. You can also make your own out of a poncho liner (pic realted). DD also makes an underquilt that's a lot like the Snugpak, only a little nicer. Also twice as expensive. ENO makes underquils but they are expensive for what they are.

Custom made ones from hammock gear, underground quilts, Warbonnet, Jacks r better, and enlightened equipment are awesome, but expensive. Arrowhead Equipment makes synthetic ones (not down) that are really nice for the price. A Jarbidge from them is $100, will take you to 25 degrees, and is really nice. They are 3/4 length so you use a small pad under your feet for insulation (like a sit pad). Arrowhead also makes full length ones for more $, but still cheaper than most other custom quilts.
>>
>>639576
Well its hard since everyone is different, but I currently use a Yukon Double hammock, atlas straps to hang it, and a Snugpak underblanket. Add a cheap tarp and you've got a complete setup for about $100.

I also own a grand trunk ultralight. It's awesome for $15. It's a great way to try a hammock. Get one of those, a $10 pad, and tree straps.... you're ready for less than $50.

If you go to outdoor gear lab's website (Google them) they do a large hammock comparison of major brands. Keep in mind they do not have an custom made choices in the comparison, and most seasoned hammock users end up with ones from the custom companies I listed.
>>
I like a lot of what I'm reading so far but I do have more questions I want to ask: Is there a temperature where you would opt for a tent instead of a hammock? Which hammock is best for winter use; lets say I'm going to Wisconsin, Minnesota or the Michigans where the weather can get -40F?
>>
>>639633
Look up shugemery on youtube. He has a video of his camping trip in Minnesota, -40F, in a hammock.

Actually he has a lot of info on his channel, whole series about how to hammock. Hes kind of a cheeseball, but in a kind of endearing way. Hes a professional juggler comedian, if that gives you a sense of his humor. Regardless, he absolutely knows his shit about hammock camping.
>>
>>639633
Also, any hammock can be used in winter. It's just tour insulation (pad, underquilt, top quilt) that will change.

You can also look up hammock socks. They add a lot of warmth. Hammocks like the DD jingle hammock have a top cover that can hold in some heat too. Plenty of other hammocks have that as well. Dutchware sells a winter sock for about $55. You still need top/bottom insulation, but they do add warmth.
>>
>>639555
yes. you can hammock into rock faces.
>>
>>639571
You can hang a hammock between pretty far trees if you attach/tie it properly. Also you can attach a hammock to a rock face.
>>
>>639763
How do you attach a hammock to a rock face?
>>
>>639770
Climbing gear. Much more expensive and heavy than standard hammock straps.
>>
Hammocks only downfall is how cold they get, a ground pad/ thick yoga mat counters that cheaply. But yeah hammocks are the way to go.
>>
>>639527
Tents > hammocks.
>>
>>639796

Although yoga mats work in a pinch they do not have suitable R values to be used for winter insulation and I would definitely not recommend them specifically for camping.

Buy a 5 season CCF CAMPING mat for a tenner and jobs done.

And yes theoretically you could hang from rock - but I've never met anyone who bothers to carry climbing anchors with them. Expensive and heavy for the rarest of occasions to use it..

Other benefits not discussed yet:

- great ventilation in the summer (everyones so concerned about winter)

- off the ground = away from the bugs

- sex swing, amirite!
>>
>>639738
I'll check him out today. Thanks!
>>639741
Good to know; I can always get wool items from my local thrift store if needed.
>>
>>639527
what i prefer depends on the conditions, that's why i have one of both
>>
>>
File: shit no trees today either.jpg (551 KB, 2000x1325) Image search: [Google]
shit no trees today either.jpg
551 KB, 2000x1325
>>
I like to go /out/ in places without built-in hammock mounts (these pictures are from Wyoming and Nevada). Thus, I use a tent.
>>
I prefer a tent over a hammock for the following reasons

>My tent is a 2 man tent. It only weighs 2kg and takes 5 minutes to pitch
>I can pitch my tent anywhere, don't need anchor points and I mostly camp above the tree line anyway
>I like to have my gear in the tent with me
>The weather here is very unpredictable and often I need a well sheltered space to ride out a storm in
>Better all around protection from the wind and bugs too
>It's way more comfy to me personally, especially with my candle lantern
>The little porch is great for cooking in, especially during storms

I enjoy hammock camping but my go-to shelter system will always be a small, lightweight tent.
>>
>>640099
I live on the east coast, always blows my mind to go out west.... no trees is just really strange to me since I grew up surrounded by them.
>>
Yukon Outfitters hammock with bug net. Recently on sale at woot for $20. Their walkabout rainfly was also on sale for $20. For $40 you can have a pretty good hammock system. When the alpha survival kit goes on sale again (got mine for $90). You get their alpha pack (5.11 rush clone), hammock, rainfly, decent folding knife, 3L bladder, survival kit (has a little fishing kit, fire steel, hand saw, etc), F.A. Kit, and flashlight lantern.
Just keep checking woot dot com. Their stuff goes on sale all the time.
Pic related is the Alpha survival kit.
>>
File: HandyHammockStand.jpg (224 KB, 677x418) Image search: [Google]
HandyHammockStand.jpg
224 KB, 677x418
If someone loves Hammocking, but goes to an area without trees you could buy pic related "Handy Hammock" stand from the UK. I don't own one but I'm sure there are users reviews online. It looks really cool though.
>>
>>640320
sleeping out there in that must be incredible
>>
>>640328
Yeah I bet, I suppose its also a good example of winter use for Op.
>>
>>640328
Seems kind of silly given that there are trees all over the place in the background.
>>
>>640331
Yeah seems a bit silly. There is a bunch of pictures on the site, I just thought that one highlighted how the stand worked. Its supposedly relatively lightweight.
>>
>>640320
fuck thats a lot of cordage
>>
If God wanted you to sleep in the sky he would've made you into a bird op don't anger him
>>
>>639537
>small soft pack
>bridge hammock

I really like the idea of hammock camping, but it's really only preferable to camp tenting in a miniscule temperature range. Like 15-20 degrees Celsius. Anything above and you get eaten by mosquitos, anything below and you freeze to death.

Sure you can circumvent all that by bringing 2 giant underquilts and a mosquito net but in the end you'll pack twice the weight of a small bivy tent + pad, not to mention it takes you 3 times as long to set up and limits you to forested areas.

I like your idea with the pad though. Till what temps does it keep you warm?
>>
>>640629
Forgot to add you also have to bring a tarp, and jf it rains you won't even have a space to change into dry clothes or socks
>>
File: DSCF4555.jpg (5 MB, 4896x3264) Image search: [Google]
DSCF4555.jpg
5 MB, 4896x3264
>>640629

In regards to weight:

Ridge runner, about 700g
Tarp, about 700g
Converted sleeping bag, about 800g
CCF pad, about 300g

that ain't bad weight wise, and that's a reasonably chubby hammock setup (bridge hammock and large tarp)

I've slept down to -5 C with my existing setup, and up to 35C (without the CCF pad obviously). Any colder and I'd supplement the pad with an additional one under my torso, and add second quilt (as I don't have the monies for a 4 season down bag) .

As for putting it up taking time, well, sure when you first get it. From scoping out a spot to laying in my hammock under my quilt is about 10 minutes.

It's not for EVERY occasion, sure, but when both a tent and hammock are viable I'll always go with a hammock.
>>
>>640630

DESU theres more space under my 3m x 3m tarp than most <1.5kg tents.

I can stand under my tarp, I can sit on my hammock to put longjohns/trousers/socks/boots etc on,

Hell I can even get undressed whilst in my hammock quite reasonably.
>>
>>640320
At that point would it be the same with bringing tent.
>>
>>640666

Except more comfortable.
>>
Um in my experience, there isn't (at least in my experience) a lot of difference in weight/space take up between a proper backpacking tent and a hammock. The big thing for me is that hammocks are usually a lot easier to set up, don't have to carry poles, and if the weather is okay, you can sleep under the stars.
I use Eno Helios straps which are a bit more basic than the atlas straps, but a bit lighter.
>>
>>640660
That's 1.4 kg for just the tarp and hammock. Add another couple of kgs on top of that for quilt(s), bug nets etc.

Really makes no sense if you think about a decent bivy weighing 1-1.5kg. But I'm not gonna hate, everybody can carry and set up whatever they want. It just makes no sense from a weight perspective.
>>
>>640599
Yeah Im curious how much of a pain it is to setup.

>>640666
True, which is why it makes sense for someone who prefers sleeping in a hammock rather than someone who uses tents. I have a really hard time sleeping on the ground so this would be worth it for me. It just expands the places I can use my Hammock in, you can supposedly just use one and tie onto a tree if your in a region where trees are too far apart.
>>
>>640915
Bugnet included. My pack weight w/o expendables (water etc) is 9kg.

I could get the weight down more, a silnylon tarp would be my next purchase.

My old hammock set up was about half the weight but I find the bridge hammock way more comfortable to sleep in.

No hate necessary from anyone, different strokes and all that. Hammock isn't the be all end all, tents are necessary for alpine use, and I quite like bivvy bags too.

But end of the day the ground is never going to be as comfortable as a hammock.
>>
the true solution is to get a swag
>>
>>641175
*get swag

Son I already got swag. Birches be flocking to my hammock. Banana hammock.

>>641151
But seriously, this guy gets it.

I find hammocks way more comfortable, and more involving in my outdoor experience. Tents are great, just not my thing.

If your thing is tents, great, I'll still camp with you. Different strokes.
>>
>>641539
it's a piece of sleeping equipment, not a lifestyle. "involving" kek, hang yourself instead faggot
>>
I choose hammock since there's plenty of trees in SEA rainforest
>>
>>642835
not my picture tho, also have anybody tried Ticket to the Moon hammock here? How does it compare to DD hammock?
>>
>>640100
What kind of tent do you have? Interested.
>>
Would I be able to fuck my gf in a hammock? Where do you keep your gear?
>>
Is it possible to hammock with a significant other? Meaning is it realistic for two people to sleep in one hammock (perhaps one thats made for two?)
>>
>>639527
Tried hammock... Could never seem to fall asleep in it for more then an hour. and always woke up with the inside of my nose feeling super dry and sorta cold? also the swinging SOMETIMES makes me feel sick.
>>
>>643486
I keep my pack below my tarp, beside my hammock, or laying below my hammock. I keep my gear mostly together and inside my pack.
>>
>>639527

I prefer hammocks. Just cause I got a bad knee. So getting up and down off the ground sucks. Also I like the options of where I can throw up a hammock, not have to worry as much like I do with tent placement.
>>
>>643486

Where do you keep your gear? In your pack, where else? Just fling it underneath your hammock. If you're worried someones going to take it (wut?) then tie it off onto something (you).

As for fucking, yeah but it ain't conventional.
>>
>>643629
I'm more worried that my pack and gear will get soaked. Also if sex in a hammock is overly difficult I may just stick with an ultralight tent.
>>
>>643646

Why would it get soaked if it's under your hammock ? It'd be protected from the weather the same as you/your hammock.

Personally I have a CCF pad off cut I use as a sit-pad. When I'm sleeping I put it under my pack to keep it off the ground. Alternatively you could carry a rubbish bag to put your pack in.

Or tie it to one of the trees, but it's going to be more exposed at that point.

You can clip it to your suspension line, also, so it'd still be under your tarp.

As for sex, well just think about it. It's awesome for her in the hammock you outside (missionary/doggy/blowjobs), if you're both in the hammock spooning and her on top are the easiest but you can't be too jerky in movements.
>>
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/
A few years ago these were only $40...I've abused the fuck out of mine. Still 100% great. I dont understand why you guys think you cant stake it down on the ground just like a tent using the same line you would tie to the tree.
>>
>>643647
You've obviously never been in some good northern Ontario storms, hard rain coming in at all angles. The only way I could think of keeping your pack dry with a hammock would be a bunch of extra tarps.
>>
>>644023

I'm from Scotland mate. I know rain.

Put it another way, once you've set up for the night what's left in your pack that you need to keep dry?
>>
>>644023
In that case a gear sling would work. It's basically like a little baby hammock you hang below your own hammock. You'd also want a good tarp that you can make the ends into doors, to keep weather out.
>>
>>643629
my clark has six huge ass pockets sewn to the underside. it fits all my gear easily and doubles like insulation, so i don't need an underquilt down to about 0 C
>>
File: hammock.jpg (108 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
hammock.jpg
108 KB, 500x334
>>639527
I wouldn’t mind trying out a hammock for summer camping just for the hell of it, but I’m a side / stomach sleeper and that makes hammocks not applicable.
>>
>>644223

Side sleeping no problem in my WBRR
>>
>>644223
Honestly, I was worried about sleeping in a hammock since I'm a side sleeper.

The thing is, that in a hammock, I become a back sleeper. There's a thread on hammockforums about this, and dozens of people chimed in, said the same thing.

Side sleeping isn't that hard in a gathered end hammock. It's definitely easy in a bridge style, like the Warbonnet Ridgerunner (WBRR).

Get a Grand trunk ultralight. $15 on Amazon. You'll need something to hang it. You can use webbing or strong (not paracord) rope to try it out. Paracord works except it stretches a whole lot, making getting the proper sag near impossible. My brother tried 750 cord, couldn't get it right.

One nice thing is the Grand trunk ultralight has very low stretch material, making side sleeping that much easier.
>>
>not hanging your tent between two trees
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.